Lung infection

Went too my doctor appointment today and she told me I may have a lung infection or COPD, can someone please help me out and understand this. I know I need to stop smoking that is what I am going to due but is this COPD non treatable or more medicine I have to take. Is this something like asthma but more serious? Need help to understand.

9 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that.
I was diagnosed with COPD 8 years ago. My Dr gave me 4 at the very best 5 years. I moved from Chicago got a new Dr and here I am 8 years later. It does not have to be a death sentence. You just need to make some lifestyle changes such as quit smoking eat healthily and exercise daily if your overweight lose a few lbs. Take your meds.
You can have a very normal productive and happy life.

Healing Prayers being sent your way.

19 Likes

Thank you for your kind words I will take them to heart I have a granddaughter too live for and she means the world to me I will beat this I am a fighter

12 Likes

You Go girl. Try either ecig or chantix. If you go with the ecigs you will have to decrease the nicotine every 3 months until you are at o/mlg then you can quit the ecig in like 9 months.

7 Likes

No more meds I will go cold turkey with my children help I will stop smoking, it’s been 48hrs now and I am fine it’s all about will power like they said overcome achieve and adapt that’s words too live by, hoorah

16 Likes

COPD is much more serious as your oxygen level keeps going down. It will turn into Emphasemae and you will probably have to go on oxygen. Tomorrow I am doing week long of test to see if I qualify for a double lung transplant

6 Likes

If you take a nebulizer I found a great one for $175. It is as small as a small I phone and gets medicine to you fast.

9 Likes

It could be I have copd they tested me at mercy hospital. If you do it takes a few years to get bad my sister in law had it for quite a few years. Then it will turn into emphazema. And it is hereditary from a mother or father not a sibling.

4 Likes

Emphysema is hereditary? That is interesting, I suppose my father knew way back when. He told me I better quit smoking and eat better to stay strong.

4 Likes

This is very serious I have a relative in icu right now due to COPD complications. This is nothing to play with. Please do your best to stop smoking because with COPD you will eventually need oxygen and that is very flammable. I have two cousins dealing with this issue and so am I. But thank GOD I’m not as bad as them. Please take care of yourself.

6 Likes

I have a virus growing in my lungs. It is called avasive aspergillosis. It is making very hard for me to breath. I have no idea if this is your infection or not but I wish some one would tell me if they have had it and if they got over it? If you or anyone can help me please responld. I would write more but I tire to easy. I was, in hospital but now at a rehab place.

6 Likes

These are all good questions for your doctor. The severity and how quickly it progresses (or doesn’t progress) will be seen as you stop smoking and start treatment, if necessary.

5 Likes

I started smoking when I was 15 I was over 50 before I quit. Probably been 15 years since I quit. Never thought I could. I am trying to remember a medicine my Secretary told me her husband took said it helped him but he started up again it was a medicine to treat anxiety I believe. I started taking it and after a few weeks I realized I was smoking less and less. One day a couple months later I realized I only smoked 2 cigarettes next day I went all day had one cigarette and told myself I was going to try and not smoke any more you know I quit. I started again after several months later but I got back on the pills and quit with in a month. I still every once in awhile a while smell and crave a cigarette. I became a Christian and I feel that was a factor that and my children and wife. I’ll ask my Secretary I don’t work much any more cigarettes affected my circulation and today hindered my mobility

5 Likes

Things did not work out for me at the doctors and now my test came back that I have COPD. Is this a long term problem or can this be cured? What am I looking forward to for treatment and life.

4 Likes

Yes I have COPD myself which was chronic asthma and chronic bronchitis I quit smoking 3 weeks before I was diagnosed with this and I quit I went 3 packs A-day cold Turkey and it was the best move I ever made with asthma and COPD you are signing your own death certificate by keep smoking it’s something you need to take very serious if you think it’s not that bed wait to you get like myself where I am on oxygen 24 hours A-day and I cannot walk more than 10-15’ without gasping for air if that’s how you wanna live keep smoking I really like to see you stop because it cigarets are not worth it.
Joe D

7 Likes

Maybe you could do me a favor and post it or a link to it because I need to do breathing treatments 3 times A-day and if I can get a smaller machine I’d really really like it.
Joe D

3 Likes

I take it that no one knows anything about it?

3 Likes

I am on the medicine tessalon 100mg for now until l go back to the doctor in 3 weeks, also I have sleep apnea and just keep me in your thoughts and thanks for the support

5 Likes

I will ask my doctor about it and try your insurance company (medical) where you can get one

4 Likes

@tbrow1545
How is your quest to quit smoking going? I hope you succeed.

5 Likes