Topamax

My dr put me on topamax about a month ago for my migraines. I started off on 25 mg for a week, then went up to 50 mg. When I went back for my month follow up, she upped me to 75 mg. Has anyone else been on topamax for their migraines? If so, what was your experience with it?

8 Likes

My Dr put me on Trokendi Xr 50 mg it works really well.

3 Likes

My wife has been on Topamax 100mg for for awhile now to deal with her migraines caused by her stroke. It has decreased the severity of them, but not stopped them even though it is prescribed to “stop” them from occurring not “treat” them.

3 Likes

I’ve been on it for at least two years. At first it made me confused and I got really bad pins and needles in my feet. I don’t get that as much anymore. It did get rid of my migraines at least 80% and they aren’t as bad. He had to increase the dosage a few times. Otherwise it’s been helping me tremendously. I do get migraines but not as much, yay. We just start Emgality injections so we will see what happens.

6 Likes

My experience with topamax was horrible. I had a migraine for about 2 months and over those 2 months my topamax dose that the neuro kept upping made me very out of it. I couldn’t even spell my husband’s name, remember my kids’ birthdays, couldn’t walk a straight line. Finally found another neuro who knew right away I was “over dosed” and put me in the hospital for 5 days of detox plus DHE treatment. My brain has never been the same since. My cousin had warned me not to take it but I was desperate. Still have a constant migraine but I’m at the point where I’ve tried everything from preventatives (on 4 at the same time at one point) to Botox - yuck. Hated the feeling! To some kind of shot between my eyes close to my forehead. Ended up with a huge indention that the neuro called everyone in to see because apparently it’s a very rare reaction. 😝 So no I did not have a good experience with Topamax. And I have tinnitus in my left ear since. Don’t know if that’s topamax related but I know the exact day it started and it was during the topamax nightmare.

5 Likes

I used to be on it before now I’m back on it again.

2 Likes

im currently taking topamax

2 Likes

I took Topamax Xr, Took the headaches away completely… But caused tingling numbness and fatigue and pain in my joints increased… So after a few weeks I went off of it

2 Likes

Topomax didn’t help me at all. Or my daughter who gets frequent migraines.

2 Likes

I tried Topamax but didn’t have a good result, still had the migraines with an added very strong odor in my nose. I’m trying a different combo now but still struggling. Have had many suggestions from friends, anywhere from taking magnesium, biological therapy, to a daith piercing in my ear. Anybody tried any of these?n

2 Likes

I have the daith piercing and I don’t think it works at all. But, I’ve heard that it helps for other people. So, I guess it depends on the person. I also take 500 mg magnesium every night. I’m not sure if it helps or not. I know it helps me sleep and helps with muscle cramps in my legs that I used to get.

2 Likes

I have for 2 yrs (w no results) and was switched to Verapamil 120mg 4 times a day and will be trying Botox injections soon. I wish you best of luck.

3 Likes

I’m interested in Emgality… Let us know your progress. Good luck

1 Like

My new neurologist was a life saver. The first thing he did was take me OFF Topamax and I now use Amovig. It is in shot form and I use it once a month. I was taking 600 mg of the Topamax. My 2nd neurologist called it “Dopeamax” And he is so right. I was on it for so many years that the side effects were outweighing the good. Good luck.

3 Likes

That’s terrible. Sorry you had a bad experience.

1 Like

I’ve just taken my third injection this month. I’ve noticed a little bit of a change in frequency of migraines. I think I will know better after six months.

1 Like

I had taken Topomax in the it worked well and stop started back this year . I started at 25 a twice a day then 100 my hair started falling out . So I at lower dose they may help but I stop all together I’m going back to nartriptilyn

I am on Topomax/Topirimate. I am on 200 mg 2 times a day. Have been on it for a long time. Not having issues.

While Topamax is used for migraine prevention, it is actually a seizure medication - it will not stop migraines altogether.

I have been on Topamax (100 mg) for 15 years and have been doing very well. An added plus - it has a generic - topiramate.

Hope this helps!

I have been on topiramate 50mg twice a day now for a yr. It’s reduced my migraines to 1 Or 2 major ones a yr. Hope that helps and it works for you.