Welcome to the Caregiving Community 😊

Discuss caregiving and connect with caregivers.

Welcome! Friends and family are an important part of caregiving. This is a place to introduce yourself and meet others in the Caregiving Community.

25 Likes

Hi Ivy, I wasn’t sure where to introduce myself. So I’ll start here. I’d love to write to others who care for people. I care for our special needs daughter & my sister. I live in Texas, I’m 61, have 4 grown children, & 3 grandsons. I do not find much time out side of home and I’m hoping to find others who can relate. Ivy, if you could tell me where to write to the community, that would be great. Hope to hear from you soon, thanks!!

16 Likes

Hi @missy—Welcome to the Community!

It looks like you did find the right place to connect with other Caregivers! I see that you posted in the “Welcome to the Caregiving Community” topic and shared a bit about yourself there. Thank you for introducing yourself!

I’m happy to share that a new caregiver like you just joined (and is looking for a friend)! Feel free to say hello to @Cassy—they recently posted in the same topic as you if you’d like to connect with them!

Here’s the link to the topic:

I’ll be here to help if you have any questions!

—Ivy
Community Manager

6 Likes

Hi, my name is Terri. I am at home a lot, caring for our special needs daughter & my sister who has tremors. I was born in Texas and still live here. Life can be difficult, but also so very rewarding. Good days, bad days, I hope someone can relate & have a few minutes to write & share. I’m 61, have a really good husband, 4 grown children, & 3 grandsons. I will eagerly hope to hear from someone. Take good care & thanks for reading.

9 Likes

Hi Terri. I’m the sole caregiver for an disabled, elderly parent. I live in MI now, but have lived in other states. Just moved back to MI this summer. I’d like to have a friend to talk about stuff with.

10 Likes

Hello @missy and @Cassy!

I’m so glad that you have both joined the Community. Thank you for starting the conversation here!

I hope you can find time to connect with each other, offer support, and share experiences when you have time.

I’ll be here to help if you have any questions along the way!

—Ivy
Community Manager

5 Likes

Hi. My name is Donna. I help take care of my father-in-law. I have a great husband and we have raised our 5 children, one of whom had severe ADHD. Thanks for letting me join.

8 Likes

Hi Donna. I am the sole caregiver for a parent. I also helped take care of my best Friends Mom in 1996,97. I helped take care of a terminal younger sister this summer

9 Likes

Hello, my name is Judy and I care for my husband and my 81-year-old Mom. My husband is a veteran with PTSD. a spine injury, and lung disease (possibly pulmonary fibrosis— still working on a diagnosis). My mom has congestive heart failure and is currently being treated for a chronic wound on her foot. We are awaiting biopsy results from her foot as well.

I work from home as a freelance writer and independent recruiter, but it’s becoming more and more difficult to find time. I look forward to sharing and learning alongside all of you!

6 Likes

Thank you for welcoming me to the Caregiving Community. My name is Poppy. I am 67 and caring for my wife who has recently been diagnosed with metastasized breast cancer that is in her bones and possibly another cancer in her right kidney.

I am hoping to gain some insight on how to help her stay hopeful and positive day by day. She is fighting hard with oral chemo and trying to balance side effects that are debilitating.

5 Likes

Hi y’all! I’m 56 years old with a husband and three grown sons, who are still living with us. My 71-year-old mother-in-law also lives with us, and because I’m a stay-at-home wife, I’m responsible for her physical well-being, although she is still mostly able to care for herself on a day-to-day basis. I keep up with and take her to her doctor appointments. She deals mostly with back and leg pain, as well as some other issues. I’m blessed to have a MIL who loves and respects me, and I love and respect her, too. Taking care of her is not a full-time job yet.

My mother was my father’s caretaker for three years, until he died in October 2017 at the age of 85. She rarely left the house during that time. I helped when I could, which was about once a week, sometimes more, depending on doctor’s appointments. Daddy was diabetic and had vascular dementia and neuropathy in his legs. He also was mostly blind.

So, while I haven’t experienced full-time caregiving, I know what it looks like and how stressful it is for the caregiver. I know that’s where I’m headed with my MIL, but I will have help from my husband. In the meantime, I hope I can provide y’all with support and perhaps good advice.

5 Likes

Hi! My name is Tess. I currently am a private caregiver for two individuals with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. I love what I do, and would love to be a resource for any of you caregiving. I’ve got over 30 years of experience as I have taken care of both of my parents until they passed as well as other family members. Please say hi!

10 Likes

Hi. My name is Joyce. I have just joined so I am not sure what I am doing. I really hope this helps me. If anyone sees something I am missing please let me know. Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi Joyce—Welcome to the Community! I’m so glad you’ve joined us and I’m happy to help you. To explore the other Communities available, visit this link:

https://www.carezone.com/launch/community

To search for a specific topic in the Community, select the “magnifying glass” icon at the top right corner of the page. If I can help further, just reply to this message anytime. Thanks!

—Ivy
Community Manager

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I have recently became a caregiver to my two elderly parents, first my Father has stage 4 cancer of the bladder. And Mother has to have open heart surgery soon. And on top of that their dream house has burnt to the ground. Not sure where to go from here?

4 Likes

My husband is 53 and disabled he requires 24hr care I don’t even know what me time is, I just have time to run to the store and back again I can’t be gone over 3 to 4 hrs at a time I do go to church though on Sun and Wed

3 Likes

Im Kathy and my fiancée has COPD. It’s a struggle for him to do things we take for granted. It’s tough when you can only help so much and sad to see him stuggle to breathe. We are thankful for each and every moment we can spend together playing backgammon or watch a movie on the tv.

3 Likes

Hello everyone. I cared for my husband through bypass surgery, type 2 diabetes, leg amputations, learning to walk with prosthetics, and many more health issues. I pray I will be able to share experiences to help others.

6 Likes

My sister passed 7 years ago. Today I’m At my brother-in-law house, he dealing with prostate cancer. Have to get in for funeral.

1 Like

I know where missy is coming from. I care for my husband, I’m 46 will be 47 next month and he’s 54 there’s not much time for me I go to church and the store and then back home, he requires 24hr care, and there are times where I just want to throw my arms up and scream, it’s hard to see him that way he has severe nerve damage, has a rod in his neck and he also has Alzheimer’s disease

4 Likes