I am pacemaker dependent

I have a pacemaker since 2015. I had to have it replaced this year due to an infection where it was located. I was hospitalized for a few weeks and now i receive care in a private assisted living. I also take medications for hypertension. With a proper diet I am in control. I have other medical issues too.

Just got mine in July, this year. So far so good - no problems to speak of except I don’t want to HAVE to have it.

Hello I have AFIB which is fancy for a irregular heart rate. It was so bad in 2010 that I kept passing out. I spent the night in ICCU.
After all this testing in 2011i received an internal loop recorder. This helped my doctor keep track of what my heart was doing. This helped with how it needed to be treated.
September 11 I had the loop recorder removed. I now take 2 blood pressure medications. One in the morning and the other in the evening.
Also since I feel the irregular beats I take a as needed medication. There was a spell wher I had not needed it. But I have taken it during the night for the last 3 days. But see my doctor Wednesday so hopefully it will be nothing to worry about.
I hope you are doing good. Maybe we can help each other with our health problems.

2 Likes

Currently I am taking two blood pressure medications too morning and evening. For me when take my blood pressure it ranges around 149/90 which has been considered normal for me. I also have a monitor next to my bed in case I get an episode, my doctor can read it from any where. So far I am doing okay, but I have felt a couple of times accelerated heart beet. I hope you are doing better.

1 Like

Glad you are keeping your blood pressure at levels regular to you. Mine are all over the place. Yesterday when I got out of bed mine was 144/82 this morning was 114/72. Just can’t get them to do a regular or normal range.
Not only that my AFIB has woke me up 3 days in a row. I usually do not have it that often. When it does that I take my as needed med.
I see my doctor Wed so not sure what will happen then. I just got the loop recorder out. I pray I don’t need another one or something else.
When I have these spells I am very tired. So I took a nap today. Now I feel better.
Do you have AFIB? Or something else.

1 Like

I got mine in 2010. I was having episodes where my heart rate would suddenly increase to 120-150. They put a Holter monitor on me for a couple of days. When I dropped it off, they said they would read it and be in touch in a few days. The next morning they called and said my heart was stopping for up to 6 seconds at a time, and that I was getting a pacemaker that day. After an AV Ablation a couple years later, have had no more problems. I am due for a replacement in about 6 years because of battery life.

I have a pacemaker/ defibulator. This is my 3 rd year with the device.

1 Like

I was recently notified by my cardiologist that I need a pacemaker. I’m very nervous about having this. I was diagnosed with Bradycardia about 7 years ago but was told that this was probably because I was fairly active. I’ve lived a pretty healthy lifestyle. I exercise 4 to 5 times a week. I meet with my cardiologist tomorrow to discuss the pending pacemaker situation.

1 Like

Having the pacemaker can be a blessing. Before I got it, I was not able to walk far and was always out of breath. Continue to take care of yourself, your exercise routine and eating healthy and you will notice a big difference. I am also going on my 3rd year with the device…

1 Like

I have multiple heart issues. A-FIB. CHF. Heart murmur, angina as well as a left bundle branch block. I have had 2 cardiac ablation. My A-FIB seems to be under control. However I don’t understand how they work. Can someone please explain the difference?

1 Like

I received my dual chamber pacemaker Nov of 2015. Was re hospitalized 2 times from the wires irritating the lining of my heart. I have congestive heart failure. Was diagnosed in April of 2015 with 10% injection fraction. Now have 30% injection fraction. Keep your head up.

1 Like

LourieL the AFIB causes your heart to beat irregular. This causes your heart to not be able to pump as well. Therefore oxygen is not pumped through out your body as well.
This can make you very tired. So getting 8 to 9 hours of sleep is important.
I do not have any CHF so can not tell you much except exercising, a healthy diet, and taking your meds is important.

I too have a dual chamber pacemaker. At 68 I thought I was too young to ever need a pacemaker. Following a back surgery going through home rehab I began to have short episodes of weakness and shortness of breath during physical therapy (PT). These episodes became more frequent until I had to drop out of rehab My blood pressure was also getting lower. I went in to see my primary doctor. He said it was either my heart or my lungs. The next day I had a medication stress test called a Cardiolyte where they give you medication to stress your heart while they are taking EKG strips watching for abnormalities on the EKG. As they gave me the med I became very short of breath and the nurse yelled for the cardiologist as I had gone into 2nd degree heart block with only a heart rate of 35 beats per minutes. This lasted about 4 minutes. The next thing I knew the cardiologist was telling me I needed a pacemaker which was done the next morning. Very scary and very upsetting to go though but also very greatful they found the problem before it went it went into complete heart block. I’ve now adjusted to the Pacer and am glad to have it.