Depression

DEPRESSION is a debilitating disease which can take over your life in a way outsiders will never know. Because it is so hard to explain how you feel without the stigma of public ridicule and labels put on you now days, people tend to hold the feelings inside.
This leads to many other physical problems so I think it should addressed just as adamantly as diabetes, migraines and heart issues.

23 Likes

I worry about my daughter who had severe depression disorder. I don’t know what to do course she will not take to me.

4 Likes

As a once depressed teenager it’s a huge help to know someone cares. My mom rented me video games, bought groceries when I wanted to cook what I saw on TV (she got to eat it too) and never made me feel bad about keeping to myself. I don’t know if this is the best way but I think it was what I needed. It’s also hard to express your appreciation when you’re depressed. You might already be helping more than you know. That said, I hated counseling but when a life is on the line I’d get professional help if you can.

9 Likes

My Mamma had a way of getting me to talk without making it feel like a “talk” she would ask would ask my help with something then before I knew it I was telling her about my issue! Sometimes the best way to help someone is to give them a way to feel needed by helping someone else.

15 Likes

I think that’s great advice.

6 Likes

I have bipolar depression. I am in the depressed stage most of the time, but can go manic with a flip of the switch. Depression is difficult at best and debilitating and it sucks most of the time… It’s hard to describe. The best Ive been able to describe it is emotional pain. For a long time I was in denial and isolated away from my biological family. My Mom especially. She was steadfast in her openness and love. She openly accepted me and learned about depression so she could relate to me in a small way. I’ve come to realize that the only people who can truely understand me are ones who go through the same difficulties as me. That being said family can be there, be as non judgmental as possible, and be open and loving, support and “shore” up where possible, but be firm and keep your boundaries. Don’t be played. I know I’m a great manipulator, so be aware and don’t buy into questionable behavior. This is only a start. Learn, love and lead by example. Acceptance is key

6 Likes

Hi. Let me introduce myself. I have bipolar 2. I’m in the depressive state most of the time, but can go manic in seconds. I monitor for this and treat it imediately! My meds are monitored closely as the ones I’m on often become ineffective at low doses and are raised to the highest levels and then must be changed to another combination. Some combinations cause me seizures. I have a solid support system at this time. I know I can be emotionally draining on others. I lost my marriage due to this (I think). I can be irrational and difficult to deal with. I also suffer from migraines and chronic pain. My emotional pain and mood swings can be seen in my pets. They cue me to changes and when I “listen” to them and I can head off drastic changes before they become debilitating. I am on disibility due to my inability to cope with the stressors in the work place. When I’m in social situations (even positive ones) I can quickly become overwhelmed and my depression becomes worse or I flip into a manic mode. The more manic I go the lower my depression will be. Manic episodes are a flash in the pan while depressed emotional states cling to me like sticky clay/mud and are long lasting. Coping measures are quiet ones like gardening, scrapbooking, working with wood, being with animals, and listening to Christian audio books. After dealing with this lifelong illness I’ve become aware of my triggers, my coping measures, my emergency meds, and to stop looking for a quick fix. I stress MY because everyone reacts to their depression different, altho there are many similarities. I’m open to questions from others and suggestions while knowing that I have to keep solid boundaries to protect myself.

8 Likes

Hi my name is Kelly, I just had to say how much alike we are. I am the same way with my meds. They all work for a little while and then they have to be changed and then the roller coaster ride begins again. I have gone through 2 marriages because of how difficult it is to cope with my mood swings and manic episodes. I do have a good man now that seems to be doing ok with it so far. He still doesn’t understand it fully though. I also have an emotional support dog that helps alert me to my changes in my moods and behavior and I have learned to trust his behaviors and know when to make the necessary changes in mine. I am also on disability for the same reasons and I cope with the depression in much the same way. I like to be alone and draw, be with my dog and listen to music. I however have to force myself to be a part of everyone’s day because I have my autistic daughter I have to take care of and my husband who is disabled also so some days are a real struggle. I just had to respond to your post because it was kind of a releif in a way that someone else out there knows what it’s like. I wish you didn’t because I wouldn’t wish this on anyone.

6 Likes

I’ve thought about your reaching out to me. Wow did it make me feel better in a way to know your out there. My divorce hit me hard and 10 years later I still struggle with it. It didn’t make me suicidal but I have never been lower. I completely stopped functioning. My parents assumed care for me and my kids pulled me along in their wake of high school and college sports. However did you find the courage to marry again? How did you even find another to even date. I desperately want to belong to a group of people/friends. Right now I am isolated except for helping elderly parents and an uncle who has dementia, and going to church. Suggestions? ??

