I am a Seventh-Day Adventist Christian

Tom, I also served, 25 yrs for me. When my wife and I attended a Revelation Seminar it became much more clear to me. I experienced many faiths including some pagan ones, before becoming an Adventist. The Commandments, as you pointed out, are not advice to us but directives for us to follow. They are also keys for a happy and healthy life.
God is our Creator and as such He knows what is best for you, me and all people on the Earth. And if humanity would have followed His direction and guidance we wouldn’t be in the state we are in today.

3 Likes

Chaplain Wade, what branch did you serve in? I was Air Force. I joined the SDA Church as a Senior NCO going through Officer Training. Navy Chaplain Barry Black helped me through some difficult times as a 2nd and 1st Lt. After that, the Lord let me know that He could handle any situation as long as I trusted Him. All I can say now is, “God is Good.”

3 Likes

I was in the Army.

1 Like

🙏✝️ thank you for the explanation

1 Like

I am a Southern Baptist & my Dad was a So. Baptist pastor for many yrs. He preached from the KJB Bible & we believer in the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit (I still do & always will). My problem w/the SDJ is that I find nowhere in the Bible where it says that the Sabbath was on Saturday or that we should worship on Sunday. I think that is something that we as humans have come up w/& that it really could have been ANY day of the week. All the Bible say is that He was crucified & on the 3rd day He arose. NOWHERE does it say it what day He was crucified…in fact, I can’t find where they had the days of the week as we know them, when Christ was alive, so I don’t know how they/we know what day He was crucified & what the actual day was that He arose…….all we know is that He rose on the 3rd day. Nowhere does it say He rose on Sunday. That is a manmade assumption. It seems to me that the SDJ are saying that because other religions don’t worship on Sat., we are sinning, as the apostle James puts it this way: “For whosoever shall keep the WHOLE LAW, and yet offend in one point” – such as the point of the Sabbath – “he is guilty of all” James 2:10. To me that is condemning everyone to hell & God is the only One that can do THAT. All I know is what my Dad has always said…….“It’s NOT the sign over the DOOR, but what’s in your heart that will get you to Heaven.” Jesus is the ONLY WAY to get to Heaven…….not what day you attend church…….just as long as you’re ABLE to meet w/like minded believers to worship the LORD.

hh hhh

3 Likes

The Sabbath from the very beginning was the 7th day. When the story is told of Jesus’ crucifixion he was being brought down from the cross before the Sabbath started. That is Friday night at sundown. Anyone who was still alive at that time would have their legs broken so that they can’t flee. When they got to Jesus the guards were told that He was dead. So a guard took a spear aand pushed it between His ribs. There was no reaction from Jesus so they knew He was dead.
Then there was a rush to get Him buried before the Sabbath as was Jewish tradition. He was placed in the tomb but even Jesus wouldn’t violate the Sabbath in death, he never did in life either but that’s a whole different can of worms.
So, Jesus rose from the dead on the first day of the week. That could have been what we call Saturday night until noon.
We know all of this as it is written in the Bible. We also know that the Sabbath of today is the same as the Sabbath of Jesus’ day. Ask a practicing Jew. They keep the same Sabbath that I do and they have been for 6,000+ yrs.
I hope that this helps with understanding of this small piece.

2 Likes

BTW, I was raised Southern Baptist, my grandfather was a very well known Southern Baptist preacher in the Southwest from the '40s - '60s. I am sure that if he wouldn’t have died before his fiftieth birthday every Baptist in the world would know his name.

