Pain med side effects

Hi all. I am dealing with an unpleasant side effect from my pain medication. It’s a little embarrassing but I have been having terrible night sweats. It keeps me up at night and it makes me quite uncomfortable.
What I have been doing is just wearing very light clothing and I run a fan on low. I use just a sheet for my blanket.
Does anyone else have this side effect? If so, what helps you the most? I would really appreciate any advice. I really haven’t found a lot of information on this.

5 Likes

I am Rita and I to lately I’ve had the night sweats I can’t sleep either. I’m going to see my doctor because these night sweats are not only in the daytime but nighttime to.

5 Likes

Great let me know what your doctor says mine just told me to turn on a fan.

3 Likes

That’s CRAZY!!! I have my a/c on 69, fan blowing on me AND the windows open… still hot

3 Likes

are you sure it is your meds?

4 Likes

Good question!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure. It’s a know side effect and I’m way too young to have hot flashes. Never had them before.

3 Likes

What medication are you taking?

2 Likes

It’s oxycodone. I was on 20 mg every 4 hrs in the hospital for 4 days and since I’ve been home I got myself down to 10 mg every 4 hours and I’m trying to cut as much and as fast as I can.

3 Likes

oxycodone shouldn’t giver you night sweats; I’ve been on 40mg every 4 hours for years & havnt delt with h night sweats. Is talk to Dr about that, & you can go thru menopause in early 30’s also. If definitely check this out with Drs. Good luck to all of you going thru this

2 Likes

I think your problem is that you are cutting your meds down too quickly. Sweating is a common side effect of drug withdrawal.

3 Likes

Yes mine did I couldn’t handle it so I stopped taking it

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. You were absolutely right. I was missing two doses in my sleep and that is when the sweating started. Also, I was having horrible anxiety out of nowhere. I increased my dose back to what it was before and my symptoms went away. I really wanted to come off the meds as soon as possible because my surgeon will only prescribe pain medication for 90 days after the surgery. I am pretty nervous about being cut off since I have been on this medication for 9 months.

2 Likes

Talk with your Doc, they should help you. Whether he/she agrees with you or not, you need to be supervised during the time that you are quitting.
I pray that it goes well for you.

3 Likes

Thank you very much. I will.

1 Like

You are doing exactly what I do, but I have fan blowing directly on me. In summer I take a quick dip in pool and/or shower with warm/cool water right before bed. I’m going to try aroma therapy as well, lavender and others may keep me “thinking cool “ as I fall asleep and hopefully stay asleep. Best wishes to you!

Good Afternoon, I battle the sweats during the day and night in day I generally keep a cloth with me but at night I take a hot shower. And that usually cools me down at night. What I have found is pain medication makes you sweat I’ve been on a few different ones and each has done the same thing I can’t even get my hair done and keep it looking nice unless I get it braided lol. I also noticed that I have to laugh to keep from crying dealin with the different issues that we have to go through go for so type of relief. So don’t give find a way to smile or laugh. 😘 or 😰😭💯🤗🎯

P.s light clothing at night is best or you’ll wake up with your clothes soaking wet, feelin" like you forgot to get up to go to the bathroom. I hope this helps.

Good Afternoon, all pain medication will make you sweat, I battle with day and night time sweats . Here’s what I do during the day I carry a cloth and at night I take a hot shower and that usually cools me off. But I purchase silk like night gowns so that it’s thin on my skin and I just use a thin blanket. And the heat remains on degrees. Plus you have to try to smile to keep from crying from dealin with the issues that you deal with it. 😰😭💯😘🤗

1 Like

Good Afternoon, Hey not be tellin" my age but I’m pushin 50 and I also take Oxycodone for my Illness and I’m not going through all that geesh have you spoken to anyone I take mine 4x’s a day and I don’t have all those issues. I mean I keep my heat on 70 no fan