I don’t know what to do

As a teenager with mental health issues I’ve had a rough couple of years. Today it’s really gotten to me that I purposely self Sabotage myself without knowing. I keep not taking my medication and I keep just staying in my room. Even though I know it’s making me worse I just cant control it. I need tips and ways to make this stop because it’s hurting more people than just me.

5 Likes

Get a friend take shrooms go on a hike, visit animal society and pet cute puppies and kittens, do you school work as quickly as possible just really quick get it done. Meditate then eat a big burrito. Going out is better than staying in your room. It just makes things worse and also take yo medicine!

4 Likes

You should be proud of yourself for putting how you feel out there- it’s important to let those closest to you be aware of your struggles.

I don’t know you, but I suggest you really talk to someone who can help put an emphasis on working towards feeling better- if just for today. If that means medication, therapy, forcing yourself to struggle through the clouds- you will. It can be hard and challenging, but you can and will get through it…

1 Like

One of the most important things that has helped me out of depressive states is having a social life. If you don’t feel you can get out and see friends, do you have online friends that you chat with regularly? You don’t have to suddenly pack up and go on a roadtrip tomorrow but start by setting yourself up outside your bedroom. Bring your computer/gaming systems/etc to the kitchen table or living room. It’s also important to sit up instead of lying in bed all day. It’s all about slow steps to picking yourself back up.

3 Likes

I’m in my 30s now, & I’ve had a bipolar diagnosis for about ten years with symptoms going back for about 20 years.

The main thing that helped me to make lasting changes has been developing and then committing to practices that help me explore skills and positive qualities, as well as manage my moods & behaviors. In the long term they have helped me reimagine & explore myself as someone who has a personality that’s larger than illness. They have also brought me into communities of people who are different from me and also care about my own self-development on my terms.

At the beginning, the bipolar label was helpful because it validated my symptoms & helped me separate them from my personality. Over time, I found that it had limits; it lacked tools to help me develop outside the binary of illness and neurotypical “health”.

So. My advice is to shop around for joyful practices with a certain amount of content or philosophy to help get your bearings in the world to guide your own growth. For me, this ended up being a calm & concentration based Buddhist meditation practice, to which I later added a yoga practice for physical pain management reasons. The meditation practice was free of charge, but accepted donations. For you, this might look different: there are Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, & Wicca contemplative & mindfulness practices. There are workshops to work on bicycles, writing groups, rock climbing groups, agricultural clubs, hiking groups, improv groups, and more. Pick a few things that you are curious about, and stick with at least one that has a community that you like & want to be like. Don’t be afraid to be “bad” at something. It is okay to be a beginner and have work to do. That is the idea. There are so many things in the world, and so many kinds of people. For me, the world felt very small and narrow in high school. There is a place of joy and ease for you somewhere, and very likely many places. Reach past resignation & adequate management for something potentially interesting to you, and the adequate management may well fall into place.

Do keep trying to take your medication. Self-care is not all chocolate and bubble baths; it’s mostly not those things. It’s brushing your teeth when you don’t want to and exploring reasons that you don’t want to take the meds, reasons other than thinking you’re a bad person who doesn’t want to get better. Do they hurt your stomach, give you dry mouth, or make you dizzy? Do the pills get stuck in your throat? Work on solving those problems. Maybe it’s not the right cocktail for you right now. Psychiatry is art as well as science. Give your doc(s) as much feedback as you can to help make adjustments. If they don’t listen, tell them that you don’t think they’re hearing you, and if the issue persists, look for someone else.

The wonderful thing is that you’re young. It is extremely likely that you have time and space to gradually act, choose, and become different. You’re reaching out here for help from peers as well as help from doctors. You will not be a teenager forever, and it is difficult. Much of your time may be filled with tasks that others have selected for you. The world right now is challenging to participate in, for everyone.

My best & warmest wishes for you, now & later.

1 Like

Hi I’m Rosie
Please go take a yoga class. Go to church talk to a Minister a Prist don’t fight this by yourself. GOD IS GREAT. YOU COULD DO THIS LIFE IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I HAVE A SPECIAL NEED CHILD SHE IS 46 YEARS OLD. SHE IS MY LIFE. WE JUST GOT BACK FROM THE HOSPITAL SHE HAD SURGERY AND EVERYTHING WENT GREAT. BECAUSE GOD IS SO GREAT this is in RECOVERY after Surgery LOOK HOW HAPPY MY GIRL IS. SHE HAS CELEBRA PALSY. SHE’S BEEN TRU SO MUCH. BUT TKGOD NOTHIN BRINGS HER DOWN

1 Like