ISO Help for me son

Hello. I’m looking for ideas to help my son gain weight. He’s about 5’8 and weighs 130 I think. He’s like. 30” waist but we can never find that in his height. So he gets 32”
Anyway he’s constantly going down on the scale, and his doctor has been worried about him. Even when he played football he didn’t gain weight.
I don’t want to give him a bunch of junk food, as I just had bariatric surgery and am eating a new way. We just changed the house over to eating healthy since 3/4 people need to loose. He’s the 1 that could gain. I’d prefer he gained it in healthy muscle, compared to fat.
Any ideas would be great thank you.

2 Likes

Feed him,protein plant based, some fats avacado, butter, some fat on meat…bread, grains, spaghetti, noodles, rice. Meat chicken hamburger lamb, fruits cantaloupe, peachs nectarines bananas apples, and some cookies or our a slice or a piece of candy for sugar…

3 Likes

Pie*)

Thanks. We still do eat rice (jasmine rice) and wheat or veggie pasta (are those okay) but potatoes are out. (I miss potatoes 😂) he gets a box of snacks usually like cheese crackers or cookies in the single pouches. He loves fruit way more than veggies. I found this chart so I’m going to try this as well

2 Likes

That looks like a good healthy plan. But I wouldn’t put much hope in him gaining weight on just fruit and veggies. He needs starch…and protein…that will put the weight on …potatoes would be great for him!

2 Likes

Boo not just fruits😂 I was saying he’s not a big veggie eater. It’s a struggle lol so I had found this as a replacement. Since he loves fruits. Definitely meat and other protein rich foods.

2 Likes

I drink protein shakes in between healthy meals too and they have different flavors in them too but it is good for you too.
Debbie Lebarron

2 Likes

I’m sure he’ll gain weight and in a very heath conscious environment!!☺

2 Likes

Thanks. We are all learning. It’s a lifestyle change and everyone is going in fighting and fussing lol.
But it’s going to be done. They don’t have a Choice. I do the shopping and cooking.

2 Likes

Get a medical check up

3 Likes

How old is your son?
If he is a teenager, as he gets older he will gain weight as his metabolism starts to slow down.
I have two female friends, one is 27, and the other is in her 50’s, who are blessed with high metabolisms and can eat anything they want all day long and never gain weight.

2 Likes

I was that way most of my life. You should not really worry about it as long as he is healthy, eating a good diet, and staying active. Once I hit my mid 40s I began to gain the weight.

4 Likes

Hi doctor is worried about his weight. This isnt just me worried. He gains a few and then loses it. He goes from non stop eating to barely eating. He’s 16, 5’8 and 125 pounds. He’s always been on the low spectrum weight wise and y’all for his age. But there an unhealthy weight. And he’s borderline. So I just want him to be healthy.

1 Like

He’s gets one every year. His doctor has made several comments about his low weight. But nothing seems to work long term

1 Like

I drink a plant protein called Ka’chava. You make it as a shake so there’s no making a special meal just for him. He can still eat with the family whatever you’ve made. I don’t know for sure that this will make him gain weight but at least he will be eating healthy. I have it twice a day. Either by itself or with a meal. Maybe with both he can gain some weight.

2 Likes

Thank you. Will try it.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I was about to say.

I joined the military at 5 foot 7 inches and 115 pounds. At the end of my military career 24 years later I weighed 123 pounds. When I slowed down on my physical activities and began lounging around the weight started climbing. During my time in the military I was consuming 2500 to 3500 calories a day. Like your son, there would be days where I didn’t feel like eating. These symptoms seem to be normal. Each meal you want him to consume around 800 calories per meal, 150 to 200 calories for snack. Smaller meals 6 or more times a day may alleviate the urge do without. Everyone’s metabolism is different yet 2 to 4 hours should be time to replenish your body.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. He wants to play football and I’m so nervous. He’s a junior he’s only played 1 year. And these kids been playing their whole life. I mean I’m glad he wants to do something. But I want him to be in good physical
Shape to do it.

1 Like

Huel is an easy, healthy, and cheap way to add calories to his diet. It’s a complete meal powder that has all the nutrients the human body needs, tastes good, and it’s 100% vegan.

3 scoops in about 20 oz of water is 600 calories. You can just shake it in water as the easiest preparation, but it’s slightly grainy. I use a bullet blender and often use juice instead of water and add frozen fruits.

They just came out with ready to drink bottles too, but I haven’t tried them yet.

www.huel.com

2 Likes