Testing supplies

Anyone else on Medicare that can recommend where to get supplies that are Medicare approved?? Thank you in advance!!!

2 Likes

Try Walmart, they have some supplies that are free.

3 Likes

Really? I had no idea!! Thank you!! 😃😃

3 Likes

Also go to www.healthykin.com
They have very inexpensive glucometers and diabetic supplies that are so much more affordable.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, I will!!

3 Likes

I found my test strips at walmart.com for under $12. For generic brand of Ultra touch (which is what I’m currently using) Thank you so much for saving me $50.00.🤣🤣🤣

3 Likes

No problem

1 Like

Check with your Medicare provider as the expense is usually covered, but it depends on the insurance company who they use. I will warn you Medicare criteria is different than the American Diabetes Association recommendations. For example, the ADA suggests a Type 1 diabetic who is always on insulin check their blood sugar a minimum of 4 times per day. Medicare doesn’t allow enough supplies to get you through 3 months.
Since Wal-Mart has been suggested I recently had the opportunity to look at the cash price of items. Their ReliOn meter which has been shown to be equivalent to some of the high end meters is $9. The strips are $9. If I remember correctly lancets were $5. Alcohol prep pads which you only need to give insulin not check your blood sugar was $1 for the box. They sell Humulin R and Humulin N for a little over $25 like $25.87 or some odd Wal-Mart number while the same insulin is $300 at other pharmacies. They call the insulin ReliOn N & ReliOn R, but it’s actually filled with Humulin brand.
Supplies as I mentioned is dependent on your insurance company as some allow you to obtain supplies at a local pharmacy while others state you must use a mail order supply company like McKesson’s. Some also have a third party company verify your need & must give approval for the supplies. Not the easiest process with some insurance companies, but once you are established if you use mail order a lot of companies monitor when they last provided supplies & will call to see what supplies are needed, obtain approval, and automatically mail them to you. Your insurance company can give you a list of approved providers, but might be difficult to get in touch since it’s the beginning of the year. You might be able to obtain a list on the insurance company website.,
Hope that helps some.

1 Like

Home Healthcare Companies offer many Medicare Approved items.

2 Likes

My pharmacy required a doctor’s order for my meter my test strips my lancets and even the alcohol pads. When they put the orders in my insurance told the pharmacy what supplies I was supposed to get.

1 Like