Gabapentin

Yes it became a controlled drug about a year ago in Virginia.

1 Like

Not in Texas. I have both Gabapentin and Lyrica. Pharmacy says it’s not a controlled substance here

2 Likes

No, not in Hawaii.

No, but it does require an Rx. And label says it may be abused by some, tho I find that mostly it makes me drowsy. If so, take largest dose before bedtime and smaller doses during the day.

Eg. I take 100, 100 and then 300mg at bedtime (fairly mild doses, but you must keep blood levels up during the day to be effective.

1 Like

I see that in a handful of states it is. Utterly ridiculous IMHO! And yes I am new to the community as well as an MD. By my handle, I think you can see what my specialty is.

1 Like

Actually Schedule 2, or II if you will, not Class 2, but your point is well taken and very helpful.

Isn’t it funny that the federal government classifies marijuana as a schedule one narcotic!

3 Likes

I’m in Missouri & I take 800mg 4 times a day for neuropathy. Very high dose…

You’re right I feel silly I was in nursing for 20 years but have trouble now trying to think of the right words I’m trying to say since the ER accidentally found something in my brain I’m glad that you clarified it for everyone thank you 🙂

1 Like

Marijuana is the best drug there is it takes care of every symptom and diagnoses I have 🌿😁🙃

2 Likes

👍👍👍👍👍

1 Like

Agreed. Flower Power!

I’m in CA and it’s recreationally legal now, but unfortunately for me it tends to make my LBP feel worse & me a little paranoid. Probably need a different “flavor “!

1 Like

Some people need 400 mg qid, some need even more. There’s really no upper limit that I know of!The important thing is consistent therapeutic blood levels.

1 Like

Which of course you already know, since you are a nurse! 😎

1 Like

I take two 300mg in the morning and two more n the evening, but find that I sometimes need an additional one throughout the day for the nerve pain. Hopefully the bill will pass to reduce marijuana from a schedule I to a schedule III. Then it can be researched further and prescribed under federal law. I’m in Texas so if it’s left up to the states for legalization I’m sure it will remain illegal. I have peripheral neuropathy and refractory epilepsy. Medical marijuana may be the answer, but it may continue to be impossible to know.

2 Likes

It is in wi

I don’t disagree with anything you have said. In fact I agree with everything you just stated. The federal government has untenable, outdated and ridiculous policies with regards to the “bud” and only God knows why!

I don’t even have a dog 🐶 in this fight. I don’t use it. I am in no way involved in the monetary side of it, and it doesn’t help me. But as a physician, I understand that others are helped immeasurably by THC as well as CBD and that’s good enough for me! Cancer patients, chronic pain pts. and even those with refractory vertigo! Governmental positions are totally inexplicable and unexplainable and, as Spock 🖖 would say, “Illogical”. Let’s hope the US government and the TX legislature gets its act together sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

TomTom I should also mention that I have peripheral neuropathy in my lower extremities and that gabapentin seems to be helpful in this regard, no matter the exact subtype or cause, such as diabetic, alcoholic, metabolic, etc. Individual dosing varies widely, so see your Dr. to titrate your dose optimally.

Also, I do not have a seizure disorder, however I am aware that MJ is effective in this category.

GW Pharma, or GWPH, a large British pharmaceutical Co., is leading the charge and is listed on the NYSE. (No, I have no financial interest in the Company, ie. I do not own the stock.) They are not under FDA or US Government control.

2 Likes

Not a controlled substance here and I can’t say enough good things about it. I started taking it for anxiety and depression and for my PTSD, but after just one dose at bedtime, I woke up in the morning and found for the first time I could get out of bed without being in excruciating pain. (This was about a year after my spinal surgery.) So, you can see why I have such a high opinion of this medication. And it has truly helped my anxiety as well.

1 Like

Yes it is really ridiculous. doctors want you to take all these pain pills but they say marijuana isn’t good for you. I would rather smoke marijuana are use the CBD oil then take all kinds of pain pills

And I remind you that CBD oil does NOT have THC in it, the active ingredient in MJ that gets you high! Also , no Rx required.

I don’t know if it works or not, as I have never even tried CBD oil. It is, however, being heavily pushed now, even with free samples, tho whether it’s “snake oil” or not, only time will tell. Many anecdotal stories out there right now, all “good “.

Not saying it doesn’t work.
I might even try it for my chronic pain, cuz I don’t see any downside that I know of, and Chronic Pain is a Bitch!

What I’m saying is Yes, it’s probably worth a shot! If you feel like you are out of answers, it’s possibly worth a try!

In Summary: No Rx needed. No known downside. Chronic pain whatever the etiology w/o answers. As an MD, I don’t see a downside.

1 Like