Welcome to the Diabetes Community! 😊

Hi. I’m Ravenn. I’ve used CareZone for a long time but life got so hectic I stopped using it for much longer than I should have, but I’m getting back into the grove again.
I’m the mother of 3 boys (my middle son was killed in an automobile accident when he was 20), the other two are 56 and 50. My oldest son is why I wanted to be part of this community. He is diabetic and has been for several years. He doesn’t strictly follow his doctors but he keeps it in check pretty well. My reason for joining now is because he came down with an illness about a month ago and the doctors can’t figure out what is wrong with him. I wondered if his diabetes had anything to do that with it. He got very weak, body aches all over, pain, at times he can’t get out of a chair or bed without help, and more. He has never been one to complain and has always been a hard worker. He hasn’t been able to work for a month, in fact he tried to go to work twice and was sent home because he was so weak. He had lost 22 pounds as of a week ago and hasn’t told me how much he’s lost since then. He finally went to another doctor and was told among other things he had pneumonia. That was over a week ago and he is still not over it. Tonight is the first night in over a week that I haven’t gone to his house and used a percussions wand on his back. He got out and came to my house for a little while this afternoon , the first time he had been out of the house in over a week. It hurts me to see him like this. He can barley walk he is so week. He had used all his sick time and is on Family Emergency time now, but that means no pay check and no way to pay his bills. That is worrying him to death which isn’t helping him get well. Worry. Actually can make you sick. I know he is depressed but we are not in a place to help him financially. He just wants to get well and get back to work.
Have any of you ever had anything like this? Is it in any way connected with his diabetes? I admit I’m at the end of my wits and am grabbing at straws. The one doctor is running test to check him for Lupus, but he can’t say for sure. If anyone has any suggestions what it might be I will appreciate any clue I can get. I’ve lost one son, I don’t want to lose another. I’m 72 years old and I’m not sure how long I could care for him if it came to that and I’m not at all sure how I would handle it if something happened to him.
Suggestions, prayer, a shot in the dark, anything you might think of will be a help.
I hope you are doing well considering. I hope your family is well and you are all enjoying life. Thank you for letting me be a part of your community.

why is medications so expensive at GNC stores? Is there any other useful information out there? HELP!

Hi there. My name is Jim. I am a type 1 diabetic. Have been one since I was 15. I see that we have that in common. I also have MS.
Not sure about cgm’s. We have really seen some major changes since we first started. Remember when we had to test b’s with test tube those pill we put in with out urine and then compare to color chart. Dang! I burned my hands a lot in those days!! I have to laugh when our Drs kept saying ‘cure is coming’ isn’t that a load of houeee! Lol
I’m in VA please drop me a line.
Thanks
Jim H

Hi Tammy I’m Jim. I’m 53 had t1 since I was 15. Lots of things go on health wise. So you like the
KETO thing? Can you tell me what you like about it?

Hi my name is Barbara,I was diagnosed in 2000,after a trip to the er for asthma attack. Jump to 2020 I am currently fighting to save my toe what started as an bruise and up with infection. I was put on three different
Oral antibitocs,went back for f/u thought I was clear the dr said I want to take cray I think you have infection of the bone. And it was but on stronger antibiotics the very next morning I woke up my foot was angry red and feverish up to my knee. Call
Dr office rushed to er dr said that the team wanted to take my toe ,for me it was not an option .I was lucky I told the dr no he wasn’t cutting off my toe .he listened I’m not saying I’m jumping for joy yet .the dr clean the infection that he could put pearl antibiotics in where he cleaned. I stayed in the hospital a week from there I went straight into a nursing facility where as of today I get antibiotics every eight hours,why a nursing facility ? So I can get this powerful antibiotics thru a pic line every eight hours. Supposed to be for thirty days which is nearing soon even after leaving here I still have to take oral antibiotics, but I do have my toe so far. It’s a long hard road I’m walk in and so scary I don’t know what to think.

Hi my name is Barbara. And I am angry at my self. I have been a diabetic since 2000. Long story made short dealing with other health issue I let my diabetes go,wasn’t bothering me right,WRONG. My diabetes made itself known and for front. Started in January had a toe to get infected on three different antibiotics for a month went back to my foot dr. Calmly tells me I’m taking you out of the special shoe and dressing I need to get cray you might have infection in bone ,you will lose your toe. Terrified me to death .went home next morning my toe half way up my foot was red and angry. Told to go emergency room They wanted my toe. I told them that wasn’t an option for me. Dr cleaned the wound put antibiotic pearls( never heard of them either) in wound and sewed up my toe. I am now into my last week of intravenous antibiotics ,And right now I still have my toe. I know now that diabetes is not something to play with ,not to ignore any symptom that comes up. I have been away from home for a solid month taking m.y antibotics. I want to go home.

