I’m in the middle of a mental crisis, I’m losing the ability to keep control over my anxiety & depression. My psychologist wants me to find a place for either an Intensive Outpatient Program, or an Inpatient Program. Big problem, there aren’t many places for me to go in Iowa that also accepts my state insurance. I’m becoming concerned that I won’t find anything, plus she has already told me that I need more than she can help me with so I can’t see her very much longer. I HAVE to find somewhere for help or I’m in a really bad place…how do I find help? I dont want to end up in a dump that the show on TV. Anyone have any helpful ideas? I really need some help, please?


Did u call the number on the back of your insurance card? They should be able to offer you some kind of help. If you now what kind of insurance plan you have you can ask your insurance agent for help they should have some options for you. Hope this is helpful, please let me know if you find help. I’m here if u want to talk.


Have you tried calling 211


I did, it was a waste of time…but thanks for the help.


Did u call other psychologist to see if they accept your insurance?


It’s just so hard to find a connection with someone, the trust etc…and my psychologist is a great fit, but I’ll do whatever I can to get better. Thanks for taking time to drop me a post…have a nice day 😃


Good luck i hope u find the help u need.


In Texas we have a 211 phone # people can call. The people who man the phones know the different types of services people need and where to find them. Look on the back of your insurance card there should be a phone number for patient assistance or something comparable. Call that number and tell him them what you need. Also ask your Dr & his staff where to find help. Your doctor cannot dismiss you without referring you to another doctor. If he does it’s called abandonment and that’s against the law. You keep seeing him until he gives you a referral to someone who takes your insurance.


If she refers u to a place then insurance should cover it. Because it is a referral…


Your psychiatrist, primary care Doctor, or even State insurance should be able to recommend an intensive outpatient or inpatient program. I have been to aggressive outpatient programs myself, and you will find that it’s on a whole different level when it comes to treatment.


If you don’t mind, could you tell me about it? I don’t have a clue what it would be like…if not I understand. Thanks for the help, take care


The outpatient setting that I went to met in different groups throughout the day. The groups would be based on the people’s needs. Like- what do you do when you’re depressed, or how to work through anxiety, depending on what is needed. Then there are med groups where you meet with the Doctor to update and/ or change meds. It’s kind of like group therapy but it’s several groups daily. The hardest part for me was lasting all day cause I was so tired from my depression. It helped a lot to get rid of intrusive thoughts, reduce anxiety and give me tools to handle it, and mainly help me function again. I hope this helps.


Can your psychiatrist recommend places to call and ask if they take your insurance? Maybe in a big town close by? I feel for you. This must be a scary time in your life.


Thank you for the kindness, I will look into that. Take care of yourself…


When I was in a really bad place with my depression I checked myself into inpatient and I consider it the best vacation I’ve ever had. Don’t be afraid to give it a try (if you find a place) because not having to worry about traveling to appointments, cooking food, shopping, etc., plus the benefits of the groups really gives you a chance to rest, relax, and make friends with the other people there. They will teach you a lot.


I just got out of the hospital. Went in Fri I was on the phone to someone and all at once I think I pass out. The next thing I knew I was in the hospital. They sent me home and when I got home. I do not remember nothing until Sunday. My son took me to his place for a barbecue. He had to carry me to the car. When I got to his place. I freak out. He had to carry me in. He then had to carry me back to the car. I have no memory of any of this. My blood. Pressure was 286/ 125 . the hospital in Washington Mercy sent me to the Big Mercy in St. LouiThey did. EEG on Monday. They said they found nothing. So what happened to me.


Can you go to Nebraska for help if you have Medicare part A B and D and Medicare from the state? There are some very good hospitals one called Immanuel where they have an excellent mental health out patient program and super inpatient services on the psyc ward. If you just have state insurance I don’t know where to tell you to go…I just moved here from another state a year ago so I have been in both programs…I,hope this helps