Breast Cancer survivor

Hello everyone. I am trying to spread comfort & hope. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in November 2004. I was 49 years old. No one in my family had ever had breast cancer. No inherited trait until me. In January 2015 I had a left breast, radical mastectomy. I had the doctor leave some extra skin, because I knew I was going to have breast reconstruction some time in the future. Shortly after I passed the 5 year clean mark, I scheduled to have the reconstruction. I used my own fat & skin for the procedure. It is called DIEP flap procedure. It was the best decision for me. I had my right breast removed at that time.I got perky boobs & a tummy tuck, woo hoo!! No more mammograms! I had 6 months of chemo only, no radiation. I did lose my hair, but did not get so physically Iill. A couple of days of nausea, it was tolerable. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I had an awesome support system. Family & great friends. I also kept a good attitude the whole time. Attitude is SO important. I continued to work a 40 hour work week. I am clean since 2005. 14 years! I now see my Oncologist only once a year. I hope this post has helped someone. I am blessed.

11 Likes

Yes you are! Thank God…

2 Likes

Hello MommaCarol, thank you for sharing your wonderful news. It gives us cancer patients hope. But I do have a question for you if you don’t mind. You stated that you had a good attitude the whole time and I wanted to know how. How did you manage to keep a good attitude when cancer and the treatment is so depressing?

Thanks,

Marguerite

2 Likes

Thank you so much 💜

1 Like

As part of a project research, we are trying to understand the psychological challenges and emotional experience involved in breast cancer survivorship. This is a quick anonymous survey for survivors and caregivers. It would be great if we could better understand your experience and contribute to developing solutions for breast cancer survivors. Please go to https://forms.gle/KRJPYrUpUG8wEEsM7 for the survey

1 Like

Diagnosed in October 23 never a history in my family but all good things come to an end, I’ve done radiation treatments and waiting on where I go from here

Hi there. I am newly diagnosed with breast cancer. My Aunt and my grandmother had it too. I haven’t taken the genetic test yet, but we will see. I see these posts from incredible women who are courageous and have been thru hell and back and I am in awe. I am so blessed to only have stage 1 breast cancer. LOL! Is that weird? I am saying I am blessed. I am in the middle of an emotional roller coaster. I see so much information that sounds so simple and then so scary! Anyway I am here, I am trying to figure out a plan. My husband and my two boys are like rocks around me, it brings me to my knees to see their love and courage. I send love and light to all my sister’s out there that are going thru this. I know I will find my way…

1 Like

I have taken the survey. Thanks!