Med advice?

I was on Zoloft for a long time. It exhausted me too, I felt like I was walking around in a haze all the time lol.
The exhaustion got better though after a few weeks (my mind was still a bit hazy but I wasn’t always tired anymore). Keep in mind the effects of meds differ from person to person. It may get better for you, like it did me, or it may not…
Try it for the twelve weeks like the doc said and see how you’re doing after that time period. If you’re still exhausted all the time then talk to the doc about trying something different.
Keep at it until you find what works best for you! Meds take time to work, it’s important to be sure you’re giving it enough time before switching.

I just started lexapro yesterday for GAD / panic disorder, no depression. Did you have any side effects?

1 Like

I was taking zoloft until I started giving my possessions away to the people I wanted to have it upon my death. The zoloft made me feel this was normal behavior.

2 Likes

I know how you feel but keep taking your meds don’t give up because that’s what the devil 😈 want you to do. I know it’s really hard for me to.

1 Like

I also hated taking Zoloft it was the worst for me it made me feel sleepy I felt like a total that needed a nap. I take Latuda at night

1 Like

“SSRI-induced mania.”

Not necessarily. If it is causing negative symptoms, that is worth taking seriously.

1 Like

Amy, keeping in mind that you are 16, first it is impressive that you are taking charge of, and actively monitoring, your medication management. This is a point I cannot stress enough: Because Zoloft is an SSRI, it can—and frequently does—induce mania in those with a predisposition or family history of bipolar or mental illness. It can even trigger the illness in those who might have had underlying bipolar disorder that potentially might not have ever come to the surface without the SSRI drug. A combination of a mood stabilizers and an antipsychotic is more appropriate for those with, or predisposed to, bipolar or mood disorder, if that is the case. (I am not a psychiatrist, but get one and ask these important questions). A good psychiatrist will be fully aware of this and not prescribe SSRIs or stimulants (Vyvanse, Adderall, etc.) of any kind to anyone with mood disorder or bipolar. And doctors have the responsibility of asking about family history and screening for potential mood disorder before prescribing these medications. “First: Do no harm.” Especially without a mood stabilizer first “on board.” If new negative or disconcerting symptoms emerge or worsen when taking an SSRI, that is the hallmark of “SSRI activation” or “SSRI-induced mania.” Please look up both terms in depth and inform the prescribing doctor of any worsening behavior (either mania, depression or impulsivity) and of any relatives with bipolar, depression, suicide or schizophrenia. Oftentimes, a negative response to an SSRI can be considered diagnostic of mania. It’s not always best to “wait it out” for weeks while potentially life-endangering symptoms are emerging. Also, suddenly stopping such medications can cause suicidality, so if negative symptoms are emerging and the doctor or psychiatrist agrees the medication is not right, they will likely suggest weaning as a safer alternative. Also, Adderall is more often than not at the root of manic or suicidal symptoms. Mania + stimulants are clearly beyond counterintuitive. And it is always, ALWAYS best to see a psychiatrist for any medication to treat teenagers. For your anxiety, you may want to inquire with a psychiatrist about Gabapentin, which can be a good safer medication for anxiety. Cognitive behavioral therapy (a therapist with specific experience and training in “CBT”) is essential to addressing causes of OCD and learning to identify and plan for triggers. Keep in mind that if a medication is taken to treat ADHD and it induces mood disorder, then treating and diagnosing the mood disorder is the priority before treating the ADHD. The takeaway: Medicines that help ADHD (stimulants) and OCD (SSRIs) very, very often trigger mood disorders, severe depression and suicidality. You clearly are mature and responsible about managing your mental health, sticking with that can make ALL the difference in the arc of your life. I would keep a spiral with a chart of medications (brand and generic names), dosages, doc/psychiatrist name and number, reason you are being prescribed a medicine and details of your response to the medications. This will prove invaluable from here on out when it comes to being able to tell your doctor what you’ve tried, how it worked or didn’t, and side effects. There is also gene testing, which some have said has identified types of medications that are more likely to work for them. Best of luck to you.

1 Like

Jeff makes excellent points.

thank you i definitely will keep all of that into consideration. i switched medicines and now i’m on cymbalta and something else for anxiety. at this point with starting up school and work it’s been a lot to take in. the other medicine i’m taking has been so great since i can sleep. well this was a little rambley but i just wanted to say that i really appreciate the advice given and i definitely will look into the ssri things you mentioned

Baby my opinion is to keep on taking your meds you don’t have long. I hate taking my fifteen meds and my six at night plus one shot a long with checking my sugar and on Sundays I also have to take my Trulicity but God got us if you believe. We’re not alone and theirs others worts then us

1 Like

You’re welcome

I am using Bupropion (Wellbutrin). It has been helpful for me and I not experiencing any side effects. They had me try a bunch if others but side effects were making me more depressed… Keep with it, sooner or later you will hit on one that works for you. Most do take several weeks before you get the full effect.

1 Like

Try taking it at bedtime
You “sleep “ when you are groggy and
Wake up less depressed
Great doctor got me on that program and it makes a huge difference

1 Like

Hydroxizine for anxiety is really good. I’ve had to change my meds over a dozen times and it’s the only one that’s made a difference. Ask your doctor about a GeneSight test, it tests your DNA to see what drugs have a better chance of helping you

1 Like

I noticed earlier that someone mentioned Effexor. That’s what I take for my depression. I absolutely love it. I’ve tried several meds over the last 6 years and this is the first one that doesn’t make me a zombie.

1 Like

I think Jeff your taking to ppl that don’t understand what your saying. I do and I encourage you to keep up the the words of caution and encouragement to learn about what it is your putting in your body at any age the older population need to be aware of the side effects too. As you age your body stops processing thing like it did before.

I was on Zoloft many years ago and I didn’t notice any side effects other than the typical sexual side effects ie E.D. It didn’t really help but I can understand the feeling of being sleepy all the time. The drugs for depression that control the seretonin levels usually have a downer type feeling. I was on many of these and then found Effexor XR. It was great. The first and only drug I tried that didn’t have all the pesky downer effects. It works on the other chemical in the brain. Neuropenephren, it gives you energy. You should discuss it with your doctor. I can’t take it because my doctor believes that the extra energy will worsen my insomnia. It probably would but since being off of it I haven’t found a drug that works as well as it did. I’m on trazadone for depression and it turns me into a zombie. My regimen is plentiful taking Klonopin, Trazadone, Lamictal, Depakote, Gabapentin, all for mental illness.

1 Like

In case your interested…

ZME Science: Why ketamine is so good against depression.

https://www.zmescience.com/science/why-ketamine-is-so-good-against-depression/

hi i’m 19 years old, i have general anxiety disorder and panic disorder and i was recently put on wellbutrin (bupropion XL) and gabapentin about 4 weeks ago. they were prescribed to me by a psychiatrist and she explained to me that gabapentin and wellbutrin are both commonly used for anxiety and wellbutrin is also used for depression and can also help you be more awake and focus better. i still get anxiety but it doesn’t affect my body as much as it did before. and i have noticed my mood to be a bit more stabilized than before. maybe they wouldn’t be so bad to try?