Fibromyalgia at 30

Hi my name is stacey boyko from Portland Oregon and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia recently I don’t know much about the condition but I am asking for advice and support I’m a little scared of it

1 Like

Sunshine, I was diagnosed two days ago…my doctor told me that my fibro is actually secondary to my chemical-imbalance depression. He said the key is to keep that under control first, otherwise any treatments for the fibro would be a waste. I had a feeling I had fibro for a few months now, and a friend that has it suggested that I try adding a turmeric supplement, along with upping my magnesium and vitamin d intake. I noticed it helped some. My doc confirmed that it was a good idea. Have your doc run bloodwork to check your vitamin d and iron levels…my doc said it could affect the pain levels too. He also prescribed said he could prescribe either gabapentin or Lyrica…he went with the gaba first since it’s generic. Finally he said the key is mind over matter. Think of it as a monster inside…don’t let the monster win! He said to keep moving…taking yoga, Pilates, or tai chi, then building up to walking and jogging (I used to be a runner, so he knows I want to move faster than a walk lol). I also read where CrossFit is really good because you get both the cardio benefits as well as the weights for conditioning.
Hope this helps…good luck!

2 Likes

Hey Stacey, I was diagnosed with Fibro in my mid 20s, I’m now 31. One of the most informative and helpful books I was gifted has been The Fibro Manual by Ginerva Lipton, M.D. Not only is she a doctor, but she is a doctor who actually has Fibromyalgia! In the book she talks about descriptions of different Fibro symptoms, explains in layman’s terms what and why certain symptoms may be happening, how to manage different symptoms, AND how talk to your doctor about Fibro (because a lot of doctors don’t believe that it is a real diagnosis). There is also a section specifically written for us, Fibro warriors, to show our doctors; providing research based info in medical terms and treatment suggestions.
There are sooo many symptoms of Fibro. I don’t know which ones you experience, but I swear by my heated blankets. I have a heated throw, a blanket (one meant for a bed) that i acutally use to lay/sit on wherever I’m spending time (on my recliner, couch, etc.), and a heated mattress pad. I also use supplements quite a bit. Tumeric is great for inflammation and can be used in food or just take in capsules. I have found that topical CBD creams (THC free ones, if that’s important to you) and DoTerra’s Deep Blue are also an amazing combination on pain areas. One thing that I have learned through the research that I have found, and is good to know about using CBD topically or orally is that it works best if you use it consistently because it will build up in your system and become more effective for pain. One of the biggest things that is the hardest to do (for me at least) and noticeably impacts the severity of symptoms is to get enough sleep.
I know what it’s like to be young, look healthy, but not feel healthy, to live in a body that feels twice it’s age. Fibromyalgia is an invisible illness. Listen to your body, be patient with yourself, and give yourself permission to rest.

1 Like

Hi. I have had fibromyalgia for almost 20 yrs. Trick is to find the combination of things that works for you. One thing is movement is your friend, you just have to find your own set point. The amount that helps you feel good without increasing your pain for more than an hr. Warm pool exercise is wonderful if you have that available. Yoga which helps stretch out tight muscles is usually pretty good. See if you can find a physical therapist who has experience with fibromyalgia. There are several good books along with online resources such as Fibromyalgia Network.

I have had fibro for probably what twenty years. I am fifty three but of course feel much older. 🙃I have learned what i can do and what i have to give up. My husband is great, he does the dishes and cooking. I won’t give up the laundry just because I’m stubborn and can’t lose everything!! I take gabapentin because if I didn’t, I would never move. I hate lyrica, the side affects are awful. Mostly, anyone who reads this, know that it is not your fault. Stand your ground with drs. I pray for more 🔬 and more options for our pain. It is so misunderstood. I started a devotional that said to let God give you a word, any word, to focus on for a year. Turns out, mine is strength! 🙃What I don’t have. We shall see after a year. Blessed day everyone!!

1 Like

Hi Stacey, Mid February will be 1 year since my diagnosis. Don’t fear it, understand it. I agree 1 book to start to see the full picture. The diagnosis is only your start. I had Fibromyalgia possibly years before 1 brave medical professional connected the dots for me. I was glad to find out.

1 Like