Therapist on extended leave

So, my therapist has been on medical leave now for almost 2 months. They offered me to see someone else, but that’s how I ended up with this lady. My last one took medical leave and I hated the 1st temp, so her supervisor stepped in and we connected instantly. Now shes on medical leave.
I can’t fathom starting my whole life story all over again with someone new.
But at this point my mental is going downhill. I’m really good at hiding it and appearing like I’m all good, but on the inside I’m one wrong word away from jumping off our porch.
I had the sleeve 4 months ago and I’ve been stress eating lately. I’m only down 45 pounds. Yes that’s great, but I could be down so much more. I’m in pain 24/7 even in my sleep. And now this…
Should I just get over it and try someone new?

3 Likes

I agree with you 100%. I went throw the same thing.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have some therapists who need counseling. You definitely need to find someone else who CAN and WILL HELP YOU. I have been there, please don’t let your “so called Drs.” drag you down. I have some wonderful Drs.; they are out there. If there is anything I can do to help you, please get in touch with me. But please remember, you have an important part of each and every day that God allows you to wake up., and always remember GOD LOVES YOU!

5 Likes

I feel for you. I moved from one state to another and my new doctor wants me to see a therapist and they couldn’t get me in until October. I think it’s a little nuts, we need more people in that field that care

4 Likes

My insurance changed and I suddenly found myself in a position where my Dr was out of network and I had no out of network coverage. I had to spend hours and hours calling to find someone who could get me in in less than 3 months due to medication. They all wanted me to start therapy first even knowing my situation. My point is, the system is seriously flawed and has almost no protocols for situations that are slightly out of the ordinary. I ended up finding someone who I truly like. I had no problem with therapy but they wouldn’t consider that I was going to run out of meds before I could get in with a Dr who could prescribe them. So, after a lot of rambling, my question to you is, would you be willing to give it one more shot only with a different clinic? The current one obviously cannot meet your needs and you have to take care of you first.

3 Likes

Listen, I know it is tough changing therapists, but talk to the clinical manager or patient advocate where you go. They can’t prevent medical leave, but it should not be necessary for you to keep starting over. A therapist should be able to read your chart history and have enough info to know what your issues are and what you are working on.

3 Likes

It’s so frustrating

1 Like

Thank u so much. I fell asleep again today and didn’t get a chance to call the office. Ugh

Yea it took me months too. My doctor was like well if u go to the er and say ur ha ing suicide thoughts they’ll get u in faster!!! Like what

2 Likes

I’d have to start over like u did if I switched clinics. And my son also goes here. It’s so much simpler. But I get what ur saying. I had to wait almost a year to get in with sa psychiatrist… and months just to see a therapist. Its the same everywhere here. Even to see a pcp for the first time it was months.

1 Like

I will definitely call them tomorrow

That’s a bit crazy.

1 Like

I get it totally. When my nephew was under 18, my sister had to take him to another county. The hospital, Psychiatrist, and therapist all had to be found roughly 45min to 1 hr away and we live in a good size metro area with tons of hospitals and clinics. The problem is, there is just not a lot of options for adolescents. So, I would second another’s recommendation of going to the clinic manager. You shouldn’t have to experience negative consequences. There has got to be a solution. I know the therapists are busy but I would hope they could work with you on this.

1 Like

I understand starting ur life story over is stressful alone…

2 Likes

I totally understand I just found out my therapist has gotten a new position and she won’t be my therapist any more after a few weeks. I almost started crying in her office and she told me they might set me up to see the temporary therapist they had me set up with before I got her and my issue is I’ve come such a long way with her and have sd and shared so many things now I have to start all over getting comfortable with someone else

1 Like

Same here

So I broke down and called the office manager and agreed to see her. It’s been 2 appointments a d they have been great. She is a real close match to the one on medical leave. So that is good. I think ne t time though I am going to ask her if she has read my file. She hasn’t asked me to go over my history. But I do want to be sure that she knows my past.

truly crazy

1 Like

so I asked her if shes read my file. she said just a brief overview. a d asked if I wanted her to review it. I said YES! I do t want to be asked thi that the answers are already in my file.