When will it ever start working? (Abacept)

I started taking Abacept 2 1/2 months ago. Two weeks ago I stopped taking 2 oral meds, Plaquenil, and Sulfasalazine, per my rheumatologist orders. Several days into that change in my meds I noticed a distinct increase in the swelling between the knuckles in both hands, and a overall increased swelling in my right hand. I’d also noticed a measurable increase in my pain and stiffness in both arms, including the collarbones. 😖. So I’ve been in touch with my awesome rheumatologist, and she tells me that it can take some patients up to 6 full months to see a positive response to Abacept.
Now I’m going back on those 2 oral meds for another 3 1/2 - 4 months, keeping my fingers crossed, at least in my head, and wait to see what happens.
Has anyone else here taken a long time to get results from Abacept?

2 Likes

It’s been 12 day since I’ve started taking those 2 oral meds again. Yesterday sucked, but I don’t think I can blame that on the RA. The degenerative arthritis is my neck has been acting up again. But, I do believe I’m starting to see the swelling between my knuckles starting to decrease. That’s some progress. 🙂

2 Likes

I have psoriatic arthritis. I use cbd cream on my hands and other joints
Helps with inflammation. Also helps with pain.

3 Likes

I’ve got to look into that further. We’ve now got some CBD shops in my area that I can get into.

2 Likes

Each person is different. I started humara a week ago. I am waiting on it to work

3 Likes

Sadly the biologic med I’m now taking, it’s the only one I can even try, all the others are made having exposure to latex, either during manufacturing, or in the syringes. Of course, I’m allergic to latex.

2 Likes

Wow that sucks.

3 Likes

Update. I’m no longer taking Orencia as it was ineffective for me, and we were certain since I went nearly the full 6 months of injections.
The good news, we’ve found out that the Enbrel does come in a latex free version! The only drawback for some people is that you have to mix it yourself. The Enbrel comes as a power in the vials, and the syringe contains the liquid needed to mix it. It’s easy enough to mix, and draw back up, etc. A quick shot(s) and you’re done. I have to take 2 shots at a time, since the latex only comes in the 25mg. Then you take these shots twice a week. Keeping my fingers crossed, so to speak. I’ll start a new topic when and) it proves effective for me. Hopefully in a month or two.

2 Likes

Ugh, almost through the 1st month of the Enbrel, and I’m having what I believe is a stress flair. In between the death of my sister 2 months ago, and my daughter’s wedding last weekend I’m worn out. And now it’s time to get my flu shot. Thankfully, I’ve not even had a slight reaction it in the last few years.

1 Like

I’m very sorry for your loss. However, congratulations on your daughter.

2 Likes

I wonder if you could “SUE” the pharmaceutical companies for contaminating medicines! That would surely help with price fixing! Sorry! I hate BIG PHARMA! They make the “GOOD OLD BOYS” look like the Little Rascals! How much More blood can you squeeze from this old beat up body?

1 Like

Ok, while I’m not a fan of “big pharma”, there’s been nothing mentioned in my thread about any medication being contaminated. I certainly have no intent to file a fraudulent lawsuit.

1 Like

I do apologize. I ment no disrespect. I was talking about how “Latex” is the only way to handle, make, produce medicines or other products.

1 Like

Ok, I do understand that. I used to be so frustrated that my doctor was required to request a latex free version of the flu vaccine from the pharmacy for years, and there were some years I had to go outside the VA to get it in a timely manner. People don’t realize that it takes 6 weeks for it to be fully effective in your body. Mind you, that’s if the CDC got their prediction right.

2 Likes

Thank you all for understanding my comments. I will refrain from bringing up big pharma… i will from now on; proof read my statements and make sure that that are on topic and Not Offensive. God bless! Again, Thank you!

2 Likes

I think it’s fair to say that most of us are not fans of big pharma. I now get some meds from Canada and can get 3-4 months worth for the cost of 1 month here.

1 Like