Welcome to the Stroke Community ๐Ÿ˜Š

Support for stroke survivors, caregivers, and loved ones.

Welcome! This is a place to introduce yourself and meet others in the Stroke Community.

5 Likes

My stroke was over three years ago and I still donโ€™t feel the same

8 Likes

I am just afraid to go out and do what I need to do Iโ€™m afraid something will happen again because I was alone when I had my stroke and itโ€™s just itโ€™s getting really frustrating Iโ€™m not understanding myself my family is not understanding me itโ€™s like Iโ€™m lost

13 Likes

My stoke was a year ago &I am still not myself the ,energy level my kids say I am scattered brain donโ€™t quite complete my sentences.
Itโ€™s frustrating .I am 62 had to retire early .

8 Likes

My stroke was 10 months ago, but I still donโ€™t feel right. Im weaker than I used to be.

8 Likes

Hello all. My stroke was a year ago. It was very scary, as was the diagnosis I got later. I was diagnosed with Moyamoya, a brain disease that narrows the 2 main arteries in the brain. Iโ€™ve had 2 brain surgeries and many hospital stayes. I also have seizuresโ€ฆall kinds. I will be 40 next year and it seems weird to say Iโ€™ve had a stroke. The last year has been very hard on me and my family.
We have put our faith in the Lord and He has helped us through it all.
If I can come through with all I went through, then so can you. Never give up!!

10 Likes

Hi, my name is Mindy. My eldest son was diagnosed with an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) in the pontine region of his brain stem at the tender age of 16. Over the past 45 months, my husband and I have been chasing more miracles for our son through a variety of physicans and treatments.

Like many stroke patients, my son has hemiparesis and due to damage sustained to C-6 & C-7, he has right facial droop and many vision issues. We have been privileged to care for him, observe remarkable milestones in recovery, cope with new disabilities, and attempt to return to โ€œa normal life.โ€

6 Likes

My husband had a stroke in 2014 or 13 heโ€™s not the same he needs help but wonโ€™t get any heโ€™s physically and emotionally abusive which he never was. IDK what to do I love my husband but I need advice on places to go for him to talk to or get on meds heโ€™s like this every day since his stroke Iโ€™ve tried talking to him he wonโ€™t budge but I canโ€™t take the everyday stuff. He always doesnt enjoy anything he used to is there anyone else going through this.

3 Likes

I had an ischemic stroke about 10 months ago, recovery has been good but I still feel like my movements are not fluid. I would like to learn some exercises to help. My physical therapy was awesome but itโ€™s run out now.

2 Likes

My strokes happened in 2017 due to complications from domestic violence injuries. They were misdiagnosed in the hospital as anxiety reaction and right sided weakness. It took 2 months to get proper diagnosis. Itโ€™s been a long road and I still have many impairments but Iโ€™m able to walk, talk for short periods of time. I didnโ€™t have insurance at the time so I Googled physical therapy, listened to several different brain waves (beta and delta mostly) to help retrain my brain, and researched all I could to help myself. I successfully, on my own, removed my husband (abuser) from my house, obtained a pfa(protection from abuse order) and even filed for divorce and received it in less than 2 months of filing (without an attorney). I am a 4 times strangulation survivor and the strokes came a couple of years after last incident. After that, what drs call a pandora effect began. I live with 30+diagnoses. Although I have lost the ability to work or participating in my culture (traditional native dancing), I choose to use my energy to educate and advocate against domestic violence and strangulation. The medical community has just recently learned in the last 3 years all the dangers and long term effects. But many drs, hospitals and first responders are not as aware as they should be. So I am working with several organizations to help provide information, medical records so better training can be created. I had my strokes when I was 39.

2 Likes

Just joining the Stroke message board and look forward to seeing your comments! Had my stroke on Motherโ€™s Day 2014 and been pushing hard ever since to keep improving!!

3 Likes

This community idea is awesome! I am 54 and had two ischemic strokes last year. First one on July 18th and second one August 3rd. Caused by poorly managed hypertension for years, causing plaque to build up in my carotid arteries. My negligence, and Iโ€™m an EMT and knew better. Gave great advice but not very good at taking advice! I live in rural Alaska and it took way too long to get to help after the first stroke. Iโ€™m still struggling with speech, memory and balance. But I have developed some serious skills in managing those deficits. It can be exhausting though. Post it notes, avoiding excessive conversations, etc. I recently changed jobs to something related to my field but Iโ€™m not in direct contact with patients. Iโ€™m just not confident enough for that, but apparently excel as a 911 dispatcher! Itโ€™s the best thing I have done to gain confidence and exercise my brain. I am also on a taste-free diet.๐Ÿ˜‚ Low sodium, low carb (pre diabetes) and low cholesterol. But my numbers have returned to normal limits as well as my BMI for the first time in 25 years! But Iโ€™m regarded as an awesome dispatcher at work, and am also known as (with love and respect) the Space Cadet. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Itโ€™s frustrating because I can answer multiple 911 calls just fine, but in casual conversation with colleagues Iโ€™ll forget what weโ€™re talking about while weโ€™re talking about it! I call it my blank page. Everything in my mind goes blank. Anyway Iโ€™m working on it and getting better daily. But it is an exhausting journey! Anyone else ever experience the blank page??

4 Likes

A stroke is no joke I am sure itโ€™s bad as having a heart attach. I lose lots of memories and admitted in hospital. It hit my left side and missed up my speech having me studering a lot until I take my meds to come me down

2 Likes

I am on the Pain sight but have also had a stroke. I have Fibromyalgia, Systemic Sarcoidosis and bone marrow involvement with the bone lesions throughout my spine and sacrum. Also Tarlov Cysts in the nerve roots that come out of the Sacrum from the base of the Sacrum or spine. They are filled with Cerebral Spinal Fluid and when I am sitting up right they fill up like a balloon and causes great pain and migraines. There is no cure for any of it but medications to extend life. I am in so much pain and depressed because it is overwhelming. Thank you for letting me share.
Joyce

2 Likes

Just had TIA 2days ago

2 Likes

I have had two ischemic strokes in the last 2 years both on New years Eve. I thank God for modern medicine and power of prayer. Prior to those I had many Tiaโ€™s and Bells palsy. Itโ€™s scary for me I also have migraine headaches that mimic strokes so you never know what is what.

1 Like

Im posted about both in strokes. It hard to speak, but everything else it fine. But the is im 31 only years and i have a brain that a 50 year old man, jeezes cause i really be here? I just need to some stroke victims, or just a little help.

2 Likes

I suffered a stroke spinal cord injury due to a steroid injection to sciatica still have pain in my left side is usually hard to get going bad things happen to good people I was told nothing can be done about it it happen in 2012 so Iโ€™m blessed to be able to get around any thoughts on a natural approach

1 Like

High everyone my name is Gail,reading the stories about everyone has broke my ๐Ÿ’“. I had a mini stroke three days before Christmas 2018" wasnโ€™t sure what was happening.scared me.and they found a blood clot on left side of my brain. Going to Dr. Tuesday to find out what they want to do about that. I am kinda scared. I thank God because it could of been way worse. My ๐Ÿ’“ goes out to all you guys and I will be praying for each and every one of you. I will let you all know what they are going to do about the blood clot. Thanks for your stories I need your support.

3 Likes

Mom had her 1st stroke (massive) in 1996. Since then she has been paralyzed on her left side. Over the years she has had several smaller strokes & the poor girl (83 yes old) is worn out. Now, due to some recent small strokes, she was admitted because of headaches, chest pains & confusion. Hopefully, they finally got her meds adjusted & I can take her home

2 Likes