Aimovig for migraines

I had severe chronic migraines for 50 years. Last July I started taking Aimovig, a once a month self-injection. I started with 70 mg. but after about 4 months my Mayo neurologist upped it to 149mg. My results have been miraculous. I have no more headaches. None. I can eat and drink anything. I have my life back. Aimovig was the first injection on the market. I have no experience with others.

16 Likes

I meant 140 mg.

4 Likes

I am glad you finally have relief. This is one of the options my Neurologist is looking at for me … I have had a non-stop migraine for over 28 months. Currently, I am on Memantine, but I am still waking up every day with the migraine which worsens as the day goes on. I have pretty much lost my life … when I do go out it is with two pairs of sunglasses and earplugs, and that is for appointments. I lost my job because I cannot look at a computer screens and I am a program analyst. This app is on my phone which is the only device I can turn down low enough that I can still see things. I can only be on here for short periods of time, though, even with the dim screen. It is wearing on my mental state and getting really old!!!

6 Likes

I am so sorry to hear that. I don’t know anything about your neurologist, but maybe you should get a second opinion. Your situation sounds unusual to me. I can’t even begin to imagine your life. I think that the longest headache I ever had was about 10 days. They used an infusion to stop it. I’m fortunate to go to Mayo Clinic. Good luck.

5 Likes

Thank you. Actually this is the third Neurologist I have been to - the second one was from Cleveland Clinic which has the same reputation as Mayo Clinic, but I live an hour and a half from Cleveland so the daily treatments they wanted to do was not possible. I have to say this last Neuroligist I am seeing is the first one who has actually listened to me, and is realizing I really cannot work like this so is really trying to help.

4 Likes

That’s good. I really hope you get help. Try Aimovig. It has been wonderful for me.

4 Likes

I’m sorry Chicky. That sucks and you are strong to keep fighting. Does the pain ever decreased?

2 Likes

Go see a doctor and get a shot

2 Likes

Go see a doctor it helps

2 Likes

I’ll try it thank you

2 Likes

I agree this has been a life changer. I’m not on shots right now bc my copay is so high I can’t afford it, but I’m looking at getting help with the expense.

2 Likes

Neurologist is looking at this for me. Waiting on authorization from Medicaid.

2 Likes

It lets up to just a band of pain (like I have a too tight hat on) at times, but I’ve never had a day without headache pain since before January 31st, 2017!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback im looking into. I have been on topamax for about 20 yrs. Had migraines since 16 im 60yrs.
Want off topamax started back on botox for migraines did them yrs ago. Need a maintenance…
Keep feeling good

1 Like

They have a coupon that takes care of most of the copay unless you’re on government insurance like Medicare or military insurance. Check out their website.

2 Likes

I know that topamax can cause problems for a lot of people but there are a few people it does work for. I too also tried the shots but I swear it’s like a lot of things start not working as good as we are told they would when 1. You have some of it already in your system. 2. Do U have any idea what that stuff is made of. It’s like REALLY putting a NASTY poison in your system. Find other avenues to go down. Ask people, research some meds and start trying those. A med that I’ve tried and I can say it took a little edge off of my pain was embrace.

1 Like

I’ve been using it for months but doesn’t seem to work either. I’ve been on everything, but no relief.

1 Like

Ty looked into Zembrace its a not a preventive med. Which is what I need. Which is what Topamax is . i just dont like taking pills every night, & when traveling needing to take my bottles. Thats why I was looking to the IJ or stimulation to once a month or few times a months. I have Dr looking to switch to the Zembrace cause it is a diff form of Sumatriplain than straight Imitrax. I may need when I have onset. Thank you .

1 Like

I’ve been able to cut back or eliminate almost all of my migraine medications, including Topamax, since I started taking Aimovig last summer. My Mayo neurologist was a part of the team that developed Aimovig. It was developed after they found a new way to look at how migraines develop, and therefore how to treat them. In terms of medications being “poison,” 50+ years of migraines did a lot of damage to me psychologically, physically, and socially. I couldn’t eat a regular diet because most foods caused migraines, along with the typical causes. I am
now 99% migraine free. I would say that is worth it. Plus there were extensive trials on the medication. The reasoning that medications are all meds are poisonous reminds me of the Anti-Vaxers who would rather expose their children to a deadly disease than vaccinate them because they believe in junk science.

2 Likes

Awesome news Im so happy for you… Will keep you in my thoughts that you continue. Great healing.
Im hoping to start in June. 💜

1 Like