COPD 's symptoms

I am 56 years old and was diagnosed with COPD last year it has just recently started to bother me. Does anyone know if you start to have thickening phlegm with COPD as it worsens.

3 Likes

First of all hello everybody , nice to know we aren’t all along I was diagnosed in my 20tees found a way to deal with copd 1.stay calm 2.don’t get over exerted if so deep breathes to get your oxygen level up which help you calm down and restore your breathing to normal and get to some oxygen to restore your oxygen levels to maintain control , use your inhaler consult with your to see if your on the appropriate inhaler for you also breathing treatments not both at the same time if you he needs to go up on your prednisone mg to stablelize your oxygen level flu shots , pneumonia shots drink plenty of water monitor persistent cough thick mucus monitor what seem to be a slight cold which can develope into flu / pneumonia if not careful and cause more congestion shortness of breathe hope this will help to much heat will trigger copd Thank you

10 Likes

Yes drink plenty of water could be a sign of a flare up or a cold you also start weezing little more short of breath at times monitor for yellow/ green color signs
of lung infection call Dr explain color hope this help out

8 Likes

Thank you so very much for the information. My COPD flared up shortly after HurrIcane Michael hit us. I am trying to deal with it. I have been put on a new inhaler. I lost my medical supplies in the storm. Including my nebulizer.

4 Likes

If possible to help with congestion steam from a hot shower will help put moister on lungs

6 Likes

When my COPD first started to flar up. Whenever I would be moderately active I would get winded then the phlum would start coming from my lungs not just a little bit but in Large quanites I would bring up a big hunk. It was so bad it temparly blocked my airway. This went on for several minutes at the time it seemed like forever. Then the phlum subsided I seemed to be ok the rest of the day. These phlum ups normally happen at the start of the day with moderately exertive activey.
It got so bad I went to the doctor and they prescribed Ipratrium bromide and albuerol 3 times a day and two deferent flovent 2 times a day and ventolin 2 times a day. These help keeping the plum from building up in my lungs

7 Likes

Yes it does. Do your nebulizer regularly and don’t smoke. I lost my husband of 31 years December 23 of 2018. He just stopped breathing. I wish you all the best. Please take care and mind your doctor.

5 Likes

Phelme I thought that was because of my coughing because I can’t do nothing until I get it up. I knew I had cops for about a year now

2 Likes

Yes with COPD chronic obstructive lung disease the best thing you can do is obviously do not smoke do not be in an environment where it’s difficult to Breathe any chemicals the best humidification for you is to drink a lot of water water is the best humidification center you cannot buy a better one stay away from milk and a lot of dairy products because they increase the phlegm in the lungs.

5 Likes

Pineapple juice is good for treating phlem and cough. I was diagnosed with copd & sleep apnea 2013. I use oxygen at night. It has gotten more and more difficult to walk any distance but I know I can’t stop my daily exercising

4 Likes

If you have a phlaming from your lungs that is blocking airway try coughing and once you get the blockage cleared put not fully clear but you are getting some air you need to try a relax and slowly breath in to get some air back into your lungs then slowly beeth out for minute of so this will help to clear the phleum blockage and get air back into your lungs.

If you inhale or exhale to fast you will you will reblock your airway with the the phleum that may be still in your airway . Once you get to air going again you will have more air to try and get the remaining phleum out of you airway.

4 Likes

I totally agree with Mike’s suggestions. You can’t do anything if you’re not able to catch your breath. Stop everything you’re doing, sit down a take a deep breathe and then slowly blow it out thru your mouth as if blowing out a candle. Continue doing this until you begin to breathe easier and your body relaxes a bit as well as your heart rate slows. I know when you’re fighting for air this seems like a lot to do, but I promise it becomes second nature after a while. Do drink plenty of water and stay away from milk products. Stay in touch with your Dr. and report any notable changes to your condition. We are all here for you, so never feel you’re alone, because you’re not. Best wishes and prayers you are feeling better. This is a great group and you’ll always find caring people willing to share their best practices. ❤

7 Likes

Yes I have had the same symptoms you are happy with my COPD I cough everyday it is a bothering thing to me sometimes I can’t even sleep at night

2 Likes

My co-pay for a box of Albuterol is 600.00 so I just got myself saline vials. They don’t seem to do anything but dry my mouth and nasal passages out even more than they already are from the 80 mg of Lasix I take every day.
I will be consulting an insurance analyst in the Fall.
How is Saline solution helpful?

1 Like

Definitely. I’ve had it for 10 years. It gets harder and harder.I’m to the point I have a PCA. To do what I can’t. Sadly there’s not much I can do.

2 Likes

I looked online and found a list of foods that cause excess mucous. Dairy products are one of them. There are 12 foods listed. The site also lists foods that eliminate mucus. I don’t have COPD but I have asthma. Mucus was playing a huge role in my flare ups. Since I’ve changed my diet breathing is much better. The site I found is
Livelovefruit.com. I hope this is helpful. Bless you I understand how you feel.

4 Likes

Hi I also have COPD , yes phlegm does get thicker I have copd for over 10 years. But I do really feel for you and I will be praying for you if you don’t mind.

3 Likes

Most definitely, but your inhaler (s) should help keeping your pluming down

1 Like

I think I know how you feel about your loss.
I lost my wife of 30yrs. Several years back.
If it’s ok with you.
I’d like to give you a “God Bless You”

1 Like

Mike that’s the exact things my caregiver gave me.
Right On. Hoo Ra

1 Like