I wish I could understand religion but it is hard because I have learning and comprehension disabilities. What do I do? Does anyone have any advice?

I don’t understand stand the concept of having a god because I was never born into a religion and my mother was a junky and she wouldn’t even try to help me with my homework and understand or even noticed that I have had mental and learning disabilities. I heard religion is a wonderful thing to have by my side but how can I try if I don’t understand it. What do I do!

14 Likes

Good Morning
When it comes to religion you have to have faith and trust. It like when you get into a relationship and you open your heart to the person. Well with God this is what we have to learn to do open our hearts to him and invite Him in. He knocks at the door until we invite Him into our hearts and souls. The one thing God wants us to do is talk to Him like we talk to everybody else. He wants us to need Him and pray to Him. This is a way to start your relationship with the Lord. After you start your relationship He will direct and send people to help you, but you have to have patience. I will tell you this from experience He will never leave you nor forsake you. I hope this helps some how but if you have any questions please let me know. Have a beautiful day.

24 Likes

Many people have the same problem as you do and yet unlike you many have been brought up with some religious beliefs what the real problem is they don’t go to the right source. What is really needed is God’s Word the Bible as 2 Timothy 3:16 brings out, “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for settling things straight, for disciplining in righteousness “ in order to really come to know and understand the true religion we have to come to know who God is and what his name is and what was his purpose was for creating the earth and mankind and the only place that we can find the answer to those questions is to go to the Bible the only book God has given us. By the way do you have a Bible? If you have a computer you can download www.jw.org app and get your own bible. You have a choice of which translation you would like or compare the different translations and then if you like we discussed what ever questions you might have using the Bible as the positive authority and not what man thinks. I hope
this starts you on the path of coming to understanding the true religion

17 Likes

What is it exactly that you don’t understand?

2 Likes

Run a I personally don’t believe in religion. My belief is in goodness. Spiritual is my belief I follow the golden rule “Do to others as you would want them to treat you.” Be honest and kind and loving to people. What is it you are searching for?

4 Likes

I know that my relationship with Jesus Christ is what has sustained me throughout my life. I’d thats what you’re seeking get into the Word of God. Look at several versions. And connect with a church for support and encouragement. Being with like minded people helps tremendously.
God is there for everyone who seeks Him and believes.
He has always been there for me. He saved me from so much turmoil in my life.
His ways are my ways. I strive each day to live a Christlike life. Does that mean I’m perfect? Does that mean my life is without turmoil at times? No. But what He does is sustain me through it all. He gives me. Peace that passes lol understanding. He is the only one true God.
He is the only God, who rose from the dead. His tomb was and is empty.
He loves you.

10 Likes

You know how they say “God works in mysterious ways”, well they weren’t kidding. Scary things that happened in this world even situation that we put ourselves in that seemed to deny all existence of God. but understand that when the sky is at its darkest that is when daylight shall break. Some of our greatest Pastor and Christians we’re not born into religious homes. some of them were junkies, strippers, prostitutes, ex-convicts, people who just weren’t fit to be in the church. But God never came for Perfect People he never wanted to save Perfect People. He came for the liar, for the thief, for their adulterers, the junkies, the strippers, amd the prostitutes. He came for those people. He came to save anyone who wanted to be saved. If you want to accept him as your savior you just have to believe. Ho to him on your own time, get on your knees and ask him to enter into your heart and save you from your sins and that you acknowledge Him as the Lord and Savior that he is amen.

7 Likes

We have to belie a that John 3:16 is true. Stand on his word, faith is a subalance of a mustard seed. If we can just have enough faith to believe than then shall our answers be. He said to call on him when we are weak an heavy burden. We must try right. I remember when I didnt know how to pray but in my heart I need a break through so in my weeping I just cryed out to Jesus an asked hi. To wrap me in his arms. I remembering wanting to die not to feel any more pain an I deeply didn’t I had children but I never thought I was good enough. I feel asleep crying am woke up crying. I just asked God to please let me rest under his wings an make me hole

4 Likes

Blessings to you. Remember it is about a relationship with our creator/god. Religion is a man made thing. So do we want to please men or our creator/god?

6 Likes

The statement “due to others as you want them to do to you” is actually a tenet of Christianity and a verse out of the Bible. Interesting, you don’t believe in religion and yet you quote it as what you live by.

5 Likes

The first thing I suggest is that you pray which means you ask God that He would help you. Just speak to him like you would a friend. You can easily say, “God help me understand and bring me someone to help me”. Then seek a church or friend who you can ask to help you. Find a Bible and start by reading the book of John. If you have trouble reading you can get audio versions. I will be praying for you.

5 Likes

I believe and cherish our Lord and Jesus Christ. I do not follow religion. My soul and body and mind belong to our creator. Spiritually is not a religion to me. Hugs

3 Likes

I would suggest looking for a church that you find friendly. Connect with the pastor or his wife and explain your situation to and ask for their help.

1 Like

YouVersion.Com has several different Bible translations to choose. Finding one there is easy. I would suggest the NLT version. It’s easy reading.

5 Likes

YouVersion that I posted about earlier have several versions that will read The Word to you NTL is one of them.

2 Likes

What you need is to pray and ask God to lead you to a church where you can get the help and support and learn what religion can do to help you. It’s not so much as religion as it is a relationship with God the Father.

3 Likes

Brina1977 I noticed the question about religion and understanding it is back on the topic and I had read all the comments put on your page one person is right about faith because that is one thing you do need as brought out at the Bible book of Hebrews 11 chapter verse 6, which states “Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please God well, for whoever approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him.” And the whole Chapter 11 explains all the men and women of Bible time put faith in Jehovah and their outcome so please read the Bible book of Hebrews chapter 11 and mediate on it first offer a prayer to Jehovah for his help to understand what you are reading. Jehovah is the author of the Bible and it was put here for us to understand with his help 2 Timothy 3:16 “All Scripture is inspired of God. 2 Peter 1:21, “Prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were moved by Holy Spirit.” So you see the important to turn to God’s word the Bible. I do not know where you are located but that really doesn’t make any difference Jehovah’s Witnesses go from house to house in over 235 lands helping people understand the Bible free of charge following what the Bible says at Matthews 24:14, “And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” Therefore if one knocks on your door invite them in and asked them about how you can find out about religion and they will take you to the Bible to help you find out it’s worth a try and you have nothing to lose but a lot to gain. LolaSweetPea

2 Likes

Brina, talk to God just like u would with a friend. He is always there waiting to hear from you. Both of my sons have mental issues n they r able to talk with God. God is my best friend. Ask him to help you not to hurt so bad n he will. We r created in God’s image so he knows all about our bodies n the hurt we have.

7 Likes

In Google Play or Apple store look for free bibles n find the one version u can understand. Then start reading it.

2 Likes

First of all religion is a word created by man to water down your type of faith. I am a Christian which is, that I believe that the Bible is the true word of God the one and only God and I can help you to understand The Bible if you would like?

4 Likes