Gabapentin/Neurontin and return of pain?

Greetings, all! I was very recently started on 100 mg of gabapentin three times a day. For the first 48 hours it seems like a miracle! Pain tremendously reduced, morning stiffness tremendously reduced. I was healed… LOL. Then within 72 hours after beginning on the gabapentin the pain started to creep back in and take over. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any thoughts about gabapentin? Some days I feel it’s almost if the gabapentin has even made it worse

4 Likes

Diffirent medication work for people.I personally have no issues with that delrug

1 Like

Drug.

I actually happen to be allergic to both nerve meds Lyrica and Gabapentin. They work fine, but within 48 hours of starting either I get a serious rash on my arms and abdomen. So, I am stuck taking opioids for pain relief and I have no idea whether or not the meds would work long term or not.

2 Likes

That is a low dose. I take 300 2x and 400 at night. When I first started it was touch and go. My best advice is to give it time. You may need to supplement some Magnesium at night. Magnesium is a vitiam for Bone and MUSCLE Health. They also have one with a sleep aid that I take 2 help. Also you could take Naporoxen.
Best wishes!!! 💜💜💜

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your response! This was helpful

1 Like

Thank you for your input. That was helpful.

I was on Neurontin for years and will not take it again. You need your blood tested every 3 months for liver problems. I now have NAS which is non alcoholic sclerosis of the liver. No pills and no cure

1 Like

Your welcome

Hi some of you know me as Angel. I have been on gabapentin for a number of years started with a low dose. I am taking 1200 mg 3x a day and yes I have had a few days where I have questioned if it was working. I have been without it and that proved to me it is working and without it I would be in worse pain.
They are right in saying that any med will affect everyone different.
You might ask for the dose to be increased and see if that helps.
I did have a great Dr be honest with me and tell me I will never really be out of pain, due to my many ailments.
God Bless 🙏 please let me know if you get any relief and what helps you

1 Like

Thank you very much for that information! I appreciate your input

1 Like

I take 900 mg, 3 times a day. Helps tremendously. People ask does it work, my answer is simple 'take me off of Gabapentin and you will release the Tasmania devil, haha lol’👿👹

2 Likes

Lol. Good info

Thank you for that information!

Thank you very much for your reply.

Will That medication is the medication from 🤬
I was placed on 300mg because I’m fighting Lupus and Fibromyalgia so my pain was through the roof. Some days I just laid in the bed and cried because it was truly hard to get my pain under control. The rheumatologists I was seeing for care for whatever reason up my dose to 1800 mg which was way too high. Got behind the wheel of my truck and went to pick up my children from school this was an hour after taking that medication. When I arrived at the school I drove up on the crub then I got out of the truck leaving my door wide open, was confused and doing things I’ve never done before. My husband went with me for my next appointment and gave the Doctor a few choice words. I found a new Doctor who placed me on Lyrica which has worked for me the last 7 years. That other medication I refused after going through what I went through with Gabapentin 👀🤬

1 Like

Good luck 🤗 Give Lyrica a try. It takes a minute to get in your system but it works.

1 Like

I used to take gabapentin at a dose almost identical to yours, but about a month in it started making me lose my mind. Not like a crazy way, more like a ditzy, or childish way. I really thought I’d started dementia in my 30s. Found out its not a super uncommon reaction to gabapentin.

1 Like

Good grief! That would’ve scared me half to death! Thank God no one was hurt. Thanks very much for the heads up! Glad you are safe and sound. I will definitely keep that in mind in case there are any dosage changes. Right now, it seems I am on a pretty low dose . I will definitely be mindful of everything you said.

1 Like

Yes I was taking that for a while also. Same thing I thought, I stopped taking it , told the dr it made me feel worse, but my girlfriend takes it and helps her, must just be how it effects certain people