Are there any ways to stay on a Diet with minimal money to buy good food

Hello, I’m Alison and I’m new here. I’ve been trying to loose weight. I’m on a lot of medications that cause me to gain weight so eating healthy and staying moving is important to me. I have an illness called Ehlers-Damlos Syndrome and it a connective tissue disorder. It causes massive amount of pain in my joints but I still push myself to move around the house and do stuff. But I’m having issues eating good. My wife, I and our roommate eat every month on only $119. That’s all we have been able to afford. I have been finding it very hard to find healthy food for low prices. We try not to eat anything processed. Can Anybody recommend some foods to me that are pretty cheaply priced, that I would be able to buy with such little money to spend on food for 3 people in 1month.

9 Likes

I have actually found some healthy and very good deals at Big Lots. I try to eat only organic, no wheat and no dairy. For instance, when fresh fruit isn’t an option, I buy Polar brand peaches and Mandarin oranges. Delicious! They also sell oats, etc. The key is to really look at their selections. You’ll be pleasantly surprised!

8 Likes

Hello all thanks for the invite. I am a health advocate and always trying to reach my full potential in healthy living. I know quite a lot about healthy living here to learn and help others. I will retire on this Friday so i’ll have a more time to chat.

6 Likes

What type of lifestyle do you follow (vegetarian, vegan or do you eat meat?) I shop at farmers markets in my area which is a large savings on fresh fruits and vegetables.

6 Likes

May I suggest that, if available, you Google the locations of food banks in your area providing healthy food for low income persons. You might also check out Walmart’s frozen vegetables where such are very costs effective. Make sure you read the labels for nutritional values (Yes, just make a plan before you go grocery shopping on what veggies, fruits, meats you need. This has helped me ).

10 Likes

Have you applied for Medicaid and food stamps during your time of need?

8 Likes

Of course buy eggs ,rye ,bread ,apples oat meal, bananas ,chicken ,oranges,and try some snacks.

3 Likes

I eat salad and meat. Protein Is good for energy. Your beans and meats fish. Salad can get old true. But spruce it up with like nuts and raisins.
Where do u live? Do they have like price rite, save A lot, Aldi’s I hear they went all organic. Best of luck to you. I’m a family of 4 eating off 250 a month. So I understand the struggle.

7 Likes

Since my last post, I learned from a friend of an organization known as Top Box where you can purchase nutritious foods at a discount. One is located in my city, so see if one is in yours. I see where the foods are visually shown and you get a lot of healthy items .

8 Likes

I did . But it was a lot of oatmeal and bananas . Lost over 20lbs .

3 Likes

Hi everyone I’m new too the site but I you want to eat vegetables like lettuce and onions grow them in the house all winter it’s cheaper and better for you.

4 Likes

Hi I’m Sarah, I can really relate to the struggle of making ends meet but I don’t know if you have an Aldi store where you’re located but if by chance you do check out the fruit and vegetables there they seem fresh and reasonably priced. Good luck on the diet.

4 Likes

Interested in talking. I’ve been using Herbalife recently. What are you thoughts?

1 Like

Hi. I just happened to have E. D. too. It has run ramped through our family. My nephew has it so badly he has a hard time keeping

1 Like

I make chili and I freeze it and take out what I need. That way I do not waste it. I make a batch every month. It seems to me i don’t know but I have been losing weight with it also.

1 Like

Aldi is good place and good price too. I am vegetarian because meat is not good to me. Brown rice, vegetables and salad are cheap and healthy. Eggs , milk and fruits too. If you live in house you can have a little garden .
Have a Bless summer!!

4 Likes

If you grow it or go to Aldi’s you can
Get seed from the local dollar trees the seeds are an heirloom. 4/1.00

3 Likes

Try the Atkins diet. No bread, pasta, or rice. Try it for two weeks. You should see a difference. Then go for a month. I did granola bars for breakfast. Then meat/chicken and a vegetable for lunch/dinner.

3 Likes

A plant based lifestyle is healthy and affordable. Do a google search for potential deals with your local farmers. Every Saturday (Phx., AZ) I can pick up 60lbs of produce and additional select items for ONLY $10. 🌱

5 Likes

Try the Atkins diet. I did it for two weeks and lost enough to make me want to do it longer. I try not to eat eat anything more than 29 grams of carbs at any one setting.