Cancer pains

Has anyone been giving methadone for pain?, & if so does it work for cancer pains? My palliative care Dr has been talking to me about since May & speaks highly of it &how good out works.

1 Like

What exactly are your pains from? Methadone is usually used when a person stops taking narcotic type medications. It is used to help with people who are suffering withdrawal symptoms which can include pain. I have never talked with someone using it as a pain treatment alone.
Please keep us informed about this because I am in a high level of pain all the time.

2 Likes

Morning Chaplin wade; I’m being treated for Lung Cancer stgeIV, the pains getting worse so the Dr said she found that Methadone helps allot with cancer paitents. I’m well aware of it’s use for people with addiction problems. That’s why i kept questions up with Dr about the differance in use with this drug. She also said that when used for addiction their giving much higher doses, like 80mg & higher @ times, but when treatment for pains from Cancer you can get by with lower doses. I’m not sure if it’s only giving to cancer patients. Did i read correctly that your in a high pain also?
May i ask, what is causing your pain?
Thanks for the feed back…

2 Likes

Hello, I’m so sorry that you are suffering from so much pain. And it seems to me that your palliative doctor knows how much pain your in and doesn’t want to see you suffer. He wants to make you feel more comfortable. My advice to you because I don’t feel anyone should suffer if they don’t have to, is to take the good ol’ doctors advice and try the methodone. And if you don’t like it then stop.

Be grateful that you have a caring and compassionate doctor because not all of us cancer patients have one. I had a terrible doctor for about a year who did nothing for my pain. It took me, on what I would call my death bed, to make a desperate call to my brother who moved me back home in order to get proper medical care. I am now getting better, albeit slowly, very slowly.

Remember you can stop the medication if you want to.

I wish you all the best,

Marguerite

4 Likes

I have what my doctors call Primary Lateral Sclerosis. It is not normally associated with pain but there is a small percentage who do report having moderate to severe pain. I, unfortunately, fall into that small group. I also have severe neuropathy that can prevent me from sleeping for days sometimes.
If it weren’t for my faith and knowing that God has a plan and a purpose for me I do believe that I would’ve already lost my mind or be buried in deep depression.

1 Like

My dad has been going through immunotherapy (nivolumab) for his stage for lung cancer and his pain medication is a combination of : Tylenol, hydromorphone (long lasting) and hydromorphone (fast release). The most effective for him is the fast release hydromorphone.

Dexamethasone was effective during chemo but since moving to immunotherapy, he couldn’t take dex as it reacts to the immunotherapy (nivolumab)

1 Like

I thank you for your very kind words. My Palliative care Dr is very kind,thoughtfull & does try to keep me out of pain, she is great. The Methadone is working GREAT & only at 5mg to start. I would of never thought this…I do use my break thru pain meds less now. Still need them when the Cancer reminds me; “I’m Here” but not like it use to be.
I’m sorry to hear about your other Dr. That’s is awful how Drs can be & the differance in them. I’ve been very luck through my cancer & copd, having wonderful Drs. I wish you the best with your new Dr too. Good Bless you & the best of luck thru your cancer journey. 🌹🌷🙏☺

Hi Soulbound; Does your dad have a Palliative care Dr? They are great Drs. to have when a person has cancer, if you get a good one…There are better pain meds out their. I’m on immunotherapy also, Keytruda; I take the 5mg Methadone plus Oxycodone 40mg for break thru pains. Which i use less now due to the methadone.
I pray your dad gets the best of care through this horrible cancer & pain relief, that’s one of the main things thru this. Good Bless you both…🌷🌹🙏🙏

1 Like

Morning ChaplinWade. I pray your sleeping as I right this to you…Just your luck to fall into that small group of pain. I’ve not heard of what you have but truly terrible. You could ask your Dr about methadone, at small doses it works great. I sleep better now & take less break thru meds. It does work… Yes, god always has a plan for us, this is true. Best of luck through your journey.
🙏🙏👼☺

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. I’m glad the methadone works well for you and that there are so many options for pain relief out there. Bless 🙂

1 Like

Thank you. I had to take an anti-anxiety pill last night as everything was feeling off kilter. So, when I do that I am out of it for about 24 hrs. At least I get some sleep. I am very glad that you have found something that works for you. My PCP in AZ always told me that one of the things that irritated her more than any other was doctors who put patients into a formula instead of creating a formula for each patient. We are all created uniquely, then you mix in our different environments and exposures, voila! Nobody, even with identical illnesses, can be treated identically.
I really wish all doctors could spend a week with her, just quietly watching her interact with her patients. I do believe that that would be the absolute best education any of them would ever receive. I really do miss her.