I’m a male 83 years old come May 11,I was declared type 2 diabetes when I was 44. 2 years ago I made some changes cause things started to change for the worse. I read some books and most of them agree on one thing, type 2 diabetes is course by the so call American diet. So I made some adjustments , I eat chicken , fish eggs some pork and beef , No Whites, lots of veggies and greens, and NO fry foods . I use A1 Sauce to flavor just about everything , I snack on outmeal cookies only when I need a sweet something so far this working for me and still take my meds though I had to make some adjustment to that working with my doctor . EM

Was diagnosed late in life, 60s. Hard to tell my head what not to eat. They(Dr) had me on a pill, but after 10+ years had malfunction with combination ( also heart meds) that landed me in hosp. Girlfriend had them change to using insulin and now have a team of Drs (7). Have hard time putting head around this, but after 10 days in ICU promised I’d listen to her❤️. But anyways the problem I like what I like and salad doesn’t cut it. Help suggestions?

Hi I’m Debbie. I’m 66 yrs old soon to be 67 on the 5th of June. I’m scared. I tested my sugar a little bit ago and it was 242. It’s never been that high. I’ve not been on any meds for it for over 5 months. I don’t want to tell my fiancee because I don’t want to worry him more. He already worries about me and my health because of the pain I’m in constantly. Sorry I just needed to vent a little.

Exercise

That’s is great keep it up.

Do you have a cook book to recommend or a computer address which you would willing to share.

Good morning. My name is Tim. A year ago I was rushed to the hospital at which time I was diagnosed with a Super Acute Case of Pancreatitis which has caused me now to have to take insulin.

I was not diabetic before this. I ran 3 to 5 miles a day, don’t drink at all, don’t smoke, don’t drink anything carbonated, and a vegetarian.

Now some days are better than others. My dietary intake is mostly salad with tuna in it.

I guess I am here for support. Some days I just get so depressed. I have tried to live a healthy life but this just happened out of nowhere and I don’t understand it. Well I am going for a run this morning. Thank you and have a great day.

Hi. My name is Sally Cruz and my husband is a diabetic. I try to keep his numbers in check. My husband is trying not to get his numbers up or to out of control. I try to get him to eat vegetables but NO luck.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Got quietion to see if anyone has the same leg spots

Hi, I am Jackie and I have had diabetes for 25 years. I am currently on a pump and use a CGM. I have no feeling in my feet and I currently overweight! I am getting an MRI tomorrow because I have been have nerve problems in my lumbar area, I hope to get this fixed so I can exercise ❤️

Im sorry this mught be long.
GM, have question. Has anyone had memory loss while taking Metformin? Ive been taking it since Feb 2002. A few months ago my memory was horrible. Matter of fact I got lost coming home. Pulled over had hug melt down because of it. Dr ordered scan of neck arteries, test came back good. She wanted CT scan done. Well with covid we cant see our doctors so its hard to talk to her plus shes new to me my doctor retired in February
So got PA but I call her Dr. Still not met in person. So all these tests Im not sure wbout.
Well yep was on computer and up pops information about Metformin can cause memory loss. Dr was on vaction so I dropped my 1000mg 2x aday to 1000 aday. Low and behold my memory is getting better. Mealt downs also. I can go to my new job and know what Im doing, not like before every few minutes or hrs asking how to do his or what else was I suppose to do!! Now I go in know what Im doing get ut done. Once in a while I forget but not like before oh my it was bad.
So my question is has anyone else had problems with memory and are you on Metformin? Im still taking 1000mg 1x a day.
I get to met PA in late August. I lost about 28 pounds which is great got about 30 more to go. Would like to drop 45 more but at 62 not have seen this Dr yet going with 30 for now
Thanks for listening

Hi there I was wondering what to do in a situation when your blood sugars care low what should you eat to raise the sugars?

I’ve was diagnosed edith Diabetes 2 about 3 years ago. I managed it real good until this past January I had blood clots that almost took my life but now is running so high, I’m living the way I did but im not due what’s going on?

My a1c is 12.1 what do I do to get it right