Asthma/COPD and sleep apnea

Do any of you suffer from sleep apnea?
I recently found out that, sleep apnea caused many many problems for me.

I guess it has been an issue for years, completely untreated and did a grand ole job of damaging my lungs, heart, mental state. Possibly my thyroid, I find out my next appt.

I never knew it could do that.

Though, honestly, til doctors started asking me if I was ever tested, I didn’t really know what it was.

Does the apnea treatment help with your asthma?

6 Likes

I have all 3 at once and over weight needing 2 knee replacement s i basically live in my bed some day’s are better than other’s

5 Likes

I have asthma and severe sleep apnea myself. Along with my CPAP machine I now have oxygen attached to it. I think it helps me with my asthma as the CPAP assists with my breathing. I too am a little over weight and was told that the apnea would prove with weight loss but my doctors say it would improve a bit but I would still have apnea.

Hang in there and continue your treatments and do whatever your doctors say. It really does get easier to live with…excersise will help with your breathing even if you do sitting down ones.

5 Likes

Hi my name is maudea 45 and i have asmatha and sleep apnea i have to sleep with two fans on i get short of breath and whezzing, coughing when it to hot or to cold

7 Likes

They say I have all three

5 Likes

It should i heard the doctor says it would and have keep weight down breathe better and get more air b

5 Likes

Very familiar with that! Keep fighting. We are more than our pain.

7 Likes

I have asthma and sleep apnea. I use a bipap machine. It really helps the sleep apnea. I did know that untreated sleep apnea can cause damage to your heart and lungs. Not sure about thyroid. You will feel more rested. Getting a comfortable mask is important

6 Likes

I have sleep apnea. I was dignoised 2 yrs. ago. My asthma is still bad. The only thing its helped me with is a good nights sleep, if I’m In an asthma attack n my breathing machine isn’t helping much I go use my apnea machine which allows my lungs time to catch up and recover from the asthma attack. I’ve found the machine does help with that.

5 Likes

There are three types of sleep apnea obstructive, Central, Central and obstructive. Obstructive is caused by obstruction of the glottis in the Airways overweight but not always but when you’re obstructive are any of the other ones you do not go into REM which is the second step in sleep what you need. This can be treated with a nasal CPAP in most cases and is the best way in the first way to try to keep your Airways open at night. The next one is Central meeting central nervous system CPAP is not work for this being it is the central nervous system not an obstruction in the sense of closing off the airway by an obstruction. The next one is Central and obstructive the obstructive can be treated with CPAP but the central is central nervous system and to my knowledge this has not been able to treat. I hope this helps you out.

3 Likes

Treatment of apnea allows you to rest at night and heal. It takes stress off your heart and lungs.

3 Likes

Yes it does. Now when I take my inhalers n they still don’t work I get my C-PAP machine which forces air into your lungs that will allow your lungs to rest as the C- PAP works for your lungs.

3 Likes

I have severe sleep apnea and asthma. The asthma has flared ever since i was diagnosed with the sleep apnea. I have a cpap, but lately i haven’t used it because i cough so much at night. The sleep apnea causes my blood pressure to rise high also, so very dangerous. Now, the doctor put me on medrol dose pack, and it is helping so much. I never tied the two together until i saw your post. I also am overweight as a result of taking antidepressants. I am now off them and have been losing weight, 20 lbs in 4 months. Hopefully i wont have apnea much longer, which in turn will help my blood pressure to go down. It’s all a catch 22 isn’t it.

3 Likes

I have sleep apenea and narcolepsy. Saturday they did the CPAP testing and now I have to wait almost two months to get the CPAP machine. After that they are going to work on the narcolepsy. I was diasnosed earlier with COPD but since I am keeping my oxygen saturation levels ok I no longer have to use the nebulizer but I still have to do breathing exercises.

3 Likes

They plan to give me a mask like device.

3 Likes

I have sleep apnea and COPD as well as narcolepsy. The doctor says the sleep apnea has to be under control before we can address the narcolepsy. Needless to say, I don’t drive because I have gone to sleep behind the wheel a couple of times (that I am aware of) and had accidents, none serious praise God.

3 Likes

Yes it can be a visious circle. But needs to be taken care of or can be life threatening.
I like you am trying to loose weight to help my sleep apnea which will help my B/P.
I also have irregular heart and need to get it under control. It wakes me at night some times feels like a fish flopping in my chest. Other times feels like hourses galloping in my chest. I check with my pulse ox. My heart rate has gotten ove 100 bpm and as high as 200 bpm.
My cardiologist put me on Metporolo Tartrate PRN it helps a lot for either type of episode.
Only thing is sometimes I can not get back to sleep. So here I am at 3:30 am wearing my CPAP wishing I could fall asleep. Later I will need to be awake and will be falling asleep unable to keep my eyes open.
I wish you lots of luck with getting your sleep apena under control.

2 Likes

That seems like a long time to wait for the CPAP. Have you gotten one yet? If so has it helped you?

2 Likes

Some. Your asthma triggers are still the same as before. You will still have your asthma attacks but they aren’t as often but make sure you stay away from your triggers as much as possible.

3 Likes

Finally got it then they had to send me the head gear that would fit. I guess it is helping some but I haven’t had it long enough to be sure.

3 Likes