How to help 17 yr granddaughter

What are my challenges for dealing with a 17-year-old granddaughter with diagnosis of mental illness, medicated and is currently living with my wife and I, needing help with driving, education and basically getting on track with her life.

2 Likes

Contact your local NAMI organization. They will help put you in contact with others who can help

8 Likes

If this fits, you could also try DBSA. Would be a good resource for a mood disorder for both you and her. Her therapist may also know of local organizations for teens where she could learn to navigate the world with a mental illness but also connect with other teens learning to live with mental illness.

2 Likes

Depending on where you live The Mental Health Association is a terrific resource. But you might also need support so look for a chapter of the Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health who can also support you.

1 Like

I think a lot of it depends on if she is stable on,meds. I have a mental illness for 30 years and for the last 15 have been stable on meds and can drive…I went to school college when I was younger and was ok. Didn’t go to nammi or any mental health groups and I only had a friend. My parents didn’t even care for me though they lived in the same town.
.so if she has you and is stable she can go far but if not get her on the RIGHT meds and then try and work with her or none of it will work. Speaking from 30 years of schizo affective bipolar one diagnosis…

1 Like

I have a 15 year old bipolar one son. He was diagnosed at 7 and medications have been a roller coaster. He has had Services since his diagnosis and have been invaluable for him to learn how to function in society. I don’t know what I would have done without them they also taught me how to raise a bipolar child. These organizations that are listed above are wonderful. If you don’t have to go through something alone you don’t need to.

1 Like

NAMI family to family course and for them, the peer to peer group.

1 Like