Insomniac but be weary do research

Hello everyone I’m new to the community I’ve suffered from chronic idiopathic insomnia since I was a child and later was diagnosed with PTSD with frequent night terrors needless to say I’ve run the gauntlet of therapy,psychiatry and medication after nearly a year of nights of complete terror since Mylan has had a year long Dalmane (Flurazepam) of which I take 30mg hs. without it it was terrible trying to find replacements to a drug that came out in 1970 it has an extremely long half life witch has given it such a bad wrap over the tears as many people are still completely sedated the next day and behaving strangely as there inhibitions were all but erased but the other side is this medication gives me sleep where nothing else does( other than barbiturates but I would not take them regularly because I know how addictive they are although when I would be prescribed Seconal I slept like a baby) so in this almost year where I was calling any pharmacy at my drs recommendation to see if anywhere had any West-Ward or Mylan generics 15mg or 30mg and to call him and he’d call in an Rx ASAP cause he knew the shortage was coming and told me the horrors of people getting off just Dalmane alone I was using 60mg of Restoril (Temazepam) and waking up 4 hrs later wide awake having to take my max dose of Halcion (Triazolam) .25mg one to two tablets for nocturnal awaking from PTSD nightmares this has been part of my sleep med routine for a long while all I can say is thank god that they finally got them back on the shelves I can allow my 6-8 hours and function like a normal person again with that said be careful these medications can be very insidious very helpful short term but spend more than a two weeks to a month on benzodiazepines like this and you will find yourself reaching for that bottle if you’ve been taking it every night and I’m in one of the very strongest short-acting benzodiazepine sleeping pill I mean an very short it’s chemically extremely similar to Xanax as it’s a “triazo” ring benzo that were put out in the 80’s as short acting anxiolytics as an other option to the more and more demonized Valium at that point in time only to have them backfire and have people need them more often and then there’s the Dalmane Hoffman-LaRosche the makers of Librium and Valium had come out with a non barbiturate sleep aid that was benzodiazepine derived it also showed efficiency after 28 continued nights with increased REM sleep than that of barbiturates, Qualuudes, Gluthedimide Placdyl etc. only thing as I said beforehand some people were having the drug in their system well into the next day and then another dose at bedtime before the first faded off I understand how this led to many problems as many people suffered withdrawal most usually worse than that of opiate withdrawal people weren’t right for months and some cases years and others getting off the medication just wasn’t possible or therapeutically appropriate I know these risks and I speak about them with my dr. if someone reads this all want people to understand that for the people who abuse these drugs to understand it’s not recreational for everyone! Some of us really do wa I was introduced to all these meds and my Xanax through legitimate medical means it’s not something to do cause you’re bored or just don’t feel like dealing with you’re annoying family. As a person who is dependent on medication it’s nothing to play with.

2 Likes

Hi I’m insomniac I used to be on Seroquel started out on low dose 100mg All the way up 600mg but it can go up to 800mg. When I say the first time taking it it put me on my ass until my body got used to it. Maybe it’s something you can inquire about. Now I don’t take any meds for sleeping don’t get me wrong I’m prescribed medication but I chose to read until I force myself to lay there until I dose for 2 or 3 hours. My mind races all the time but reading makes everything calm. Just find something that works for you.

1 Like

Also lifelong insomnia. Currently doxepin 50 mg, along with my Gabapentin, Benadryl, Percogesic and Percocet. Guess what still do not sleep. Restoril worked great for me 30 or 60 mg At bed. But in the Yoda wisdom of healthcare it is black boxed with pain meds. Took restoril and Percocet for years, never had a problem, then bam no longer can take together. I also read, paint by number or play games till I fall asleep. Average 4 hours a night. Hang in there. Ask your doctor if you can take Melatonin, it is over the counter and works, stopped taking it as it interacts with one of my meds.

1 Like

Oh hate seroquel have an adverse reaction to it and in my point it’s a terrible drug for bi polar disorder off label prescribed fir anxiety and insomnia. That’s just my opinion of it though

2 Likes

I take pain medication and take either Dalmane or Restoril cause of the flurazepam shortage but ya I know I’m lucky I get looks at the pharmacy and if I tell people I take them both especially I’m considered a drug addict by most

1 Like

I just came off gabapentin in 2029 not fun much like benzodiazepine withdrawal and I was on 900mg a day. I managed to taper myself with a 90 day supply I’m finally getting back to normal after my nerves and nerve pain went through the roof for months bu PT always helps.

1 Like

Meh… It was just a suggestion.

No I appreciate it.

1 Like

I’m back on my regular cocktail of medication. Sleeping as well as I can. Thanks

2 Likes

I know. I’m supposed to be taking Saphris 80 mg but I don’t. I take so many medication’s throughout the day and night I just can’t make myself take anymore.

2 Likes

Ya I came off nuerontin in 2019 it sucked but with all the other meds I’m on as you were saying and I’m 90% back to normal I still have higher nerve pain at times but this was the one to drop I lost 30 pounds and feel much clearer.

1 Like

I agree with your sentiment! I take a sleep aide and an opiate (for extreme chronic pain). The hoops one must jump through have become ridiculous! There are those of us that need these medications! I am with you that these medications are NOT for fun or because one is bored!!!

2 Likes

I have sleep apnea and could never sleep more than a couple hours at a time. They gave me a machine which I could never use as I would take it off in my sleep. My doctors gave me Ambien, valium etc. None of these worked well for me. I now take Trazadone and 30mg of melatonin at night and I’m able to sleep a good 8 hrs and feel great when I wake up.

There is a dental appliance that can help with sleep apnea. I just got one and it seems to be working for me. My partner reports that I no longer snore while on my side. This may be an option for your sleep apnea as it does not sound like that issue is being addressed. Wishing you luck.

1 Like

Yes I’m very luck that I have an understanding dr. That is willing to treat my pain and insomnia with these meds because that physical therapy and just getting up and pushing through it works I would not be able to get myself out of bed from pain and anxiety without modern medicine.

1 Like

Do you have to go to the dentist to get this?

NO of course not
Although I will say I’ve been very similar combos for analgesia and retrograde amnesia for surgical procedures.

1 Like

At the dentist/orthodontist

1 Like

We the many sufferers, pay the price (literally), because of so few and the ignorance for understanding pain management. My opinion.

1 Like

I take 2400 mg of Gabapentin daily. With it my neuropathy pain is somewhat contained. Without Tasmanian devil arises 👿😠👹.

1 Like