Alzheimer's - Paranoia/Delusional Dad

Hello,

My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s a few years ago and now he’s making up stories accusing my mom of cheating with the neighbor.

I believe my mother was falsely accused and now upset. I have sadly read that the side effects of dementia may cause paranoia/delusional state of mind.

He will be starting on low dosage anti-psychotic meds in two weeks and I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this type of drug?

How did you cope with a paranoia person? Do you confront or play along knowing that it may hurt the receiving person?

Thank you

Caretaker

3 Likes

From my experience with alzheimers it depends on the moment on whether you go along with it or try to bring a sense of reality. Each time is different and it is mostly a moment to moment decision on how to handle it.

Sometimes it is better to go along with the person if by doing so doesn’t cause the situation to worsen but other times it is best to force the person, or try to make the person see that what they are thinking is not true reality.

May I suggest that if the family is not in an alzheimers support group that you look into it. This disease as all mental health diseases affects everyone around the one who actually has it.

My thoughts, prayers and love are with you!!

3 Likes