Does anyone else get a migraine from colonge or purfume?

Hello, my first post to the community but I hope to be a little more active to see if others experienced the same type of migraines and pain. My question for you guys is does anyone else get an almost instant migraine if you have a person who has practically bathed in perfume or cologne? Smells are a big trigger for me but specifically fake scents like that really do me in and put me out of commission for the rest of the day if not the day after. Anyone else get this?

Thanks for reading.

2 Likes

Depends on the scent for me. Cleaning supplies and bleach are my main instant migraine triggers.
Same with light, it can be overcast out and still be to bright, winter and the reflection off the snow is another one.
Gentle hugs to you.

3 Likes

Oh I so agree, lights sometimes kill me. I don’t know what it is but if a light ends up pointing directly near my eyes my head begins to start pounding. My migraines always started the back of my head so that’s where the pain starts it moves forward to my temple

1 Like

Mine starts in my eyes

1 Like

Mine starts in the back of my head on the right side then moves forward to my temple on behind my eye. So much pressure it feels like my eye is gonna pop out and my temple pounds so bad it feels like an icepick in my skull. Horrible :(

1 Like

Some smells make mine worse (I am the one with a nonstop migraine for over 28 months). I have more smell issues with my asthma, though.

1 Like

I’m very sorry you have chronic migraine, thankfully I only have 2 a week and my meds work usually. Sometimes I do have to go to the urgent care if it’s very bad… I get a shot of toradol and promethazine in my butt cheek haha. The shots clear it up in 15min then I go home and sleep for 10+ hours. Migraines suck so bad.

1 Like

I can’t even get the Toradol and Promethazine shots anymore. All they want to give me is an Ibuprofen, Benadryl and Promethazine oral cocktail since the crack down on drug prescribing!!! That does NOTHING - I have those meds at home so I don’t bother with the ER anymore!

1 Like

I fucking HATE that. Drug addicts have fucked everything up for people who actually have pain issues! It’s BS that they per test everyone just to get a refill! So frustrating.

3 Likes

Yes, fluorescent lights (are the worst) and certain sounds make my ongoing migraine worse. I used to crank my music in the van 😁. Now, I can’t listen at all without earplugs in. To go out of the house, I have to wear two pairs of sunglasses at all times.😎 Otherwise 😭 which I know doesn’t help the migraine either.

2 Likes

Yes, it is VERY frustrating!!!

1 Like

God, not related to migraines but 2 years ago the ER found a spot in my lung on an xray but saod it was nothing but maybe scar tissue from chronic bronchitis. However I continued to get sicker and sicker. Coughing up crap out of my lungs, chills, sweats, I felt horrible. My 3rd time at thd hospital in the west valley the head ER woman came into my room and said don’t come back you are just a drug seeker. Well of course that made me cry because I was actually sick and it made me feel horrible that’s a labeled me like that. I talked to my aunt and she had me go all the way over to Mesa and go to the hospital there. They listened to my lungs one time before saying something is very wrong and scheduled me for a lung biopsy. It came back positive for valley fever and the spot the X-ray showed happened to be necrotic tissue eating a hole through my lung because of the fungal infection. So I ended up having surgery to remove the lower portion of my left lung. After getting better I ripped the hospital that called me a drug seeker a new asshole and since then anytime I’ve needed assistance they have been very good to me at the hospital. Sorry for the rant but oh my god do I hate doctors at times.

2 Likes

I am sorry you’ve had to go through all that!!! Healthcare is getting more and more difficult each year!

1 Like

I swear you need to lose a limb or sell your first born to get any attention or help!

ER doctors last time I went after a 5 day migraine did benydral and noroflex. No torodal but because I am on a blood thinner and he was worried about the reaction. The above didn’t work so he gave me a shot of morphine. He also did a CT scan to make sure I wasn’t bleeding in my brain. But it sucks that chronic pain patients are given a rough time.

I agree, it sucks very bad that the people who are experiencing actual pain are put through the ring around just because others are drug seeking. But I don’t understand it with migraines at times because usually I’m begging for Toradol which is a non-narcotic and promethazine just to stop throwing up. I’m even happy if they give me Zofran. You would think this would just let them know I’m in pain not here for the fun of it

Agree. But some doctors have been freaked out by the new regulations. True Torodal is really a muscle relaxant. So don’t know why they would fuss over it except in my recent case with the blood thinners.

Yeah I could see it in your case just because I could be potentially fatal so they got that there at least. Hope you’re doing okay make sure you stay on your meds and keep yourself healthy!

1 Like

Working on it. Just hope the neurologist finds an effective medication for my migraines

Best of luck to you my friend. Just a question, have they ever tried putting you on a beta blocker? I take propranolol as a preventative medication and that has actually done wonders. I’m now getting Maybe one migraine a week if that. Pretty good experience but sorry if you’ve already tried it

1 Like