3 Likes

It wasn’t easy at all. I had some amazing friends that refused to let me give up on myself like I wanted to. I didn’t have any children from my first marriage so it was just me and my family is the true definition of disfunctional so all I had was this hand full of friends that truly saved my life and wouldn’t let me give up. Then when the second marriage fell apart I had my 5 children and didn’t have time to fall apart. At least not right away. But when I did it was a good one. I wound up being hospitalized for a little over a month over it. I had been single and not even looking to be with anyone for almost 14 years when I found this wonderful man I am with now. And I found him by accident. We have been together for a little over 4 years now and we argue here and there but we have never really even ever had a real fight. I have explained my situation to him and he has delt with the manic episodes pretty well he seems to be able to talk me down before they get to bad. The only problem we have is my depression and how he won’t just let me deal. He wants to keep asking if I’m ok every few minutes and he doesn’t realize he’s making it worse. Mine really wasn’t courage to marry again. It was that lonelyness outweighed everything else and I was hoping against hope that this time it would work.

6 Likes

Hi. My name is Donna. I have severe major depression. I don’t like talking about it but I know talking is a good thing. I am also a huge introvert and don’t like any attention on myself, but at the same time, my chosen career path is in health care, which I totally LOVE and FEEL BLESSED to have.

7 Likes

Hi I am Katrina, 52 and suffer from Bipolar for the last 20 years. The past 3 years or so I have been off all forms of psychiatric drugs and therapy due to financial limitations. I have been surprisingly not a complete mess as I have learned what kinds of situations trigger certain behaviors and consciously strive to avoid those triggers. I have recently moved with my son into my mother’s residence to help her out and due to that my financial situation has changed for the better and I will be able to afford to go back to the treatment I really need. I have not experienced a manic episode in quite a long time and am so thankful for that! I have recently started going out to karaoke like 3 times a week and have made some awesome new friends and it relieves so much stress that builds up. My mother is 81 and has some serious paranoid thoughts that are difficult to manage, so this time away really helps me to curb my temper when she gets on my last nerve. She has even noticed I am happier when I am able to go out and have a bit of fun. I had forgotten how much I loved doing that and it has helped so much. My only advice to give at this moment is to find something, anything you love to do that relaxes you and do it as much as you can. I had been so out of touch these last 3 years I was like a hermit. So glad I changed my tune! LOL and yes that pun was intended! Another stress reliever is to find humor whenever and wherever you can, it really is one of the best medicines. Thanks for sharing and listening!😃😁

4 Likes

Hello Donna—Thanks so much for sharing here and for joining the Community. We’re so glad to have you.

This is a safe place for you to talk to others and share what’s on your mind—whenever you feel comfortable (and whenever you’d like)! The Community is here to support you. :)

Please keep in touch if I can help you navigate the site or if you have any questions along the way.

Take care,
—Ivy
Community Manager

3 Likes

Kelpar. Reaching out. Am stugging hard this week with feelings of being trapped in an impossible situation with my parents and possibly paranoid about it all. Am going to leave it all behind for 2 days and going to see my daughter and grandkids.

4 Likes

I have to agree fully as I suffer from that as well as my other problems. Married for 30 years and now that I suffer from depression even she does not understand it.

2 Likes

Getting away for a couple of days is a good idea. Not only will it give you some time to relax but it will give you some time to breath and look at your situation from a whole different perspective. Enjoy your time with your daughter and grandchildren and then take a deep breath and revisit your situation with refreshed eyes. I have to do this all the time otherwise I get overwhelmed and stressed out and then the anxiety sets in and takes over. Wishing you all the best.

5 Likes

I had an amazing time with my daughter! ! I played, went down slides, read books, cuddled grandkids, bottle fed the youngest, particitated in bath time and put kids to bed. (I’d share a pic but am unable to put the pic on here) I’m reset and relaxed

8 Likes

That’s so wonderful to hear you had a great time with your daughter!

(To help with your image upload: Although the Community doesn’t offer a direct way to upload photos yet—there is a workaround! Just drag the image from your desktop directly into the reply window. The image should upload from there). :)

—Ivy
Community Manager

3 Likes

I don’t have a computer and am using my smartphone, so hopefully there will soon be a way. By the way I’m glad there is this community to touch base with others. Thank you

2 Likes

That’s perfectly okay! I’m excited to share that we’re currently working on building a Community for the app, so stay tuned! :)

Thank you for sharing here and for supporting others. We’re so glad to have you as a part of the Community.

Have a wonderful evening!

—Ivy
Community Manager

3 Likes