Cimzia for Autoimmune Diseases?

Recently diagnosed with spondyloarthropathy, previously misdiagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I did not react well to Sulfasalazine and Methotrexate, so I’ve been switched to a relatively new treatment using Cimzia.

It’s an injectable that I give to myself bi-weekly for the first couple months, then later only once monthly. I just did my first treatment of it today and shown how to administer it myself in the future. The bonus of this treatment? No nausea! Or so I’ve been told. 🙏

My question is: Is anyone else on it? If so, how did you react to it/how effective did you find it?

I have rheumatoid and I use an injectable called orencia. It seems to be working slowly. I can actually walk again in small increment without any type of aide. Methotrexate made me worse and caused my blood levels to dropped drastically.

Cimzia carries a warning with it, as do all biologic TNF blockers, that it may lower your immune system’s ability to fight infections. Considering the fact that an “autoimmune disease” like AS already is having this effect on your body, you potentially could be in for a double whammy. I took Humira and then Simponi for several years. Awesome help with my AS but it eventually caught up with me. (It might be a factor of my age as well - turned 65 this past July.) My immune system went flat and I got pseudomonas bacteria colonized in my lungs after it put me through some miserable days of pneumonia. We are hoping that all the intravenous antibiotics have finally arrested it. Bottom line for you: follow up regularly with blood tests for your immune system (not just liver functions and TB). Talk to your doctor about this.