Gabapentin vs Lyrica

So I’ve been on Lyrica for years. I sang the praises of this miracle drug. I had suffered a massive attack on my body in 2012. Nothing relieved the pain. I was on morphine around the clock with Mobic, steroids, Motrin and OxyContin. I left the hospital with loads of medication just to function.

I was introduced to Gabapentin one day while visiting a new doctor. He touched my back with the stethoscope and pressed down. I jumped up off of the table. I was referred to a Rheumatologist. In between the visits, I began to jerk really hard to the point where it affected my driving and walking. I was switched to Lyrica immediately. I finally felt relief somewhat. I was able to function a bit better. Over the years, I’ve gain lots of weight. I didn’t really equate Lyrica to the weight gained until I wasn’t able to get a prescription, I dropped 30 pounds in no time. I have since gone back to Gabapentin. I don’t get the relief that I was getting from Lyrica. I’m not gaining but my pain relief is subpar. What do you do???

4 Likes

I wish I knew!!! I have gained almost 100 pounds by being on Lyrica for 5 years, but it’s the only thing that stops my nerve pain. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place because if I go without it I lose weight but I’m in pain, but when I take it I gain weight, but don’t have the nerve pain.

I recently went to a Rheumatologist and was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. My doctor is fighting to get me pre-approved for Enbrel, but it’s been a slow process. I hope that once the inflammation in my body goes down that the nerve pain will go away and I can stop taking Lyrica.

4 Likes

Hi I took Lyica and I gained a lot of weight. I believe I am able to get around as good as I do because of my taking Gabepentin, and I am on a high dose (1200mg, 3x a day)
I do have several unseen illnesses.
I am trying to lose weight but can’t seem to get very far 😣.
I wish you the best and keep all who use this app.

3 Likes

I wish that they would formulate Lyrica so that we wouldn’t gain. It’s a wonderful drug for the pain as you stated.

3 Likes

I’m on 400 mg 3/day. It wears off quicker than Lyrica to me. I’m less mobile and that’s not good. I pray that we all receive the relief that we so need!!!

2 Likes

Ur heath is what is most important

3 Likes

I’m also actually allergic to Gabapentin but can take Lyrica, so it’s one of my only options for pain.

2 Likes

Lyrics put the pounds on me too. I’m 4’11” and weighed 236 lbs. I had gastric surgery (not sure of the spelling but it’s pronounced ‘Ru-n-y” just say the letters, that’s the name of the surgery. I dropped 136 lbs. in 9 months. I had been almost Bedfast for 2 yrs things were so bad. (Someday I’ll make a list of everything the doctors say I have, then you can wonder why I’m still alive. ❤️😂😂 I don’t recommend the surgery if there is any alternative. It’s very dangerous and several people have died from having it done. It can cause a lot of problems but for me it was the. only way. That was 19 &1/2 years ago and I stay about 100-105 lbs. now.
Whatever you decide to do , get all the information about it you can. What happens short term and especially long term. The bad effects and the good ones. Don’t regret-your choice later. May your Creator Bless you and give you strength.

4 Likes

I’m not on lyrics, but I other drugs, so I know what you are going through and I feel for you always. God didn’t create us to be crippled with drugs and alcohol and all the challenges and struggles and the issues we have to contend with. That’s why he sit Jesus Christ to the Earth to give us another chance of a better life.
We exist because of God’s grace and mercy and Jesus Christ 🙏, we as humitity and have to life instead of death.

3 Likes

They have 2 other meds, are you allergic to
Cymbalta, or Salvila(sp) those at also choices. Ask your Dr about them.

2 Likes

I’m already taking Cymbalta as well as the Lyrica. Not sure if I’ve ever tried the other one you’re talking about? I feel like I’ve been one big drug experiment over the last 5 years trying to figure out what the true cause of my pain and fatigue really are, I’m pretty sure I’ve tried over 100 different meds…that almost all have not worked. Lyrica has been my life saver from the beginning. It was one of the first meds I tried for the nerve pain and it worked. I did have to battle my insurance for a bit to be able to get it covered. But an allergic reaction to the Gabapentin gave my insurance company no other option than to pay for it. I’m just glad its generic now so the copay isn’t so much anymore!

3 Likes

I hope you find a combo that works. Have you tried CBD oil I hear ppl have relief taking it.(But there again you have to find the right dosage for you) God Bless 🙏
Keep me/us updated on your findings.
I myself will never truly be 100%,out of pain but I can keep trying to get the pain down to a fictional level.

3 Likes

I have tried CBD and have had amazing results! I don’t think I’ll ever be completely free of pain either, but getting the level down definitely helps!!!

1 Like

I’ve also had RNY 7/10/17. I don’t regret it. I lost about 68 pounds then I started Keto last year on 1/9. I finally lost 103 pounds. I was off of Lyrica at the time. As soon as I went back on, heat we are. I gain almost back to my starting weight of 353. I’m currently working on it and have lost 26 pounds since the new year and since starting Gabapentin.

Amen! I totally agree!!!

Cymbalta caused me to become suicidal. I’ve never tried the other drug. Thank you. I will keep this in mind!!

I have fought with my insurance as well for years to keep Lyrica. It’s gonna be hard if I have to go back to Lyrica.

Belief is the way to the Lord Jesus Christ heart, if you believe ask him what you should do, know one needs to be in pain the way you are. Cry out to him he will
Answer your question, I know I do it all the time 🙏🙏🙌👏🤗 Hallelujah thank God for everything have endured. Amen

1 Like

But we’re not healthy when we’re over weight either. We have all this “wonderful” technology and they still can’t figure out how to treat the illnesses we have. Does anyone else wonder what Big Pharma is holding back on us?

2 Likes

True, but I have 2 questions when I get there: #1-why do we have sinuses that totally malfunction? I live in the Ohio Valley and have had Chronic Sinusitis for so long, I can’t remember. #2-why would any creator think it was better to give a bunch of dumb humans “free will”? Seriously, God knows everything, right? Well God must have known we were going to screw up. Wouldn’t it have been better if he made us just to be good? 😂😂😂

1 Like