Flares

Hello. New here, but have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for about 4 years. My flares have been awful this year. Have had a lot of stress and weight gain which I’m sure have contributed. Two questions, first how does your diet contribute to or lessen your flares? Any advice in this area? And second, any suggestions to help with anxiety and irritability during your flares? Thanks so much for any suggestions/advice.

5 Likes

My anxiety was Soo bad that I had really bad panic attacks, to the point of going to the hospital. I used to be on a steep and rocky and EXTREME roller coaster ride that got worse as the day wore on. Even though I was on 2mg Ativan twice a day, it didn’t seem to really do the job and when I was awake, I would get worse the later it was in the day, and would have to take 2 pills just to calm down in the evening. I was VERY UPSET when my doctor who had been treating me Moved out of state and the one who took over for him REFUSED to prescribe me Ativan AT ALLand would not give anything else to replace it. WHEN I SAID I WOULDN’T ACCEPT thAt doctor’s opinion that I didn’t need it, I was sqeeed into the other doctor’s schedule. HE too, refused to prescribe me what I had been taking for SOO LONG and really depended on to even start dealing with my SEVERE anxiety, however, he was willing to replace it with Neurontin. About 10 years ago I was on it before I was switched to Lyrica. Since I had to go off of ithe Lyrica, I hadn’t had anything like it since. Although I was CONVINCED that nothing ELSE BUT Ativan WOULD help, I agreed to try it to see how I did. To my (happy) surprise, I am doing so much better!!! I got off the roller coaster and haven’t had a single panic attack in over a year. Overall, my anxiety has lessened immensely. Originally, I had been placed on Neurontin for the pain of my fibromyalgia, because it works on your nervous system and keeps your nerves from misfiring and sending false signals to the brain. Because I was on Medicare, Lyrica was covered by my insurance and so when it first came out and it was said to treat fibromyalgia, my doctor switched me from Neurontin to Lyrica. Medi-cal will not pay for it so when I lost Medicare, I had to go off it. I wish that I had been able to go back on the Neurontin then because I wouldn’t have gone through the terrible battle with anxiety that I did after that. I really recommend you ask your doctor about trying Neurontin. I don’t have ANY side effects from taking it like I did with the Lyrica, either! I had to take ANOTHER medicine to treat Restless Leg Syndrome that the Lyrica caused.
Also your diet DOES affect your symptoms of fibro. I notice that the more greasy or spicy
foods tend to upset my stomach and I feel more aching pain when I do. I try to limit the amount of both. Also, I was reading how others described they felt better when they cooked with Tumeric. Tumeric is what gives curry it’s distinct color, however unlike curry it adds no (nasty) flavor to the food, only the color. Turmeric helps reduce the amount of inflammation in your body. It was quite awhile before I actually tried it myself though. I can definitely tell the difference between when I have it and don’t!!! From what I have found, however, is that to actually absorb it and use³³ it in your body when you cook with it you must also used an oil (like olive or coconut oil) or black pepper. Since coconut is higher in Cholesterol, I try to use olive oil instead of corn or vegetable oil, and started using pepper to season with all the time. (Because too much pepper upsets my stomach I never used to use it at all. I still won’t add it to my food after it’s cooked, but I will add it while I cook the food.) By itself, olive oil is really beneficial to us too.

1 Like

Hi, I’ve had fibromyalgia for many years. I found out a couple years ago that I was sensitive to gluten. If I eat bread, I know I’m going to hurt worse the next day. I try not to use anything with aspertame also. I drink Diet Coke with Splenda. It has a yellow streak on the box and can. If you find out what makes you hurt and avoid those foods it will help a lot.

4 Likes

Thank you. I have just bought some turmeric in pill form, mixed with ginger and other ingredients. I will also talk to my doctor about other medication options that you have mentioned.
And I have noticed my diet really can make me feel awful. If I eat processed foods it seems to be worse.
Thanks again for all the good advice

2 Likes

My Fibro Flares have been awful the past few months as well. 3 months ago I found out my Daddy has lung cancer that has metastasized into his lymph nodes and spine. Then as a recovering anorexic I began to EAT MY FEELINGS so that combined with all of my psych meds I gained 30 lbs in 3 months. AMD my anxiety is through the roof. Even with Klonopin. So needless to say my flares are impossible to handle. I don’t know how to get through the day anymore. It hurts to lay in bed. It hurts to get up and move around. But tthhhhhe past few weeks I have been drinking a ton of water, walking everyday, not eating any sugar, watching my carbs, and getting back to my yoga (atleast 15 minutes) and meditation/prayer. Now my flares are easing up. I hope that helps.
xoxo 🌈✌🏼

1 Like