Life after sleep apnea

I’ve always snored since I was a little kid but didn’t think much of it. Then my dentist asked me a few questions and recommended I have a sleep study (I have a good dentist). I was able to do it at home and it turned out I have severe sleep apnea and my blood oxygen levels were dropping to dangerous levels. I’ve been using a CPAP for around a year now and I feel so much better. I was apprehensive at first, visions of sleeping hooked up to a machine like Darth Vader, but in reality it was a easy transition. It its a bit more baggage when I travel but it’s been worth it! Also now I can pretend I’m Darth Vader.

25 Likes

my doctor has suggested a study but I don’t want to have to listen to a machine all night as I’m already super sensitive to sounds.

5 Likes

Same. Mine is whisper quiet. Also has the advantage of having a humidifier all year round.

8 Likes

My apnea machine is so quiet it doesn’t wake me or anyone else in the family. I was worried about the same thing. My advise is go get your sleep study done and you will see the machine right that night. There are several mask to choose from. If you don’t like one they allow you to change till you get the one that’s right for you. Its worth the try. You will feel so much better.

7 Likes

My wife also has a CPAP machine that is quite new and VERY quiet. Not only does it help to prevent headaches, but is supposedly better for your energy levels by giving you better sleep overall. Her sleep apnea was causing her to awake abruptly during the night due to bad airflow problems in her breathing.

4 Likes

My machine at first was waking the Mrs I put it in a drawer that I ventilated and she sleeps with it now. I also have oxygen hooked up and it’s not that bad.

1 Like

I have been working standing on my feet for less than 8 years yet my feet interfered. Now, my Dr just sent me for a sleep study in August. My son NOW says, “oh yes you snore every night!” 1st study said, it’s bad. I got mask and waiting for VA cpap, but getting tonsilectomy may delay it. I am beginning to wonder what problems have been caused by apnea.

3 Likes

Believe me the machine are made super quiet now that they are hard to hear. And the change in your life will be worth it by the extra sleep you get.

2 Likes

I have had a CPap since May 2017. The best thing I’ve ever done! This machine is Not Noisy and I can sleep soooo much better. I have stopped snoring completely, which is a great relief to my husband :) I have not missed a night and don’t intend to because life seems so much better! I would recommend to anyone with issues to have the test ! What a difference it has made in my life…and my husbands.

2 Likes

I’ve been using a CPAP machine for over 10 years. It is amazing how much better I feel during the day after sleeping 💤 completely through the night.

3 Likes

I agree with the others I’ve had a CPAP machine for years and yes when they first started out they were quite noisy but now they’re pretty whisper quiet don’t let that stop you from getting the help you need because it’s not just an issue of whether you snore not at night it’s a issue of whether you fall asleep during the day or at the wheel even it happened to me

3 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement they say oxygen will help with the migraines I just not sure I can deal with the noise

4 Likes

I am doing my sleep study this week wish me luck. It is good to have a community of people who are persevering, living life and most of all , staying positive through this experience.

8 Likes

Good luck and hope all went Great!

2 Likes

I have stage 5 sleep apnea a couple of years ago. I’m on oxygen at night. I really don’t know if it’s really helping. I’ve developed a significant sleep problem now I guess it would be called insomnia. What to do?

2 Likes

Hello U guys I did my 1st test This was a machine that I had to take home. They did not detect any sleep apnea but I’m gonna take a second test. I just wanna be accurate I am going into the office to do the real sleep study. This one is more accurate.

4 Likes

I too use a CPAP. While the hose can be a pain I have found I prefer the smaller masks. They stay on better for the way I sleep. 👍

3 Likes

I’ve been using a CPAP for over a year now and haven’t really seen a difference in my sleep. I still have bouts of insomnia and headaches. I was taking sleeping medication but have stopped taking it. It may help, we’ll see.

3 Likes

Do you have a sleep doctor? The big risks are stroke or heart attack due to oxygen deprivation. It probably won’t help you sleep. I would seek a doctors advice.

3 Likes

I tried a CPAP, it was never set up right and would drown me! I later, about a year had a gastric bypass done. Now I hardly have any issues with my sleep!

4 Likes