News articles blaming opiod users for opiod issues

Does any one else struggle with the news articles on opiod use feel the are blaming us with chronic nerve damage as culprits for the issues out their?

15 Likes

Absolutely!

8 Likes

Hi I am, I hate being treated like a drug addict because I need pain meds. I can’t get any now and I have no quality of life. I’ve tried some other things nothing works. How do you cope?

15 Likes

I have gotten a Tens unit and I use Biofreeze topical.

6 Likes

It’s awful that those of us that need them and don’t abuse it, feel like addicts if we need it. I am in pain all day long. I 🛌 a lot so i don’t feel it, but I’m sure it’s still there. Have you tried CBD, because i haven’t but I’m thinking about it, in some form. I hate marijuana. Don’t like feeling out of control. But i need help and it sounds like you do too.

16 Likes

Yes !It is horrible that the news labels everyone that is in pain due to injury as a drug addicted.

8 Likes

Unfortunately folks don’t know the difference between addiction and dependence. I’m not addicted to my strong pain meds but I am dependent upon them to have some semblance of a “normal “ life. Remove them from me and not only will that, hm, anger me but I’ll go through withdrawals and then become even less functional. I’ve been on the same dosage for a decade so obviously don’t abuse these meds necessary to my daily existence. Yes there are folks who abuse these same meds - but us chronic pain sufferers aren’t abusing them, we are no different from a diabetic dependent upon insulin for quality of life. m
So I’ll keep on keeping on, as they say, and will deal with the increasing restrictions being placed on those of us requiring these meds to live. I’m very lucky to have a fantastic pain doctor and wish others have the same good fortune in obtaining someone to help them deal with their chronic pain.
Aloha!

20 Likes

Yes, and although I voted for the legislation for the legal medical marijuana, I am now being vilified by my new pain Management Doctor that I had to change to due to a change of insurance to a HMO. And he sends me email reports regarding our visits (2) and is always stressing how I am adamantly opposed to the use of medical marijuana. I have Intrinsic Pain from multiple surgeries and Pulmonary Sarcoidosis and Systemic Sarcoidosis in which my body forms hemorrhagic cysts and although it looks like cancer and spread like cancer, it is VERY painful, also Fibromyalgia, Migraines and anxiety issues. I have bone marrow involvement and cysts from my Sacrum, tailbone, and total spine and now in my right rib cage. I am on Gabapentin and Synthroid for the loss of normal hormone levels due to the kidney and Adrenal gland removed and gallbladder removed and I was piece milled until hysterectomy when I was 24. I have never recovered from the pain of the surgeries from the kidney and Adrenal gland. Then the spread into the Sacrum and on up. My doctor begrudgingly gave me a Rx for 10mg of Oxycodone and I had to sign a agreement that I am fully aware that he would never increase the amount of narcotics. I am so brain dead and I am fighting to get by in the present that it’s difficult to think about the future. I am not suicidal nor is it in my Spiritual beliefs. I am just suffering and I have fears of what it could become if 10 out 10 is the worst pain, what happens if or when it’s a 11? I don’t feel heard. I know that we are expected to live life a day at a time, but I am in the nanosecond to nanosecond period of time. And I still try and paste a smile and “act” fine and "fake it till I feel it ". But i’m not feeling it. Sorry for the long monologue, I am having a great amount of pain and not my cheerleading self. May God bless you all and I wish we were meeting under different circumstances. Have a blessed week.

13 Likes

When I had good insurance, I was taken seriously and treated with respect to the degree of the pain I had, now I am on a HMO and only a Medicare HMO and have more disease progression and barely the minimum of pain medication. I am in a VERY brain numbing Chronic pain condition that I cannot even see through a normal routine of life. I am at home (the grateful for it), but wish that I could have a more comfortable productive life.
Yes, I am a mother and grandmother of four grandchildren, and I have a VERY wonderful husband, but unfortunately I can’t even run a vacuum cleaner or sweep my own floors. I also dislike being made to feel like a drug addict because I am suffering. The many people who have abused their lives and their choices have definitely made a impact on those of us who are affected by the disease of pain. Whether it’s migraines or Fibromyalgia or multiple issues that are Systemic. It is not healthy for us to have to pay for the other.

11 Likes

You are right, things are getting so much harder for those of us who are not addicts and truly need it for relief. It’s terrible! It makes us feel even worse than we do. Good luck.

14 Likes

I haven’t figured out how to answer posts yet but I agree with what I’ve seen. I have a tens and I’ve tried CBD oil and it’s not enough. I need the opioids.

10 Likes

My husband was on pain meds. His doctor stopped treatment. Now he is on nothing. We called as many doctors as we could for appointments, but none of them would take him. So, he had to come off his morphine (3×daily) on his own. 15 years ago, the doctor he first saw got him so hooked and on so many of them it was craziness. And so now, the powers that be, have the GAL to blame us for the opioid crisis.
We are going to try CBD oil next. Hopefully it will work.

10 Likes

Definitely! It’s so wrong and off base…

8 Likes

Yes it makes it very hard.

7 Likes

Thank you. I have had 12 surgeries on my left leg. I have experienced severe Vascular and nerve damage.

6 Likes

@anon29615611, I hope you see this. I read your long monologue and you are so not alone! I understand what you’re feeling. I don’t have the same issues as you. But I have many of my own. This morning it was cold. I live in South Texas so we don’t get cold very often or for long. Praise Jesus. I was in so much pain this morning, I was just shaking from it. I took my gabapentin but it takes a while for it to kick in. My husband is a pastor and the church is two streets over. He came home, made me some oatmeal and fixed my getting pad for me. I was grateful. But I’m only fifty three and can’t do my house any more, etc. I conserve myself for church because I need to be"on" there. I do pray for you, I’m sure you are in many of our thoughts here in this community. Thankful for this outlet!

7 Likes

It’s been a VERY difficult time and situation, I feel as though I am not being heard and I hate being patronized. And for what? 10mg of Oxycodone every 8 hours? I am sitting on Tarlov Cysts that are in the base of my spine where the nerves exit the spine at the bottom and they fill with cerebral spinal fluid and balloon out into the nerves, painful. Then I have Systemic Sarcoidosis which means that it’s traveled from the Sacrum to the Spine throughout to the top of my head and neck. I can’t eat because of the pain in my face and mouth
Yeah, this pain is beyond 3 and CBD Oil.

5 Likes

Look up the “Spoon Theory” it might help you and your loved ones understand what you are going through. Google it.

6 Likes

@anon29615611
Just watched two things on the spoon theory. Incredibly accurate!!! I had not heard of it before. Thank you for telling me about it.

5 Likes

Do you take a long lasting opioid? I found that the supposed ‘eight’ hour ones caused me to have too many fluctuations while a 24 hour single dose keeps me on a more even keel. Plus my spinal cord stimulator, of course. I’ve known other pain pals who had the other device that puts the opioid right into the spinal canal work well for them. There are options that hopefully could work for others. As an old time pain pal used to say - keep on keeping on!
Aloha!

5 Likes