Tiredness

Hello Everyone,
I was diagnosed with COPD in 2010. In the early stages, I lost weight, I became very depressed and disassociated my self from others. Over the years, my symptoms got better and I did not take medication regularly. I have been active, but within the last 2 weeks, I have been very tired and lethargic. I have been depressed and so weak and have not been able to work my business for days.
What do you do to combat the tiredness?

11 Likes

do what I do take your meds, weather permits go for a walk the fresh air will make you feel good I go for walks, unfortunately right now we have snow so what I do is if your house or apt. is big enough walk around the that way your. getting the same as if you were outside so get out of bed and start waking baby steps you will find that you won’t be as tired and talk to your doctor

11 Likes

Hi Ms. Addie, I was diagnosed shortly after my second bout of cancer in my lung. For a few years I decided that I didn’t want to use oxygen regularly or take my medication because I would be giving in. Apparently that was definitely the wrong decision. I can’t get around like I used to and had to quit working. I’m only 62 years old! Please follow up with your doctor!

8 Likes

I was diagnosed with COPD about 5 years ago. Since then it has gotten harder to breathe. I have always had asthma with some attacks.I worked in a carpet making factor for many years and I have 🚬 for many years.I can’t walk very far nowdays.

7 Likes

I was diagnosed COPD in October of 2018

4 Likes

I would get back on medicine and do some pulmonary rehab.

8 Likes

@angie1 I know what you mean. Used to love going for walks. Now I can barely walk 2 or 3 blocks. And I cannot walk while talking.

6 Likes

Your story sounds like what has been going on with my. Health.
I do take meds, and have three inhalers I use daily. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes for you as you struggle as l do.

6 Likes

I am very tired all the time. I did not know that had to do with my copd

3 Likes

Well what I know is copd can cause fatigue, especially if doing things that exert your body. And makes your breathing and circulation speed up. I get tired doing light housework. After I shower or wash I feel I need to sit down for a bit. Just sitting in place is only way for me to catch my breath. Cuz those inhalers do nothing. I’m also overweight so I’m carrying extra weight that makes me become bmire tired after certain activity.

7 Likes

COPD, as it progresses causes exhaustion, shortness of breath and difficulty sleeping. I can’t even walk a decent amount without having to stop. I have had lung cancer twice treated with radiation because I couldn’t survive surgery. After the second round of radiation, I got nerve damage which is painful. I’m on oxygen 24/7 and sleep in a recliner. This is definitely not the life I planned for myself. I use 2 inhalers which do work and a rescue inhaler. Those along with prednisone, Cymbalta and painkillers. I am now considered disabled and cannot work. I left a job that I absolutely adored! I’ve been disabled since May 2016.
Watch out for depression.
Your whole life changes…It can managed even though I have limitations!

4 Likes

I am 49 yrs old and I was diagnosed with copd and emphysema and on set adult asthma when I was 37 yrs old, I am currently on 3 inhalers and I have been hospitalized several times do to it. Right now my lung Dr put me on antibiotics because I’m having trouble breathing due to the fact that I smoked for 40 yrs and I just recently quit 3 month’s ago. I also wear oxygen at night because I stop breathing in my sleep, so whoever is suffering with this illness I wish you all the best each and every day.

5 Likes

I’ve always wondered why inhalers don’t work for me. Isn’t the purpose of rescue is to take puffs when short of breath. I. I don’t have answers to that…🤤🤧

4 Likes

Hi all, I think I waver between tiredness and exhaustion 😊. There are some really good days and then I pay for it the next day. I find that depression makes me tired as hell. Please, please keep an awareness about that. I had to change my antidepressants and I feel better. There are times when I’m just plain exhausted and have to sleep, or rest. Sometimes if I move around a little I feel a bit better, depending on the tiredness.
It’s hard know which “tired” it is sometimes.
I’ve had to learn a lot of acceptance…Good luck and have a great day!

4 Likes

I have got copd and all i do right now is cough. Every where i go . i have been told for quite a few years but its is the first year its has acts messes up like this

1 Like

Msaddie part of COPD is fatigue. Check back with your dr. You may need your meds again.
The way I combat COPD is to gather everything I need before ADL.
When I shower I get everything all in the bathroom. I have a Terry cloth robe. This allows the water to be soaked up. Letting you use your energy elsewhere. I pat dry as rubbing uses to much energy.
Before my shower I lay out the clothing I need so I do not get to fatigued. If I need to I sit in my chair before dressing.
But the point I was trying to make is to spend time preparing, rest then get showered and rest. This conserves some of your energy.
Let me know if you try it and if it works for you.

4 Likes

Janet good advise. You do need to be active. I also walk. Outside if weather permits, inside if not. Also I try to go to the gym 3 X a week with my son.
While at the gym I can walk on the tread mill or ride the exercise bike.
I feel like this helps me a lot. I also do breathing exercises.

2 Likes

Yes I have COPD and this year got bad. Getting listed for Double Lung Transplant.

1 Like

Check your oxygen level. If it frobs below 92 you might need oxygen

1 Like

I have been feeling extreme fatigue with my asthma. It is better now that it is getting under control with steroids. I am working with a pulmonologist now, and he is great. The fatigue has been way better the past couple of days, and i was able to sleep well last night because of not coughing, so i woke up feeling refreshed this morning.

3 Likes