Fibro vs. Narcolepsy

Anyone else ever been told their Fibro might actually be Narcolepsy?

2 Likes

😳 No, but that’s an interesting turn… I’m fighting daytime drowsiness right now, was dx with Fibromyalgia in 2004. They told me in 2015 that I have Sleep Apnea, and put me on a C-Pap at night, which really helped. But this past year I have been having symptoms of sleep apnea, and trying to get something done. What has led your diagnostician to present that hypothesis? Sorry if this seems disjointed or poorly stated… I’m really sleepy at this time, I keep falling asleep while I’m driving…

1 Like

I have just found 6 that I have narcolepsy and I wonder if it has something to do with fibromyalgia as well

4 Likes

Not sure, but if your fibromyalgia is causing you to lose sleep, I can see the reasoning. Stay strong🐈

4 Likes

Actually, the new Neurologist thinks the narcolepsy, over a long time, has caused the body pain. He thinks resolving the sleep will help the body pain. It’ll take months, but I’ll keep you updated.

5 Likes

Good luck😁

1 Like

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have Fibromyalgia. I have sleep issues that became apparent before Fibromyalgia diagnosis. Would be nice to check out the coincidence.!

3 Likes

Kimmy had had to to meds from my doctor because of falling asleep. I have sleep apnea and other problem with sleep. My Dr and I have discussed it for years before he gave me anything. Hope things are improving some

1 Like

I had two sleep studies for sleep apnea in 2017 and both were negative. Interesting at the possible connection between narcolepsy, sleep apnea, and FM. Thanks for bringing up this topic!.

2 Likes

Well, I talked to my doctor about narcolepsy, and asked about the possibility of taking a mild stimulant to help keep me awake while driving… I have to see my neurologist to be evaluated for narcolepsy, and " there’s nothing you can take that will keep you awake"… So my son and brother are taking turns riding with me to help me stay awake - both are disabled and can’t work. I hope I’m not repeating myself… I have coffee instead of blood in my veins, and my GERD and stomach ulcers determine how strong it can be. I suppose I could try Turkish coffee, or espresso infusions… 😋 I find laughter to be great medicine!!

1 Like

I agree that sometimes our lives are so convoluted you just have to laugh!

1 Like

Great topic! I have narcolepsy and wondering if I have FM. I am on stimulants and take Xyrem at night to force my brain to sleep but my drs don’t seem to understand that my pain trumps all. I’m not sleeping well bc of the pain (constantly waking me up) and can’t take any pain meds at night (or any meds for that matter) with sedative quality. For now, I only take naproxen at night. Meh. There is a pretty significant comorbidity between chronic pain and sleep disorders (i.e. narcolepsy). I often wonder if it’s like the “which came first, the chicken or the egg?” Am I having symptoms of EDS (Excessive Daytime Sleepiness) with my sleep disorder bc my body is in so much pain? Or am i in pain bc my brain/body are not recovering due to my sleep disorder? 🤯 Yall should consider also the diagnosis of IHD (Idiopathic hypersomnia disorder) if sleep study results show you are not Narcoleptic. Best wishes.

1 Like

I just went to the cardiologist who said sleep apnea will eat your lung first and other orgins she said I will die from it. If I don’t get back on my c pap machine. I truly believe it also causes alot of unexplained pain