Cancer Support For Caregiver

My wife was recently diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer in her bones.

I feel helpless in helping her stay positive and hopeful about her remaining time.

It is frightening for us both. How do I stay mentally healthy to care for her?

12 Likes

It’s important to know you are not alone. Connecting with others can help. There will be good days and bad days. Know that you might be in this situation for a while and try to take time for yourself as well. Eat and get sleep…it will be good for you to be strong for her.

8 Likes

Poppy, i totally understand where your at. Im going through the exact same thing right now with my mom. She just found out that her stage 4 lung cancer has probably moved to her bones. The problem is that she is already on hospice so she cant find out for sure. You cant have a treatment while on hospice. We have no idea if she has days or weeks or months left. So we just live each day to the fullest, laugh often, and dont take anything for granted. (Even if that means chocolate chip pancakes for dinner ;-). Im hear if you want to talk

10 Likes

Former Cancer patient. I’ve been Cancer since 2006.

7 Likes

Poppy, you are wonderful to stand by her. Be strong y’all will make it. God bless you.

6 Likes

One of the agencies has a program where they assign you each a phone support person. Ill try to find the name . Its ether American Cancer Society, or united way.

5 Likes

Poppy,I’am a cancer survivor (prostate).Just put it in Gods Hands ,He will give you peace.God Bless.

7 Likes

Hello, for what it’s worth, I think because you already realize that you must stay mentally healthy for the both of you means you are on the right path. Sometimes it helps me to repeat a phrase or saying to keep me mentally strong and motivated to get through one more day. I say things like “I’m stronger than I think I am” or it might help to call a friend who just knows how to make you smile or laugh. I can’t tell you how much better I feel after I’m reminded of a funny memory or story.

You are not alone and I hope my posting helped in your time of need.

Marguerite

7 Likes

I’m still learning how to navigate on this forum. I can’t quite figure out how to respond to everyone individually. I do appreciate every one of you that have commented to me. I read the advice over and over when I’m feeling overwhelmed. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

5 Likes

She may very well survive.my wife had Stu 4 BC also not in the bones but your wife may do very well with the right treatment.15 yrs now for my wife and now shrs my care giver.five yeats. Into syage 4 renal carcinoma.

5 Likes

Poppy find a support group in your area for caregivers. Just as your wife need support so do the care givers. A good place is also a local church. There you will find people who will love and support you and your wife. If you need help in finding a church in your area email me rbingham38821@gmail.com I will assist you in finding one. I am starting my 39th year in ministry (I’m 56 started when I was 18) and I will be glad to help. Blessings Robert.

4 Likes

You can help her and yourself by reading the Bible. It will give you strength to be able to help .

3 Likes

I’m also a Prostate survivor (Seeds Implant). How did you get by the shock after the initial treatment that you might kick this thing? Will joining a support group help?

1 Like

Like I told Poppy ,Just put it in GODS hands.He will be with you every step of the way,God will not leave you.Trust Him.

3 Likes

Read and BELIEVE he is always with you.

4 Likes

AMEN, Thank You Lord!!

2 Likes

Getting on this site was a good start. You can get lots.of moral support from all of us here and questions answered. Its very hard when its someone you love to be going thru this. I hope you also have family you can lean on as well.

3 Likes

Poppy…all you have to do is hit the reply button under an individuals post. I don’t know if there is a way to reply individually but will check it out

2 Likes

Mary here, are y’all talking about your fears. Getting that out in the open is very helpful. Not talking about her cancer, possible death is like ignoring an elephant in the room. Keeping all these feelings stuffed down actually causes more stress. Talking about it and crying about together can help a lot. Making sure she’s physically comfortable also is an excellent way to stay positive. Bless you both. I hope this helps in some small way.

4 Likes

Amazing grace;
Ring your bell, you deserve it. Congratulations on being CANCER FREE!!!
HURRAY HURRAY FOR YOU.

4 Likes