Confused about insulin dosage

I never know exactly how much Novolog to give my mom to counter her blood sugar. Can someone make it simple?

3 Likes

My doctor my doctor put me on a novlog amd gave me these
Under 200- none
200-250-then 4units
251-300 then 6 units
300-351 then 8 units
Over 351 then 10 units
I hope this helps
God bless and gentle hugs.

1 Like

Unfortunately that is a question for your doctor and/or endocrinologist. If you’re not sure, please be sure to ask him/her to clarify this as insulin is a VERY sensitive medication and needs to be precise as possible.

4 Likes

Yes! Thank you so much. This was very stressful.
Gentle hugs back to u!💕

1 Like

Yes, thank u for the advice! I do ask my mom’s doctor but the answers are always very confusing.

1 Like

Go with her to see her doctor and they will tell you and don’t forget. Write it down for any other questions also ask them to be specific and they’re answers

3 Likes

Doctors often think everyone knows what they (the physician) are thinking. As medical personnel, we sometimes forget to explain things to patients in more layman’s terms. If you are ever unclear about their instructions, don’t hesitate to ask. Providers are there for YOU and if they don’t understand that, find another doctor who does and is willing to take the time to listen to you.

4 Likes

I’m the one that takes her to her appointments.
Next time I’ll be sure to have a notebook with me. Thank you!

2 Likes

Yes! Because I’m definitely a layman😅.

2 Likes

My pleasure

2 Likes

When you take your mom to the doctor have then give you the dosages needed. They should have a typed copy. If they don’t request one. Then there will be no question about it.
Insulin can be dangerous if to much is given. You should never follow someone elses dosage. It could be incorrect for her. It will not do your mom any good to have to small a dose and could kill her if the dose is to large.
Please contact the doctor for dosage. I hope this has helped you. Stay well and gentle hugs to you and your mom.

1 Like

Very good advise.

1 Like

Good advise.

Also write down your questions so you do not forget to discuss them with the doctor.

1 Like

Thank you! I will def put all of this advice into practice when we go back to her Dr.
Loads of gentle hugs to you as well💕

1 Like

Novalog comes in a pen it has been pre loaded just dial the settings and go from there the will tell u how man units to give her

1 Like

That’s something that the doctor need to tell her because no one can say how much she needs to take the doctor has to do that that’s a serious matter

1 Like

I was in a rest home for 3 months getting iv therapy, Dr put my on Nicoli on this schedule. Blood sugar readings at 125then I got 2 units, up to 150, then 4 units, 200, 6 units, 250 8 units, 300 10 units, and on. I am now on the Keto diet lifestyle, which has made a big difference for me. These readings and shots are taken before each meal. I’m very seldom over 200 now on my readings. I also take Lantus 20 units morning and night, but with that one, I’d check with my doctor before using or modifying it’s use. Metformin I quit using over a year ago because it really doesn’t do anything for my blood sugar. Only slows down my livers secretion of glucose.

1 Like

Novolog, stupid spell checker.

1 Like

I’m on an insulin pump. I’ve been on the pump for thirteen years. I was the first adult in my late 30’s to be approved for the pump. I was not looking forward to it but now it is so much better and easier to manage. It’s the best thing for me.

1 Like