Knee replacement

Hi all. I had total right knee replacement (trkr) 12/19 its 3/2020 and once I stopped PT I started getting worse. I went back to the gym as suggested and was so happy to be able to start working out again. My PT said I could benefit for more esp for my flexibility (bending my knee) as we had gotten movement in my extension (straightening). But she didnt think insurance would approve it. I was in the er over the weekend 3/6/20 and when I saw my orthopedic doctor this past friday, he agreed with me that it was time to do a MUA (manipulation, basically forcing my leg to bend or straighten. Thereby breaking through the scar tissue that is likely the cause of the stiffness and pain) so 3/16/20 thata what I’ll be having done. And then it’s right back into PT to jump on it right away.
I need to get my left knee done as well and I was thinking of having it done in April after my anniversary. Now, if after this my flexion and strength doeant get better, i may have to delay.

2 Likes

I had both knees done 5 months apart had same issues but going to PT after 2nd knee they helped with 1st knee and got both working very well. Good luck.

4 Likes

Thank you so much. I really need these knees to act right. I had gastric surgery to get approved bow I’m stuck weight wise… and this pain is crazy…

2 Likes

I did not have gastric bypass surgery but lost 180lbs That helped with pain. Still cannot kneel on them after 10 years

1 Like

I also had both knees done 5 months apart, but ran out of PT visits after my 2nd knee. You may want to check your insurance to see if there is a limit on how many visits per year.

3 Likes

I wish you well on your knee surgery. It seems that you are doing everything you can to heal. Hoping that when you do your Left knee that things go well.

3 Likes

I too have knees that are shot!!! I never considered that my weight would be a factor determining surgery…I am 5 foot 6…and weigh 213 lbs…mostly top heavy…( big boobs…lol…tummy…hips and legs pretty normal…not wide or fat from hips down…I bet they won’t do me then…because I am about 60 to 70 lbs overweight. Do you think they will not do it?? Would love any feedback on what you think…thx!!!

1 Like

I believe they will do it. I was 5’6” and 225 when I had mine done.

2 Likes

Cool!!! Maybe I might be a candidate then…maybe higher weights are more detrimental!! Thanks!!!

1 Like

It would depend on a few factors. Your insurance, and their rules and also your orthopedic doctor. Plus how bad ur knees are. I was.bone on bone. But because I was do young (46 at the time) he suggested the weight to help get it approved.

1 Like

Yes because knee replacement is supposed to last X amount of years they really try to make u wait ( which makes no sense to me) while ur young they’d rather you be in pain and then when ur older and retired they fix the knees. 🤦🏽‍♀️
I’m glad my orthopedic surgeon fought for me.

1 Like

Hi they told me i have to wait till i am 53 …i am 44 and my knee gives me problems

1 Like

Thank you!!

Thnx for the input!

1 Like

Thx!!

1 Like

Oh I see!! Thank you so much for the insight…

1 Like

I am now 58…so I guess we shall see!!! Thx so much!!!

1 Like

Oh…well I’ll see what happens!! I’m 58 now…worked on my feet all my life…waitress…thanks Dr the advise!! Xo

Best of luck. If you have a good doctor. Hell push for you especially if its effecting your quality of life

1 Like

Thank you!!!