Here is a weird story

Got diagnosed with diabetes a month ago. Got meds, checks sugar eats right. I lost weight and feeling good.
Cane home to a pot of chili my husband made. I asked him if there was any sugar in it and he answered No. The next day he asked me what my blood sugar reading was in the morning. I said 120, he replies…its not the sugar. I said what does that mean? He proceeds to tell me that he put brown sugar and molasses in the chili…and see, it must be the starches not the sugar! I said…is this some kind of test? And why did he lie to me about sugar being in the chili. His answer was that I would have not eaten it if I had known.
I mean what was the point?? I was furious that he was using me as some kind of lab rat and he thought he was smarter than my doctor. I need opinions. Like how many ways of messed up is this? I can’t wrap my head around it.

Dismayed Wife in Ohio

5 Likes

That is messed up…in dieting its called sabotaging…
They try to make you not do what your trying to accomplish…don’t eat his food if he’s going to lie to you!

4 Likes

He is trying to talk his way out of it now. Sigh…men.( Not all men :)

1 Like

I agree with you. There are 90 words used for ingredients added as a sugar into food. There are many other things to reduce also, those should be discussed, not the ‘90 different sugars’ Good Luck teaching within your family!

1 Like

Well my doctor wants to take of some meds and make the ones I’m on stronger but thata not working either so this what I’m on for 2000mg of metformin januvia 100mg and my sugar went from being great to high again so I have so much to deal with to …but they took me off glipizide 10mg

1 Like

Dismayed wife in Ohio,

Sometimes I feel the same way, even though I haven’t been diagnosed with a diabetic condition. Ask questions, and try to get answers. I would also ask those questions with a Nurse present, just so you don’t get a medical brush off; like “I’m the Doctor, here is a bunch of words that you don’t understand; I know what I am doing; get out of my office attitude!”

Sincerely,
Brian

1 Like

sorry to hear that he did that to you it’s not just regular sugar pasta turns into sugar that’s why we cannot add sugar syrup malescus regular sugar brown sugar it all raises the sugar level he need to be educated he need to go to a diabetic class with you and you need to tell them exactly what he did so they can explain to him how dangerous that is especially syrup and molasses it could have Rancher sugar up Sky High you really need to explain to him how important it is for you not to take too much sugar in or starch starch turns into sugar even some of the vegetables have starch in it grapes are very bad for us apples there is some fruit that’s low in sugar and you can eat it but you cannot eat the fruit that’s high in sugar get to a class fast with him tell him you can go into a diabetic coma sorry that he would play with you like that I don’t think you really know how serious diabetics this close to being your husband he should not want to take that chance of losing you

1 Like

I would not eat his food for a while I would be scared too most people know about diabetics and he put brown sugar and molasses that’s bad

2 Likes

I’m also on Junuvia and metformin. Most days my sugars run in the teens but for no reason this morni,g it was 154…I went to a diabetic class twice…I still eat some sweets…I don’t take it as seriously as I should…my eyes have been bothering me and I was going to have surgery to see better but at the last moment I said no…so I’ve been thinking about going blind…I hope this makes me take my diet more seriously…I don’t eat much…I normally don’t eat breakfast or lunch and eat some random thing non sweet for dinner…its like I’m fasting all day till dinner. And I know all about snacks etc. I just have no appetite…well anyway keep up the good work…your doing great to watch your sugars so well…😀

1 Like

120 is not a bad AM reading. I use sugar and cream in my coffee, I snack on cheese or nuts before bedtime, I use 15 units of Lantus at bedtime and my AM readings are between 73 and 120 with the average being 88. The protein in the chili most likely offset any sugars added. Just remember that you must balance your fats, proteins, and carbs.

1 Like

Please eat three meals a day skipping meals will only increase your readings as a dietitian and said eat like a king for breakfast a prince for lunch and a popper for dinner just figure out what go to go to go to a class and learn what your numbers are what you can eat it is a lot better for you to eat three times a day and help you lose weight and also help you better control your diabetes

1 Like

It’s good of you to reply to the writer. But what about your actions? As a diabetic myself, I am puzzled why you skip meals? That’s dangerous. Get to a nutritionist and do better.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Does anyone have a recipe for using cauliflower in a soup?