Hope to help

I’ve seen several posts on here about getting a pain pump, or not getting a pump. I’ve had my IPP since October 2016, and I must admit, it was one of my best decisions! From 2007 to 2014 I used oral pain meds. It only thing it got me was a dark cloud over my head. I NEVER felt better using oral medication. Once I weaned down and got my pump, I became more active. Starting walking, exercising, and just felt better. No, it doesn’t take the pain away, but I feel better. I had 9 surgeries to date and I’m willing to share my story with those who are interested.

15 Likes

We are glad you are willing to share your thoughts. On your expensive.

4 Likes

I am so glad you found something that helps. Hope it continues to work for a long time.

8 Likes

What med in your pump?

3 Likes

It’s Dilaudid. The only thing that really works. I tried the Bupivicaine in it and had to had it taken out only after 4 days. Too many side effects.

6 Likes

I’ve found most people on the pump find Dilaudid to be the best analgesic it doesn’t last long but if timed correctly and especially when it’s through the means of a pump it goes into you’re system quicker and I’d usually released with higher frequency I know of 5 people who moved over from morphine sulfate to Dilaudid

4 Likes

It’s the only thing that I’ve had in my pump. And you are right, when I was taking it orally it didn’t last long. But now, since the pump runs 24/7, it does what it can. I appreciate your input.

3 Likes

How do you get this pump. Can you explain. I am a person with daily chronic pain supposedly from rheumatoid arthritis.

2 Likes

Good morning ps. It’s done through Pain Management. If not already in a program, see if you can find a good PMR and talk about what’s going on with you. If you are taking a lot of opioids orally, you would be a great candidate for the pump. It’s done as “out patient” surgery, so it’s quick. Insurance can sometimes be a pain, but if you have a long history, your chance is greater. I hope this answers your question. If not, PLEASE let me know and I’ll try to explain further. Good luck!!!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing!

Dilaudid as a post-op pain reliever:

When I had my THR (Total Hip Replacement) in 2004, they gave me IV MS (Morphine Sulfate) as a pain reliever in my Pump and all it gave me was an intractable Headache and no relief from post-op pain; and believe me it hurts like hell to get the top 5 inches of your femur cut off.

After 4 days, I asked for something else, such was my post-op misery. I am a radiologist, so I asked specifically for Dilaudid in my IV pump. My HA instantly disappeared, and my post-op pain improved dramatically!

This may not work for all, but everyone take note of my anecdotal experience, and remember to ask for other options, if your treatment isn’t working!

3 Likes

You’re very welcome. 🙏

I totally agree with you. Not all medications work the same for everyone. I could not take the “oxy” family of pain killers due to side effects, so I’ve mostly been on the “hydro” side. BIIIIGGGGGG difference for me.

1 Like

I’m sorry I’m not understanding, is this the implant of wires they can put in to stop pain so you don’t have to use all the pills? I’m thinking of doing it. I’ve been asked if I want to so I’m definitely interested.

Sorry I see. It’s A pain med pump.

Yes, I actually have two implants. One is an IPP and the other is a Spinal Stimulator. Both work in different ways to help me. Not always the best, but they help. The pump is the biggest thing that helps. I go in on Monday to get it refilled. Not painful at all, considering you get a big ole needle in you tummy. 😂😂 Seriously, it really has been helpful. And if there’s any questions that you may have, please don’t hesitate to ask.

1 Like

I received a Spinal Cord Stimulator back in May, best decision I ever made. Helps SO much with my pain control. Plus I don’t have to take oral pain medication anymore.

2 Likes

That’s great news. My Stimulator has never helped me as much as my pump has, but I can certainly tell a difference with it. Good luck to you as you travel this journey. As we all know, it can be tough at times. 😊

1 Like

Thank you for the info and the shot in the tummy doesn’t sound nice no matter what 🤣😂🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

I’m going to find out this coming Monday…I had a mediport opposite my heart and it wall the exact size of the end of a stethoscope, under the skin with wires. Everytime my 2 year old at the time even leaned on my chest it felt like something sticking in me. And hurt most times. I want pain relief with no opioids and the only way I’m getting even close to that is this wire pain stopper thingy. 🤪🤣I’m willing to try anything before I have to have another back surgery. But I hear the wireless one doesn’t work as well as the one that has the battery implanted under the skin, on your lower back on the side. Good Lawd no! Its gonna have to be like God SENT a microscopic angel to work its miracles up and down my entire spine because I have a hard enough time trying to go to sleep let alone laying their feeling more foreign object under my skin.😱 I just hate that kind of thing but against my normal judgement I think I am going to try the wireless one. And I don’t like the feel of a tens machine because on top of a L3 - L5 and the next part disc fusion my back muscles are atrophied so it makes my muscles spasm more. So I just have no idea how this is going to make me feel. Anybody have these or any wire pain implants that are battery operated. No pain med pumps. Just keep on keeping on.😊

1 Like