Scared of taking anxiety medication

hi i was recently prescribed some medications for GAD and panic disorder and the thought of possible side effects from medication and the fear of dependency is terrifying. i’m going to take the first step and start taking them today but i’m still afraid. does anyone have any advice to help me feel a bit less scared about this?

2 Likes

I’m sure your doctor is aware that this medicine may not make you so dependent on the medication or she wouldn’t have prescribed it you can at least try it for a little bit to see how it makes you feel and keep in touch with your doctor if you feel weird or have weird symptoms call the doctor and let them know but having anxiety on top of it isn’t going to help their some trust that needs to be there

4 Likes

First of all, welcome. I hope that you will stay in conversations with all of us here on Care Zone. We are here to help where and when we can and we also look to you to help if you can.
As for your concerns, I am on GAD medication myself for anxiety and to prevent panic attacks. Before being prescribed Duloxetine for GAD and some pain relief I had 3 physical stress-induced panic attacks. These attacks required ER visits, IV laced with medication to calm me and about 3 hrs of lost time that I will never get back.
Now that I am on Duloxetine and visiting with a psychologist regularly I have not had any more panic attacks or ER visits. I still see my psychologist regularly, also. I have not experienced any of the listed side effects for Duloxetine. I also spoke with my psychologist and my primary care provider before I took one capsule about the side effects and what they wanted me to do if I experience any of them.
In the past, since I started experiencing illnesses and pain from my sclerosis, I have had side effects from other prescriptions. I did just as I was told, we called 911 and explained what was happening. The operator told us to go to the ER except in one instance where they told us to stay put and sent an ambulance. We did just that and when the paramedics arrived they said we did the right thing and put me on an IV and gave me a shot through my IV. They explained that we did the right thing by following the doctor’s instructions in calling 911 first.
I also have always trusted (but verified) that my doctors and LPNs were always giving me was what was needed and best for me. Obviously, you have already gone through the verification process and you are concerned about all of the side effects but remember, every single “possible” side effect must be listed. Most of them are rare, some of them are possible and others have a high probability. If the drug has been confirmed by the FDA then it has been determined to be safe for the majority of the population. So it is and you should take it as it will benefit you.

6 Likes

I had the same issues but it all turned out ok for my depression n pstd no real side affects I’ve noticed so far

5 Likes

The best advice I can give is to be aware of what the meds are doing in terms of side effects and how you are experiencing them. Keep a journal if you want to. Doing this may alleviate some of the fear you are having. Also, be open with your doctor regarding your fears and any side effects. Lastly, follow your doctor’s orders to the letter in terms of dosing and frequency of taking the meds. The fact that you are aware of the potential for dependency is the most important part. Use this to guide you in following your treatment plan. Good luck :).

6 Likes

Morning,. I’m on meds for anxiety and doing better. The meds aren’t “addicting” like drugs are. You don’t HAVE TO have them. They are like taking a blood pressure pill if you have high blood pressure. As far as the side effects part, I get dry mouth so I suck on mints and drink water. I was at a point in my life where worrying about the side effects was not as concerning as worrying and dealing with the actual anxiety.

5 Likes

Why? If it’s going to help you take a chance. God knows what we’re going through believe and keep the faith and pray as much as possible. Jesus will never let us down that’s the purpose of him dieing on the cross. Eve messed that up for us and giving Adam some of it

1 Like

Luckily I’ve never been addicted to any meds. Every illegal drug, yes. I’ve been on xanax for my panic disorder since 2003. And thank God I have it! Is it a ER? Can I ask what med it is? I’m on 3 RXs mixed for my attacks, but the only thing that can stop them is good ole Xanax.

2 Likes

I was prescribed Xanax nearly twenty years ago, but at the time I could not afford it. Doc put me on Klonopin and have been on it for nearly twenty years. It is considered to be addictive. It’s in the same class as Xanax. I don’t find that it’s addictive at all. When I don’t have to leave the house I can forget to take it and don’t feel “the need” to have it. It doesn’t do the job alone though so Lamictal was added. Been on it for about three years now. Anxiety and depression are tough and the Rx only calms it to a breathable state. I have been on so many that I don’t think there’s and end all be all.

1 Like

I’m myself wondering if there’s an end to these attacks. I have to have Xanax on me at all times. And have 4 anxiety meds I take every morning and night. Sucks huh! I only take them as needed though. There are some days where I don’t take any. I kinda feel like a real person on those days. LOL

1 Like

I don’t remember how it is to feel myself. Without the meds I feel like I need to keep going and going, but on the meds I feel the same but confused. All the racing around and mind racing, rarely getting anything accomplished, keeps me active. I was told to practice meditation and yoga. My reply is that I have severe anxiety and my mind and body can’t stop or even slow down for a second. How can anyone with this disorder slow their mind down and hummmmm your way into calmness??? I feel like a lightning storm is in my head. Don’t get me started on the breathing exercises… it just doesn’t work for me.

Hi this is Sleona I was just wondering if anyone that is on or has taken Wellbutrin I was just put on it about three weeks ago in about a week ago I started having these bizarre vivid dreams?

2 Likes

hi i have been on wellbutrin for almost 5 weeks. i have weird and vivid dreams too but i have always had them.

1 Like

hello sorry for this very late reply. i have been on wellbutrin and gabapentin for about 4 or 5 weeks i was recently prescribed propranolol for when i have rapid heart rate before bed but i still have yet to take it

1 Like

All1013
I never remember my dreams until I started taking this medication for the last week I have been having crazy dreams and they seem so real and I can remember them?

1 Like

Pak0521
Did you experience some weird dreams and remember them while taking Wellbutrin?

oh i see. if the dreams are really bothering you you should probably tell your doctor or psychiatrist about it. my dreams are very vivid and easy to remember but the nightmares can be really intense.

1 Like

Ally1013
I guess it could be described as nightmares I just said dreams I have never had nightmares before and if I dream I never remember them

Thank you