Med advice?

hey so i started taking zoloft and i absolutely hate it. my doctor said to stick with it for 12 weeks so i will. i have ocd, anxiety, depression and adhd. i take adderall for the ocd. any recommendations for my next med to try? note: i hate it because it makes me exhausted, like i sleep for 12 hours. oh also i’m 16 and i go to a therapist. oh oh and i started like 8 weeks ago.

5 Likes

Have you tried Effexor?

4 Likes

nope not yet. i’ve only tried the zoloft but i’ll look into that!

1 Like

I tried a few others n it had been good for me so far. Main thing is just don’t give up trying different ones until you find the one that works for you. 💜💜

5 Likes

thank you that’s really encouraging to hear. i feel stable now but so tired and i was thinking of stopping medication but i know that things would go downhill fast.

1 Like

Stick with it like the doctor asked. Some odd the side effects may get less thr longer you are on it. I always give the medicine at least 4 weeks for that reason unless you are start having a really bad reaction to it. Plus remember we’re here if you need us!!💜

1 Like

You might want to ask the doctor what these medications were originally created for… it was only after the true costs of long term care started becoming readily apparent that the idea of just medicating people to keep them from utilizing real long term therapy that these drugs were approved for use in non hospital settings. The idea was for these drugs to allow a therapist to reach the unreachable in talk therapy and when the patient had made sufficient progress then withdraw them from the psychiatric medications that made that initial progress possible. Now we have an entire group of people that can never stop taking prozac and zoloft unless they got off it in the first 6 months. After 6 months the human brain adapts to the drug and from that point forward the drug can not be withdrawn unless the subject goes through a really nasty series of withdraw symptoms.

I understand that since people need help but to blandly had them a pill and say this will make your problems go away is the height of hypocrisy. Unfortunately I’ve met too many psychiatric doctors in the past 30 years who fall into this category. It is really simple to hand someone a pill and bill them for the appointment, it takes many appointments to deal with the true underlying issues in a psychosis, hence the turn to the quick and easy pill rather than actually fixing the problem.

Be very careful with anything that will modify your body’s internal systems, be extremely careful with things that modify your mental state.

Best wishes,
NoCoJeff

2 Likes

i think since i’m young and i still go to the pediatrician my meds are a bit more restricted. my doctor only prescribed me the zoloft after she knew i got a therapist. she also calls me every two weeks to make sure i’m doing okay with it. but i will keep in mind to not over do it!

Please do be careful none as of these meds have been studied in a developing body/ brain, and most psych meds have only ancillary data to show efficacy. They are being given out like candy to the masses who demand to feel good. There is a price to feeling good, and usually you are not aware of that price for many years. I only hope that when that price tag comes due your generation will do a better job of dealing with the costs than sweeping it under the rug for another couple of decades.

I’m not advocating stopping taking your meds I’m just advocating full implied consent. (If you don’t know what implied consent is I’d recommend starting your medical search there.) It is your job as the patient to take care of your body, which entails knowing what it is that you are being prescribed, what that medication will do, are there any side effects that you need to know about, and lastly are there other therapies that will do the damage thing with less damage to the body…

I took Zoloft a long time ago and I was working and it made me feel like a zombie
I now take escitalophram 20mg and do really well

1 Like

Don’t stop. You and you Doctor will find the medications that will be good for you symptoms. It took me a bit but I am great now. Along with therapy you wouldn’t know I am having an anxiety attack. My mania balances out my depression. Stay strong!

1 Like

Just think you are going to make the right medication choices my son was on adderall it made him tired and sleepy very impulsive and it made his heart beat real fast I take Zoloft 50mg It helps sometimes I use to take trileptal everyone’s body reacts different to meditations

1 Like

i accidentally wrote that the adderall was for ocd when i meant adhd but i’ve been on that for 6 years and it works really good for me but i mentioned it because i wasn’t sure if it affected my symptoms with zoloft

I highly recommend seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist as well. I have had a horrible experience with trusting my mental health to my family doctor. They are only trained in a general knowledge of mental health, so they don’t know the exact symptoms and issues that go along with different disorders and such. You need to create a team that consists of you, your therapist, your doctor, and a psychiatrist. When all 4 work together, then you will have a much better support system. Also, I would look into welbutrin or venlafaxine. They work well together too. Good Luck to you! Don’t give up. It takes time sometimes to find the right treatment, but once you do find what works for you, you will be so happy you kept trying.

3 Likes

thank you it’s really encouraging to here that. i was considering stopping since the zoloft turns me into a zombie but it’s nice to hear that if i stick it out it will benefit me!

1 Like

I take Effexor XR it treats OCD anxiety and depression I’ve taken it for many years and it works for me I have all three of those as well I hope this helps

1 Like

I’ve been on meds since 1993!
Yes, they all have side effects and some are addicting, but they do help.
I am a totally different person if I am not taking my meds. Honestly I will bite my husbands head off and he will say you been forgetting your meds haven’t you!
Weight gain is a side effect I am fighting now. But I feel good mentally, other than being down on myself for being a fatass
I have bipolar 1, ADHD, severe anxiety, severe depression, I get agoraphobic in large crowds, ie football stadiums, I have panic attacks, and PTSD.
So some of us Do need medication and aren’t Just Guinea Pigs for big pharma.
I suppose you take Tylenol for a headache. Insulin for diabetes. Well mental illness is a disease also and is treated with medication as well.

No I take much stronger meds for my headaches, I have issues with pain management and schezio affective disorder. I know from experience and it sounds like you do too that these meds have very serious side effects and even less is know about what happens in adolescents and children. Especially since these meds were never intended for use in these populations, all I’m doing is sounding a waring in the wilderness at this point. Yet people think that since they are fine with a certain med then it must be fine to give it to someone whose brain isn’t even finished forming yet. Again all I’m saying is learn about these meds especially when you’re thinking about giving them to someone who isn’t finished growing up yet.

NoCoJeff

2 Likes

I would say that a parent will be making the decisions on what is actually taken.

1 Like

I was on Zoloft for a long time. It exhausted me too, I felt like I was walking around in a haze all the time lol.
The exhaustion got better though after a few weeks (my mind was still a bit hazy but I wasn’t always tired anymore). Keep in mind the effects of meds differ from person to person. It may get better for you, like it did me, or it may not…
Try it for the twelve weeks like the doc said and see how you’re doing after that time period. If you’re still exhausted all the time then talk to the doc about trying something different.
Keep at it until you find what works best for you! Meds take time to work, it’s important to be sure you’re giving it enough time before switching.