1 Like

I like Chaplain Wade’s response and here is my response. Please accept my response as a means of clarification and not as an argument, debate, or criticism. I was pleased when you stated that your father preached from the King James Bible because that is what I use each day.
My father and both of my grandfathers (all Baptist ministers (Pastors) also used the King James Bible. I believe that the Bible is the Word of God and I hope to provide you clear guidance from His Word. If, after you finish reading my response, you still have doubt about it, then your doubt is with the Word of God and not me nor any Seventh-day Adventist.
Please read Mark 16:2 about the “first day of the week.” Then Mark 16:9 where Jesus was risen early on the First Day of the Week.
Then carefully read Luke23:53-56 where Jesus’ body was laid in the sepulcher on Friday as the Sabbath drew on. (It’s now called Good Friday) Then, they rested on the Sabbath according to the Commandment and return early the next day, the First Day of the Week.
Exodus 20:8-11 (the 4th Commandment) clearly states that the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God.
Luke 6:5 says that the Son of Man (Jesus) is Lord also of the Sabbath. Also see Matthew 12:8 and Mark 2:28.
Revelation 1:10 mentions the Lord’s Day so He has ONE specific day. He has already chosen it and we don’t get to reselect it for Him at our whim.
So, if we want to be Christians and follow Jesus, let’s follow His example.
What day did Jesus consider the Sabbath? Read Luke 4:16, “And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read.”
Read verses 17-21 as well for more clarity.
Please know that Keeping the Sabbath will NOT save you. However, we keep the Sabbath Holy because we are saved by the Blood of Jesus and as it says in John14:15, “If you love me, keep my commandments.”
Only YOU can decide if you love Jesus enough to follow Him.
May God continue to bless you while you make your eternal life decisions.

3 Likes

I guess what I’m trying to say is not so much about the day of the week we worship, but my mind keeps saying when God created the Heavens & the earth, He didn’t have a Sun. to Sat. calendar, as far as I know…but I’m not God. He just had a 7 day time frame that He set in motion for man to follow. I found this definition when I googled “Sabbath”, but I still feel that whenever ppl meet together as the Bible says in Matt. 18:20 God is w/them. Of course there is to be 1 day of rest on the 7th day whether it be Sat. or Sun. God is w/them. I pray we will all meet one day when we get to Heaven & will be rejoicing forever around God’s throne for eternity.

3 Likes

Hey thank you for that explanation I had never been able to have someone explain quite the way you just did.

3 Likes

Hello if you are anywhere near Philadelphia, Pa. and would like a home visit a short or longer one that would be upto you even the number of people and we can take the word of God to you. I would love to do that for you. Look me up on FB and let me know.

4 Likes

Thank you both for your service

2 Likes

Amen and God Bless you

2 Likes

I suggest you read the Book of Mark, the Book of John. Blessings from Phoenix AZ suburb called Gilbert.

3 Likes

There are study Bibles that might be helpful. Where do you live?

I found this bible n some of my mom’s thing’s & the regular bible that goes along with it. I also found my grandfather’s old bible. I will look up all of the passages mentioned & if I need help I can see I have very knowledgeable people I can get help from. Thank you.🙂

2 Likes

Is there a better Study Bible I should be using or would be easier for me to understand

There are 450 English translation study Bibles. There are some that are good and some that aren’t. As we are directed by God in the Bible, we must test everything that we are told against His Word, not against any sayings of man or woman. How is this possible with so many different translations? Well, the very best English translation is agreed to be the King James Version. That translation was take directly from the Aramaic and Greek writings. So, if you don’t speak those languages then the next best thing is the KJV. But that version is can be tough to understand also. Study Bibles are supposed to help with understanding the tough to read verses but when all that a study does is direct you to other verses that might not be very helpful to a new reader. That is when you need a better study Bible, one written with notes and clarification from someone you trust. If you feel comfortable with a specific Pastor or Preacher you can look for a Study Bible written by them but make sure that it has “commentary”. That means it will have studies written by that person.

@TomW Read the first page of your King James Bible. No, not Genesis 1:1, I mean the title page. See where it says “Newly translated out of the original tongues”? the original text of the Bible was Hebrew. So this is not the original text, the original “Word of God” if you so believe, but a translation made by mortals. And if you seriously look into discussions of the Bible text and its translations, you will find that of the known ancient texts of the Bible, probably no two are identical in all respects. There are errors, variations, and whole chunks inserted later, like in the fifth or sixth century, by commentators who thought they were doing the right thing. In fact, comparing these ancient documents, there are more differences between them than there are words in the entire Bible.

You can clearly see that the week (look at the calendar) starts on Sunday, making the 7th day on Saturday. Many different languages also call their Saturday’s sabbat, or sabbado which is a form of sabbath.
So if you count the days correctly you can figure out what day everything has happened. Ie: Thursday, Lords supper, Friday,
crucified, Saturday he died and rested in the grave, Sunday was His resurrection !
A good book to read is steps to Christ, will help to make things clear. God is good all the time! I am a SDA deaconess. God bless and good luck