Anyone have Degenerative Disc Disease?

I have it in my lower spine. I’d like to know what treatment you are getting. I’m on Norco very sparingly (5/325mg twice a day) and it’s not enough for the pain, but they won’t give me more. I need relief, what else is there?

17 Likes

Have you tried physical therapy

4 Likes

Yes I am currently doing PT.

3 Likes

That’s good. One of the big things is to stay mobile as possible. Also massage, walking in a warm pool is good. I use a cold pack also at times. Mine is very advanced and has caused spinal stenosis which required surgery because the bone spurs were pressing on my nerves to the point I was falling.

9 Likes

Those are good suggestions, thank you. You were falling, oh no! I hope that doesn’t end up happening to me as well.

I have been on pain meds for 18 years unfortunately it will never go away but that doesn’t mean that with they should take my pain medicine away cold Turkey and that’s what these pain management morons want to do the thing that helped me the most was massage therapy if you can find somebody that is really good preferably a Chinese woman they will help you the most other than that you’re stuck with the daily grind of therapy tens unit in the pool pain medicine acupuncture and massage therapy it all helps temporarily … Even if you find a good woman or man to rub you where it hurts, it still is only TEMPORARY. . . NEAL

11 Likes

I am actually a licensed physical therapy assistant though I am disabled now. But when I was working was told I had magic hands for massage. Give my boyfriend a massage sometimes. He says it makes him feel better but I can’t do like I use too. Some temporary pain relief is better than none. I also have fibromyalgia so have chronic pain. The things I suggested did help me and I was able to work until I started falling.

9 Likes

Thank you. Back to walking with a rolling Walker which is disappointing but better than breaking anything

6 Likes

The only thing I would like to add is find YMCA most have pools and take silver or work w/ income. Groupon also has great deals messages I love Groupon if you want the link email me it will I email you a link to save you an extra 10$ off message.

4 Likes

Found out I have this and had surgery 2016. Just been taking motrin. Don’t have any other meds. I do good until I twist just a little the wrong way and boom there comes the pain and I’m out of commission for few days. I was told to sleep with pillow between my knees. I do still have my back brace I use when needed. But my dr did say walking is a good thing for it.

3 Likes

I done the physical therapy pain meds found a pain dr and tried again all the above injection in my back none helped I ended up needing steroids put in the spinal area. Been able to do a lot more since 2014. I was crippling and required a lot of help walking taking baths and list goes on. Will need another round soon hope all goes well for you and good luck.

4 Likes

I do and my legs and back hurts alot I stay in pain all the time nothing helps my pain i hurt in my legs all the time

6 Likes

I’ve had Physical Therapy and also go for monthly Trigger Point Injections (lidocaine).

Massage Therapy worked very well, but am now disabled and can’t afford it.

I also get a monthly IV steroid infusion for my Multiple Sclerosis, so that is probably helping as well. And I try to remember to stretch daily (very minor stretching - but it helps!).

I am allergic to most of the pain meds, so I rely on Bayer Back and Body. My pain doctor has also recommended several alternatives to try, such as Chair/Seated Yoga, acupuncture, exercising in a pool, etc.

Hope you are feeling better!

4 Likes

I take Diclofenac also 75mg 3 one in am one in afternoon one at night same with gabapintan which is the generic of the pill you take

3 Likes

Yes I have degenerative disk.! My neck was fused in 84. Then my lower lumbar in 95. Another lumbar surgery in 2015. Also told all my disk in my spine are gone but not ready for rod up my back at this point. Over the years I have been on many different pain med. some helped some did not. Today I take lyrica only. This is something we all have to learn to live with. It is not going away until we are with our Father in heaven. To add to my pain I had fraud done to me. I had worked for Hartford Insurance for 25!years. Talked to a investment broker for 2 years. He was going to help me by reinvesting so I would have a little more income. Will it ended up all going into has pocket. Close to $200,000. Now I have to try to figure out how to live on about $2,000 a month. FBI is trying to find him but say not to count on getting any of the money back. My main lesson I have learned is you can not trust anyone. I am living with my daughter but they do not have room for me so am looking for low income housing. My mind is so over lowedI find it very hard to do much of anything. I need to find a church but who wants to go to a new place and sit and no one says a word to you. I need people in my life!

5 Likes

I also have degenerative back issues. I have had 4 surgery on the last 5discs. The pain does not go away because your spine keeps pushing down when you walk or do things. A cane or a walking stick can help to get around. My stenosis is very painful and sitting is releasing of the pain. I take double strength glucosamine chondroitin 500mg/400mg. You take 3 a day and it makes a difference. I tried it years ago and it did not help but I have been taking it for a year and cannot do without it. It costs but you can buy one and get the second one at 50%. I watch the Sunday paper. Hope this helps. Remember to walk straight even when it hurts. I also get regular massage by a licensed therapist. Been going to mine for over 10 years.

4 Likes

Aquatic physical therapy worked really well for me because it takes the pressure off the joints and whatnot!

9 Likes

Yes I have and still doing it.

1 Like

My church and my family have been a blessing to me.

5 Likes

That sounds like excellent advice. I’m on Norco right now because recently I had a hemorrhagic stroke so the Degenerative Discs got worse due to me favoring my weak side. I use a walker now and I am in horrible pain every time the meds wear off. Pain management will only give me (2) 5/325 MG per day. The pain is so bad I cry when everyone is asleep. I did PT when I first came home from the hospital but I stopped for a while because I had so many appointments to go to. I also have Psoriatic Arthritis, sleep apnea and narcolepsy with cataplexy. I’m a mess. I don’t know how you all have lived so long in this kind of pain! I had to spend my 42nd birthday in the hospital. I’m too young for this!

2 Likes